Facebook Is for the Birds! A rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Facebook Is for the Birds! A rant

I know the social media thing is how people communicate these days, but I think it's a forum for braggarts and narcissists. People just can't help but "one up" you. You sew a quilt. They've sewn 5. You exercise an hour. They ran for two. I actually don't post that I've exercised or went to the potty or drank coffee, but I have posted a video of a fun activity we did as a family. A short time later someone else (another mom) posts the same darn thing, except they had bigger and better equipment to use. I guess I'm jealous. Or they are. I'm not sure. And that is why Facebook is the devil. It stirs up too much envy.

Re: Facebook Is for the Birds! A rant

I couldn't agree more!!! You are 100% correct, Facebook is the devil. I have always said that Facebook will be the downfall of society! I've never been on nor will I ever be on it. The closest I have come is watching that horror movie, "Unfriended"......LOL.

Comment

I love Facebook. However, like this forum, I watch very carefully what I say and do there. I think first before posting anything and will only respond in a positive way.

Comment

I've never had any desire to be on fb. It seems like most people are on it. I e-m'd a relative that I'd heard a niece got re-married. I asked her when, who she married, etc. Her curt response was that was old news. I needed to get on fb. Not gonna happen.

Comment

I finally had to get a FB account just to use it to sell stuff. Can't use theirs if you don't have yours. However, I don't post crap on it, nor share it with anyone. Being an Alice Cooper fan, I linked to his webpage just to keep mine mobile.

Comment

I absolutely LOVE Facebook! I do not live anywhere near any friends or relatives, so I am so happy to be involved in their lives via Facebook. And when I read of a happening in their lives, it is always a good chance for me to call them to chat about the good news. I love seeing their photos and they enjoy seeing photos of my farm life.

I think in the final analysis it really depends on who your "friends" are on Facebook. If you've got a bunch of idiots on your "friends" list, just unfriend them and only keep friends that you enjoy reading about.

Sheep Farmer by day....sigpic....Quilter-in-Training by night
            The Farmmyfarm

Comment

If it weren't for facebook, I would never know what the grandchildren are doing. They don't e mail any more. It is partly my fault since I don't have a smart phone and text. But at least they still go to facebook to see what is going on in the world.

Comment

I have a facebook acct that I got to post about what we were doing at the restaurant. THen one day, I get a call from ASCAP (the music people) that I owe $750 for having live music. I told the people I didn't have live music and they said that on new years eve, we had karaoke and that was using other peoples music and we had to pay. I said, how did you know that and they said it was on my facebook. It was spur of the moment and someone had just gotten a karaoke machine and wanted to try it out with their friends so I fb'd it to let everyone know they would be there. The ASCAP people had the name of our restaurant, looked up the ownership and then went to my FB to find this. Little to do. I don't post anything on it anymore. My children know that I don't go there and therefore are responsible to keep me up on the news of my grandchildren. Sometimes I think it would be good but it leaves me feeling empty to view without invitation. You know, "hey mom, look at these pictures". Probably silly of me, but I don't like "big brother watching me"
                Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                Terry

Comment

My late brother-in-law and I had a two-person "I Hate Facebook" club. I had to join to help my DD win a scholarship, believe it or not. I got creeped out immediately by FB pushing possible friends at me, all of whom I knew. (Turned out that another DD had opened her friend list to my FB account, but I got I didn't know that at the time.)

Here's how I deal with Facebook: Once a week or so, I go read what everyone else has posted. It's been years since I've created a post myself; all I do is make encouraging comments to my FB friends. This keeps me informed about friends and family who depend upon FB, but also maintains my privacy to some extent.
                  Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

Living far away from family (love that), Facebook helps me keep up with what everyone is doing. I seldom post, but when I do, I am just careful what is said. I love seeing all the pics the kids put up (even mine).
                    Karen
                    Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

As a former Navy wife/family we moved often and back in those days keeping in touch with other family/friends who also were moving was extremely difficult and we lost touch with many friends. Thanks to Facebook we have reconnected with some and now we travel to parts of the US unknown to visit. FB has been good to us.
                      Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Comment

Originally posted by Sheep Farmer View Post
                        I absolutely LOVE Facebook! I do not live anywhere near any friends or relatives, so I am so happy to be involved in their lives via Facebook. And when I read of a happening in their lives, it is always a good chance for me to call them to chat about the good news. I love seeing their photos and they enjoy seeing photos of my farm life.

I think in the final analysis it really depends on who your "friends" are on Facebook. If you've got a bunch of idiots on your "friends" list, just unfriend them and only keep friends that you enjoy reading about.
                        This is how I feel. I live way too far from family and longtime friends. It just gives me a chance to see what is going on in their world and to share my life with them. I have reconnected with friends from high school that I haven't seen in 30 years. And a favorite teacher from high school is on FB as well. I love having those connections. I do get tired of some people that post incessantly and I choose not to follow them or hide their posts. Friends that I live near now don't get FB but for the most part they have friends and family nearby. For people that live far away is is a blessing.

Comment

I hate it but I use it as my family is huge and spread out all over the US. There are also lots of them that won't get to together with certain others. It keeps me up to date with family and distant friends but I almost never post except pictures of my dogs or my quilts. I go in regularly and update my privacy settings. Updates and changes in terms can make changes to those settings. Its hard sometimes for people to not over share thinking they are private when in fact your not.
                          Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Comment

It's what you make of it. I got on because i had kids living far away. It was an easy way to keep in touch. We still have other family out of the area and it helps us keep in touch, see how the kids are growing etc.
                            If you feel there is too much"one-upmanship" eliminate those that annoy you. You don't need to be friends with everyone. Or just block them.
                            “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

I love facebook for the all of the facebook groups in my areas of interest: sewing, genealogy, scan & cut, etc. They are simply fantastic for that purpose, and that is the main thing I use fb for. (I have no grandchildren yet.)

As far as the social end goes, I have had to learn to manage it. If someone is being a jerk, unfriend them or at the very least unfollow them. If you can't unfriend them b/c they're family or whatever, then form your own custom group(s) of friends and manage who sees what. Be picky about who you add as friends. You don't have to accept all friend requests!

I find it ridiculous the number of "friends" some people have -- like it's some kind of competition. I recently saw a friend of my daughter (mid 20s) post on her fb page that she got engaged. 27 people congratulated her. She had over 650 friends. Time to whittle that friends list down!

I do enjoy seeing pics of other people and their kids and hearing what they're doing. I think people who try to one-up other people's posts are probably more insecure than anything else. Just ignore them if you can't delete them. Remember why you are making the post and the people who truly care about you and appreciate your posts. Ignore the rest.

Comment

Working...
                              X