Have you conquered a fear of flying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you conquered a fear of flying?

I've just returned home from a two-month RV trip to visit my daughters in the Midwest (plus attend the M*Fall Forum retreat). The visits were WONDERFUL, but the RV drives were exhausting. In fact there were times when driving the RV was downright dangerous. I will never again drive an RV over the Rocky Mountains.

Why did I do it? Because I'm phobic about flying. But if the RV is out, and my grandchildren live two mountain ranges and 1500 miles away, I am simply going to have to conquer this fear.

Have any of you conquered a fear of flying? What helped you?
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Re: Have you conquered a fear of flying?

Drinking. lol I usually put the headphones on to distract from the noise. When we went to New Zealand it was nine hours. That was two movies and a couple of drinks. lol
    Last edited by Hulamoon; October 17, 2016, 01:23 PM.
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

Shoot! I don't drink.

Yet.
      Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

Xanax! Have the air vent blowing straight into your face and make sure you have someone's arm or hand to have a death grip onto! I have a terrible fear and get very anxious when attempting to fly. It has been a long while for me!
        Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

I take a mild tranqulizer with two sips of booze. If the flight gets bumpy I still cry. A good friend of ours takes panic attack meds. He says they work very well for him. He would not get on a plane but a new job made lots of travel necessary. Now he got the meds from a therapist - not his GP- and checks in with her when he needs more. Now that my daughter has moved back to Brazil I hope to never board a plane again.
          "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
          Hillary Clinton

Comment

I'm not AFRAID of flying, I just find it very painful because my ears won't pop no matter what I try, and inside of an hour, its unbearable. I love small planes though.

Comment

The only time I worry about flying is when we go to Hawaii. I always think it might be awfully easy to miss those islands in the middle of the ocean! I am usually tired when I fly, so I put on my earphones, turn on my iPod and listen to music and fall asleep. Sometimes I'll read till I get tired enough to sleep. When I was flying home from the retreat, I fell asleep. You might remember I was really congested that morning, I think from allergies. I woke up to someone shaking my leg and suspect it was the man across the aisle. Pretty sure the drool on my lower lip was a good indication I was snoring......
              pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

NO! I refuse to fly. We flew once for a cruise we had to go to Florida. A short 2 hour flight. It was easy but I was still tense. But now with another plane crashing every other day, you couldn't get me on a plane , train or bus. If I can't drive it I won't go. Call me chicken but don't want my body parts scattered over several mile radius in the event of disaster.
                sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by bubba View Post
                  The only time I worry about flying is when we go to Hawaii. I always think it might be awfully easy to miss those islands in the middle of the ocean! I am usually tired when I fly, so I put on my earphones, turn on my iPod and listen to music and fall asleep. Sometimes I'll read till I get tired enough to sleep. When I was flying home from the retreat, I fell asleep. You might remember I was really congested that morning, I think from allergies. I woke up to someone shaking my leg and suspect it was the man across the aisle. Pretty sure the drool on my lower lip was a good indication I was snoring......
                  No need to worry. If you take Hawaiian airlines they have one of the best records.

http://www.businessinsider.com/safes...-since-1951-20
                  🌺 Lorie

Comment

My doctor gave me Ativan (lorazepam). It relaxes me so much I usually fall asleep before the plane takes off. The only thing is I can't drive when I take it, so I need to be flying with someone.

Jeannette

Comment

Ditto on the Ativan. I have severe claustrophobia and fear of heights. My son had to have emergency heart surgery so I had to fly to the midwest. The doctor gave me Ativan and told me to take it the night before so I would sleep and take another one a hour before the flight. I was so sleepy they could have tied me to the wing of the plane and I wouldn't have cared. Still, I will never fly again unless it's a dire emergency.
                      :icon_happy:

sigpic

Comment

No, I don't like to fly at all. However, sometimes it is necessary and you take a deep breath, pray,and go. I especially hate takeoffs and landings, except when I feel the wheels hit the tarmac! My eyes are closed and my DH hand is blue from my squeezing it. I've been to Europe and back and all over the U.S.A., so GO. God Bless.

Comment

You have to consider how often there are plane crashes vs cars. Planes are on the news more. But there are way many more deaths from car drivers. So when you sit down say to yourself how many cars you would of passed on that long lonely road or freeway with a teen or drunk driver behind the wheel.
                          🌺 Lorie

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                            No need to worry. If you take Hawaiian airlines they have one of the best records.

http://www.businessinsider.com/safes...-since-1951-20
                            That is what we used to fly, but now we fly Alaska, since we can for free!
                            pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I fly with my husband... I always feel safe with him. Ativan might help.... I take it often for anxiety. I have Ambien if the flight us long... I can take it and go to sleep. I don't drink... but if I was too freaked out on a flight... I might.
                              Last edited by kensington; October 17, 2016, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X