Prep & prayer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prep & prayer

Here in the middle of North Carolina we are getting our usual hurricane rain and wind. Our worries are trees falling which damages homes and takes out the power for several days. Spent the morning getting everything off the porches and adding extra hoses to the rain barrels to move the water away from the house. Made sure there is plenty of lamp oil for the hurricane lamps and filled the sun tea jars with water for drinking. The woods behind our house goes up to the property line and so I'm praying the giant pine trees will stay upright and not fall over on my little house. After surfing the forum I'll make more tea and some pimento cheese for sandwiches in case we lose power. I have also prepped for the next several days of rain as far as doing some serious quilting. I have a quilt ready to sandwich, one that needs piecing and one more that is ready to cut. With the rain and dreary day I think a nap is also in order!
    :icon_happy:

sigpic

Re: Prep & prayer

Prayers for you and yours from Florida. We have the Grandfather Oaks on our property so I am familiar with the "We have weak trees!" phenomena. Stay safe and keep us posted as time and power allow.

Comment

Sounds like you have planned well. Stay safe.
      Karen
      Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

When I was growing up in Mich., and a storm was anticipated, my mom used to partially fill the bathtub with water so there would be water to flush the toilet or for washing hands, etc. If the power went out, we had no water, because we lived in a rural area and had a well. She also would fill several of her large kettles in the kitchen for drinking water. If it was winter time, we still had heat with the big coal furnace. Just no fan to circulate it. I remember hearing my dad shake down the coals/clinkers each morning when he went to the bsmt. to build up the fire. I hope your power stays on so you can get lots of quilting done.

Comment

Prayers from S.W. Florida. SIL and her family live in Wilmington S.C. DH talked to her this am. She's well prepared and has a place to go if things get really bad. She's 5 miles inland, not far from the Fear River, but 30 ft above sea level. She also has lots of trees behind her apartment complex.
          Pat glad to see your post Hope all your quests go home to homes & barns intact. Kathy
          All quilts cat tested and approved.
          sigpic

Comment

My prayers are with you and I sure hope you have a generator to go with that sewing machine of yours :-)
            https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
            Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Carlie Wolf View Post
              My prayers are with you and I sure hope you have a generator to go with that sewing machine of yours :-)
              Every time single time we have bad weather I swear I'm going to buy a generator just to keep the freezer going. After the weather dies down I let DH talk me out of buying one.
              Thanks to everyone for the prayers.

sigpic

Comment

Well, looks like Matthew went a shore just below Wilmington SC. TV shows lots of water,downed trees,and lots of other debris. SIL said she would call when she could. Prayers for those forum friends who live there. Kathy
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Carolnnc View Post
                  Every time single time we have bad weather I swear I'm going to buy a generator just to keep the freezer going. After the weather dies down I let DH talk me out of buying one.
                  Thanks to everyone for the prayers.
                  Invest in a generator just it's presence wards off storms. Kathy
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mischiefkat View Post
                    Well, looks like Matthew went a shore just below Wilmington SC. TV shows lots of water,downed trees,and lots of other debris. SIL said she would call when she could. Prayers for those forum friends who live there. Kathy
                    Looks like I don't know my geography very well. Kathy
                    sigpic

Comment

Just be safe everyone. Yes, generators do come in handy. We kept saying we were going to get one, then Sandy hit - no power for several days. Bought a generator a couple of months later. Had an electrician come in to wire things up - was 2 years before we needed it - BUT- it was there. Peace of mind just knowing it was there to use.

Comment

We got ours after Charlie hit.Used it while we lived in the pop up on our front lawn. DH converted it to propane with 2 40 gallon tanks. The only bad thing about gas generators is you need a supply of gas and to change the oil after so many hours of use. But that was 11 years ago,and maybe generators are different now. Like I said generator sits ready & waiting in the shed. DH fires it up the start of Hurricane Season every year . Kathy
                        sigpic

Comment

The wind is raging here in the mountains of NC and I understand there isn't a hotel room left in 5 counties from the evacuation. The leaves are swirling and they didn't even get a chance to change color since we haven't had rain in weeks. Certainly a strange year.
                          Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                          Terry

Comment

We made it through and lost power for only an hour. Friends who live barely seven miles from us lost power yesterday afternoon and are still waiting for it to come back on. DH had to go into work at 4am since the power went off at the store and they have to move all the meats into the walk in coolers and freezer.
                            This is the first time I've ever packed a to go bag and put my notebook of phone and policy numbers by the front door. DH laughed when he caught me wrapping my babies (sewing machines) in a feather bed and hiding them under the hanging clothes in the walk in closet. I figured if a tree fell on the house it might save help save them.
                            I am definitely not getting talked out a generator this time.
                            Thanks for all the prayers!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X