X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hulamoon
    replied
    Re: Facebook Is for the Birds! A rant

I only signed up to catch up with my kids. One of my dd's sends pictures email because she doesn't use fb much either. What turned me off was a guy from high school that was coming to Kauai and wanted to meet up with me. He had a crush back then and I found out he was getting a divorce. FB is much too creepy for me. lol

Leave a comment:

• tsladaritz
    replied

I like it and it allows me to follow along with several family members who lives a few states or cities away. Otherwise I would not know what is going on with them.

I am careful not to post a lot of info on there. In fact I have very little personal info on the internet. But people think "I won't post this on facebook or I will post it in a special place" so it is safe. Once something is on the web or is general public info...it is out there. It stays out there...floating around. So I always try to be positive and friendly. I don't want to regret saying something later- like being rude or harsh.

AS for posting and someone else posting. I do that as a response sometimes in the vein of, "Oh it is a great idea and I had a thought just like you!" or maybe "Yours turned out great, maybe my next one will be that good". It is not always about comparing. Sometimes it is just friendly chit chat. Or at least it is on my end.

The ones who like to argue, I ignore. They have more time on their hands to think up all these negative thoughts. ;-)

Leave a comment:

• RockinLou
    replied

Originally posted by Sheep Farmer View Post
    I think in the final analysis it really depends on who your "friends" are on Facebook. If you've got a bunch of idiots on your "friends" list, just unfriend them and only keep friends that you enjoy reading about.
    This is the key to Facebook happiness. If you don't like someone or the things they do, then you don't need to be be their cyber-friend too. I use facebook often, as I live 12000 miles from "home" and family. I actually don't have a single friend on there that I don't know in person and wouldn't want to spend the day with given the opportunity.

There is a lot of negativity in the real world too, and if you don't want it in your life you can tune it out, shut it down, or walk away. Don't open the door to negativity.

Original post said "I guess I'm jealous. Or they are. I'm not sure. And that is why Facebook is the devil. It stirs up too much envy." Isn't it entirely possible that you inspired this other family to also do something cool and fun together? How are you 100% certain that it is negative?

I'm sorry if I'm being redundant, I have not read all four pages of responses.

Leave a comment:

• SallyO'Sews
    replied

Years ago, my then 20-something son informed me that if I wanted to keep up with my kids, I needed to be on FB. I signed up and almost immediately was innundated with friend requests from college classmates of two of my DDs. I'm still friends with a lot of them, and am glad to keep in touch. I've also been reunited with several high school friends over FB; these are not folks I will ever be close to again, but it's nice to reconnect and see photos of them and their families.

My FB friends run the gamut of background, age, and life experience. Especially with my children's friends (all 20- and 30-somethings), I try to encourage them when they post something I agree with, and ignore those I don't. Happily, since I'm pretty much right about everything anyway, I don't have to become embroiled in FB arguments!

Leave a comment:

• cv quilter
    replied

Originally posted by Kenz View Post
    I know the social media thing is how people communicate these days, but I think it's a forum for braggarts and narcissists. People just can't help but "one up" you. You sew a quilt. They've sewn 5. You exercise an hour. They ran for two. I actually don't post that I've exercised or went to the potty or drank coffee, but I have posted a video of a fun activity we did as a family. A short time later someone else (another mom) posts the same darn thing, except they had bigger and better equipment to use. I guess I'm jealous. Or they are. I'm not sure. And that is why Facebook is the devil. It stirs up too much envy.
    I an SO with you. I did FB for some time to try to catch up with family, but was hacked/compromised and stopped. I did not like the "everyday banter and things I did NOT need to know and decided to "bow out!". It's Ok, I don't really miss it! Life is so much simpler and A O K!

Leave a comment:

• Lyndaj
    replied

I also wanted to say that Facebook has some of the best groups on the internet. My highlights are the Just Sews group and Run Junkees group. Both of these groups have provided me with much needed help and enjoyment. My recent search for a serger was put up on the Just Sews group and I got a lot of valuable advice prior to purchasing. There is lots that's good on Facebook.

Leave a comment:

• snippet
    replied

I joined to keep tabs on my kids years ago. Back then I friended nearly everyone I knew. But I noticed how silly it was for me to see photos of an old high school friend's grandchildren on their first day of school. So I deleted nearly everyone, leaving only my kids and close relatives and a few friends. I also have several quilt groups that I follow.

I've gotten pretty good at managing my notifications. I turn most of them off except for my kids. Other people post, but I don't get a beep or alert about them. I'll get to them when I read FB.

I like FB, but it does take some work to keep it from getting to be a time suck (as Sue Dee's said so eloquently) and from being too personal.

Leave a comment:

• MayinJerset
    replied

I agree with the not posting personal info.
    On my FB profile I chose some obscure village in Poland as my "home."
    That's really funny and smart too. I did list schools I attended and a few years ago an author contacted me and asked if I knew Kitty Genovese in high school. I did and eventually shared my few memories with the author and many of my quotes were included in her award winning book, she even closed the book with a quote of mine. Also attended a conference at Fordam University and did a TV interview so that experience isn't the usual FB occurance.

I have a small list of FB friends and X out any "suggested" friends. Love seeing photos of family and friends who live away from us. I post mostly my newest quilts and make comments only for friends and occasionally on a site about the neighborhood I grew up in in Brooklyn, NY.

Leave a comment:

• Rhealene
    replied

I have a love/hate relationship with FB...lol. When I was still doing nails (nail tech) I had all kinds of people friending me...clients, wanna be clients and just lookie-loos ..I posted lots of pics of my artwork on nails there. Always lots of questions..mostly from people I didn't even know but wanted on my FB...I guess to check out my work. I really got tired of trying to keep up..plus seeing people's drama and constant vulgarity really got to be irritating. So..I finally created a business page and told them all to like my page if they wanted to see my work and do nail talk..announced it on my personal page and a couple of weeks later deleted them all off my personal page. My personal page is now family only..mine and my husband's..we don't live near any of them so we keep in touch thru FB mostly. Back in April, because of a lot of layoffs in my area, my client base fell off quite a bit so I decided to close up shop, I may go back to it if our economy ever gets better but nails are a luxury for most women not a necessity. I left my business page up until August and finally took it down. I won't ever put clients/potential clients or lookie-loos on my personal page again...it just always felt way too invasive to me..mixing business stuff, pics and whatever with my personal life stuff. I feel a lot less stressed since removing all but family on my FB. I am a member of lots of groups on FB and I really enjoy those.
    Last edited by Rhealene; October 5, 2016, 06:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• GuitarGramma
    replied

I agree with the not posting personal info.
    On my FB profile I chose some obscure village in Poland as my "home."
    Brilliant! I love this idea.

Leave a comment:

• MaryD
    replied

I have SIX friends on facebook - all very close relatives. I rarely post anything and avoid the 'like' button like the plague.

I think it is really CREEPY seeing ads from companies where I might have browsed on the web, appear in my feed and I'm inclined to avoid using those companies.

Not a fan, but useful. I can't imagine having hundreds of 'friends'.

Leave a comment:

• Carlie Wolf
    replied

I don't particularly care for FB but joined because sometimes someone I know does post something I probably need to know then also I sometimes put my items for sale on it. For a while I tried to keep up on the local garage sales and lost dogs and such when I worked for the local dog rescue. I don't fill out anything on FB that has my personal information, if they say I HAVE TO then I lie, lie, lie. I'm no good at FB and I get annoyed at having to delete all the posts that are not from people I know. I've finally figured out to keep the "friends" I selected which I didn't sign up for hardly any other then a few relatives. I hate hate hate that particularly lately I have to go through about 6 image lines of those "you might also know". For me, it's a s l o w p a i n f u l process.

Leave a comment:

• Iris Girl
    replied

I also agree about the social media. The only thing I even have FB for is the NCW group and will never do more.

Leave a comment:

• Suzette
    replied

I think fb is as good or bad as you choose for it to be. I love it for staying in touch with friends and family (we are nice to each other!) lol

I also use it to follow what is going on in my home town and I am part of three amazing, wonderful groups that are only on fb.

There is definitely a lot of crap on fb and lots of nasty, narrow-minded and trouble making people. I simply steer clear of them. I don't engage them in any way. And as others have said, I keep my own comments positive or I say nothing at all.

So for me, fb is wonderful. But it takes an effort to use it this way and not get sucked in to other people's drama.

Leave a comment:

• sewluvit
    replied

I have mixed feelings about fb. I love that I at least see pics of our grandkids lives as we live quite far away from them and would be really left out without it. I do have a small friends list as well and have no desire for more.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X