Knitting (?) What is this tool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Knitting (?) What is this tool?

I'm not into latch-hook either (and don't need yet ANOTHER craft to take up!), but thanks anyway.

I AM into searching, though, and this was just too much fun to pass up. I was about ready to go to bed last night when the rug wool idea came to me and I couldn't go to sleep until I checked it out.

Isn't the internet a wonder?!? Pre-internet days, my librarian friend and I searched for two years for a recipe to replicate some green pepper jam she'd bought. The recipe fell into my lap one night when I opened my mail from a community gardening program. Today we would have been able to find a recipe in maybe 5 minutes!!

-- Ruth Ann
    Ruth Ann in MA

Comment

Originally posted by tms View Post
      Hi,

Can anyone tell me what the red tool in this picture is? It's in the bottom row just to the right of center. I recently acquired one with no packaging. I have been unable to find any information on the Internet other than this picture, and when I try to magnify it, the text is too fuzzy to read.

I'll probably have a "duh!" moment when I find out what it is, but any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
      Teresa

(I hope the picture displays OK.)
      I just joined the group recently. I was poking around and found this thread. Did you ever find out what the tool was and it's use? Curiosity has gotten the better of me.
      Barbara W.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbara W View Post
        I just joined the group recently. I was poking around and found this thread. Did you ever find out what the tool was and it's use? Curiosity has gotten the better of me.
        Barbara W.
        Hi Barbara,

If you look at the last couple of posts before yours you will see that Ruth Ann brilliantly discovered that it is a tool to cut yarn for latch hooking. The links she posted are very helpful for seeing it's packaging and how it's used (and it wasn't for knitting at all . You may need to click something to view the entire thread rather than just the first page of posts.

Teresa

Comment

Looks like a modern version of a button hook to me,for closing the coverall silver jeans buttons.Other than that ive never seen this tool before lol.
          Tatting needle is a long lost art these days eh?
          Quilting is good therapy.

Comment

ok.. now i have got to see what it is..

i worked in a yarn shop for years... this is new to me.... but i hope we all find out...

i'm thinking in the "bobbin dept.".. for winding and carring little amounts of yarn in intarsia, but it's way too big.... gonna "google" a bit as well...bj

sorry, didn't read thru.....but does it have a blade? or do you cut "wound pieces".....
            we used to sell a rug yarn cutter with a crank handle,,, but it held a razor blade... just curious..
            Last edited by GrammaBabs; September 7, 2010, 03:06 PM.
            "Each day well-lived and Happy;
            that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

Originally posted by GrammaBabs View Post
              ok.. now i have got to see what it is..

i worked in a yarn shop for years... this is new to me.... but i hope we all find out...

i'm thinking in the "bobbin dept.".. for winding and carring little amounts of yarn in intarsia, but it's way too big.... gonna "google" a bit as well...bj

sorry, didn't read thru.....but does it have a blade? or do you cut "wound pieces".....
              we used to sell a rug yarn cutter with a crank handle,,, but it held a razor blade... just curious..
              No blade. After you wind the yarn around it you cut by inserting your scissors in the open groove in the middle. For 2 1/2" pieces you cut through both layers of yarn. For 5" pieces you cut through one layer. I suppose you could slice them with a razor blade or box cutter or something like that, though.

Teresa

Comment

Working...
              X