Don't delay!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't delay!!!

I've reconnected with my college sweetheart. We lost touch in the late seventies. Thanks to Facebook we found each other and have had some fun reminiscing about our past together. Recently I learned that he has stage 4 rectal cancer which has spread to his liver. Without treatment he was told he'd have 2 to 3 months. With treatment maybe 2 to 3 years. Please, please, please - if you are at least 50 and you have not had a colonoscopy make an appointment and get it done. This is one of those silent killers that is treatable if caught early. I don't understand why people hesitate to have this testing done especially when insurance covers it. There are a few days of prep and then off to dreamland and when you wake up it's over. He is the second person I am friends with that has developed cancer in this part of the body. Fortunately, my other friend took his mother's advice and was tested only to discover that he had colon cancer. He's been luckier since they caught his early.

Here's a quote from one website I visited - "For example, if your relative was diagnosed with colon cancer at the age of 50, you need to start screening at the age of 40. Screening for colon cancer for an average risk individual includes a colonoscopy every 10 years or a sigmoidoscopy every 5 years, in addition to a hemacult (blood in the stool) test every year."
    Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; October 3, 2016, 11:18 AM.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Re: Don't delay!!!

I'm due for one. Really easy to put it off.

Comment

A colonoscopy saved my Mom's life. I have them on schedule. DH is having one tomorrow.

Comment

My husband at age 38 was discovered to be anemic. Thankfully our doctor didn't write it off to all of his double red blood donations, and after doing a few minor tests, determined that he needed a colonoscopy. They found three pre-cancerous polyps. He then went in for a 3 year, was clean so did a 5 year, found more polyps so he's back to 3 years (will have one in spring). There is some family history of colon cancer. If he would've waited until he turned 50 (this year), we would've been looking at cancer.

Sorry to hear about your friend!

Comment

My son was diagnosed at 33 years of age, hes now 46. At that time while at the hospital there was a support group of about 15 you men all 17 19 years old. It affects all age groups, my dad was diagnosed at age 84.

Comment

Rebecca i'm sorry to hear about your friend.I have a friend that absolutely refuses to be tested,I just don't understand.
            :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

I'm a male...3 maternal uncles died of colon cancer..have been getting colonoscopies every 3 years for past 22 years...polyps in all but most recent..still on 3 year schedule..preps have gotten better and better so now it's not bad at all. It's a no brainer for me.

Comment

I have had two myself, polyps removed the first time, clear the second time. It really isn't so bad considering the alternative to not having it done.
                Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I have had this done already also and will have it done regularly for sure. Although it's not pleasant, as Monique said, the alternative could be much, much worse.

Comment

Glad to hear you guys are staying on top of this important testing. I wish everyone would follow your example.
                    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

And, the doctor recommended "don't need past age 80", is ridiculous! Insist on having it done anyway. If you just say, "having a few issues and would like to be checked with a colonoscopy", insurance covers it. My Mom was diligent about her colonoscopies and then stopped after 80. Well, last October she was diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer and unfortunately died in February at age 85. The prep can be a pain in the a$$ (pun intended) but the procedure itself is cake. Walk out of there like nothing happened. I too have friends that have been diagnosed or died from this Very preventable type of cancer. I also have friends that stupidly and stubbornly don't get the test done!
                      I am Sew Blessed!
                      Alina

Comment

Working...
                      X