it's happening....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: it's happening....

Oh, and the monkey hat isn't finished! (I have made progress though). I have a lot of CA hats a friend shared, alas none quite appropriate for a manly man. Hugs to you both.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Hang in there Pat. Sending some HUGS to Both of you.

Comment

I'm praying for you and your husband. As to hats, my grandson bought a couple of baseball hats and he wears those to cover up his hair loss. Of course, being 17 he wears them backwards.

Comment

So sorry to hear this. Prayers and hugs for both of you. Been there, done that, with people I love and it really just sux. Hang in there.
          Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
          sigpic

Comment

Pat, I am so sorry for what you're both going through. I can't imagine just how hard it must be.

I will continue to keep you both in my prayers and I hope you both feel better very soon!

Comment

Hi Pat...I am so sorry to hear of your MM problems with the chemo and its side effects. I was a caregiver for my mother as she went through this treatment. She drank a lot of Ensure to help with the nutritional balance. Perhaps that might help. Also, I have knitted a bundle of watch caps or hats that can be worn by either a man or a woman. The yarns are soft and warm. I would like to give some to you if I may. I have always loved to knit, however in FL we usually do not really get cold enough to use the hats or scarves. Please send me your address if you think this might help. If we have any other forum member that might be able to use the hats, please forward me your mailing addresses. Prayers for both you and yours.

Comment

Bald is beautiful! Just get it over with and shave it all. Hats for winter months for sure. I agree with the medical marijuana...wish they'd get on that here better.

Hope Friday is okay and his weekend is good. (((HUGS)))) to you both! xox

Comment

Originally posted by PatinValrico View Post
                  Hi Pat...I am so sorry to hear of your MM problems with the chemo and its side effects. I was a caregiver for my mother as she went through this treatment. She drank a lot of Ensure to help with the nutritional balance. Perhaps that might help. Also, I have knitted a bundle of watch caps or hats that can be worn by either a man or a woman. The yarns are soft and warm. I would like to give some to you if I may. I have always loved to knit, however in FL we usually do not really get cold enough to use the hats or scarves. Please send me your address if you think this might help. If we have any other forum member that might be able to use the hats, please forward me your mailing addresses. Prayers for both you and yours.
                  Pat/Roger Metcalf
                  4303 S J St
                  Tacoma WA 98418

When his mom went thru this, I got her a fantastic hat that was made for snowboarding. It has a drawstring on top so you can open it if you get too warm. I also made her several hats, all of which he refuses to wear, because they were hers.

He is craving things we don't normally have on hand. Last night I made a late night run to the store for Tang and crackers with cheese in a can. When I woke up this morning, he was at the table having both for breakfast!

When I came home after the retreat, being gone just a week, I was surprised at the difference in his appearance. Our daughter had not seen him for two weeks because she was sick and saw him the other night. She was pretty shocked. Seeing him day to day, I think he looks fine, but it was quite a shock to her. I'm sure the younger grandkids will really be scared!
                  pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I'm sorry this is happening it's such a nasty process. I agree with others who have said just go ahead and shave his head. I found it was empowering for me when I did it. Just one little thing you can take control over when there isn't anything else in your control. Try ginger ale instead of coke, it helps settle tummies too. Good wishes to both of you!

Comment

Oddly enough, he has been drinking Squirt, and that tastes fine. We do have ginger ale as well since he likes it mixed with cranberry juice!
                      pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

Comment

When my mother went thru Chemo, other than the metallic taste of some foods, she had no problems with foods or loss of appetite, but did lose her hair after the first round. My MIL on the other hand was the polar opposite, the only thing she could stomach was Butter Pecan ice cream and kept all her hair thru out her treatments.

The reaction to chemo is as varied as individuals are. So if canned cheese and crackers are what he craves and his stomach can tolerate, then by all means canned cheese and crackers it is for breakfast . Glad he's finding some foods that will sustain him thru this tough go round.

Comment

So sorry that you are both having to go through this. I remembered something about a special kind of limes for nausea that are given to cancer patients for free. I did a search for the thread - the talk about the limes is on page 3 in case the link doesn't go right to it - http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/sho...ht=anti+nausea Hoping this is helpful.
                          Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline T. View Post
                            When my mother went thru Chemo, other than the metallic taste of some foods, she had no problems with foods or loss of appetite, but did lose her hair after the first round. My MIL on the other hand was the polar opposite, the only thing she could stomach was Butter Pecan ice cream and kept all her hair thru out her treatments.

The reaction to chemo is as varied as individuals are. So if canned cheese and crackers are what he craves and his stomach can tolerate, then by all means canned cheese and crackers it is for breakfast . Glad he's finding some foods that will sustain him thru this tough go round.
                            He is eating whatever he likes. Funny thing is, I am the one w/the metal taste in my mouth and a lot of foods, and even just looking at the pictures make me almost throw up.

Originally posted by ilive2craft2 View Post
                            So sorry that you are both having to go through this. I remembered something about a special kind of limes for nausea that are given to cancer patients for free. I did a search for the thread - the talk about the limes is on page 3 in case the link doesn't go right to it - http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/sho...ht=anti+nausea Hoping this is helpful.
                            I have the information on the limes....so far he does not want them.
                            pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

Comment

Bubba, I'm sorry to hear of mm's illness and difficult treatment. My thoughts are with both of you. I don't know what else to say as this isn't anything I've experienced. Just know I'm thinking of you and sending good thoughts and prayers your way.

Btw, I can totally relate to the "sympathetic illness" you feel when mm is feeling sick. That totally happens to me whenever my husband or kids are ill - even when they tell me over the phone! My husband is traveling (Austin/Denver) this week. He has a really bad cold. Everytime he calls me my throat starts to hurt! Then I feel better until he calls again! So weird!

Anyhow, hugs and thoughts to both of you.

Comment

Originally posted by kaydee View Post

Btw, I can totally relate to the "sympathetic illness" you feel when mm is feeling sick. That totally happens to me whenever my husband or kids are ill - even when they tell me over the phone! My husband is traveling (Austin/Denver) this week. He has a really bad cold. Everytime he calls me my throat starts to hurt! Then I feel better until he calls again! So weird!
                                What I have is not sympathetic. I have reactions to the poisons they are putting into him as they leave his body. It's quite odd. The oncologist thought I was crazy, but we have since found information on it and it is a true thing.
                                pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X