Diagnosis Cancer Update / test results are in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diagnosis Cancer Update / test results are in

The results were mixed. Bone marrow biopsy and cat scan showed more lymph nodes are "involved" than originally thought. Now the oncologist believes my husband should have chemo, 2 consecutive days a week then 3 weeks off, for 6 months. After that he is looking at probable radiation, how many weeks not sure yet. He is scheduled for a PET scan next week and a visit to yet another new doctor, a radiation oncologist. I guess the two doctors will jointly decide on the best treatment plan. Something was also mentioned about possible immunotherapy at some point but my brain didn't quite take that part all in.

I know this all sounds pretty horrible but believe it or not the doctor said the test results were actually "good" (his words), he is just at the beginning of stage 2, and while this is not curable it is very treatable, or very possible to get it into remission. My husband is pretty upbeat, not thrilled about the treatment part of course, but I think he is handling it well. Partly I think because he feels so normal and not sick right now. To me the whole thing is kind of surreal.

DH is finally coming around about telling our daughters. Originally he did not want to worry them but it would be nearly impossible to keep 6 months+ of treatment a secret. Also, our oldest GD is 5 and in kindergarten so at this age you know gets frequent colds, sore throats and what have you--so it will be important not to bring those germs around here when he is in treatment. I think he will be telling them in about two weeks, after he meets with the rad oncologist and gets his treatment calendar and PET scan results. They will be upset of course but I think given time they will be able to look at this as a medical crisis of sorts rather than a death sentence. At least that is how I am looking at it. And that is where we are at right now. I am still not that comfortable doing too much reading up on this. There is so much on the internet but it is so easy to get on the wrong track and inadvertently read things that are about entirely different cancers than what he has. The situation is complicated enough and I believe we are getting enough info from the doctor who is also very good about sharing questions and each appt has been at least an hour and we are not rushed so he can hurry up and get to the next patient.
    Last edited by jjkaiser; September 29, 2016, 10:24 PM.

Re: Diagnosis Cancer Update / test results are in

My thoughts are with both you and your husband!
    Rescued is my favorite breed.

Comment

Hugs and prayers. Keep possitive thoughts in your head too.
      Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
      sigpic

Comment

Half of the battle is attitude and it sounds like you both have that under control.I wish you and your husband the best going forward in this fight.I will keep you in my prayers.
        :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

The two best places to look are American Cancer Society or Leukemia Lymphoma Society, the rest are sometimes to get you to buy some miracle product. Prayers for your hubby to be healed in Jesus name, amen. Your quilts will comfort you and him, make him a special one to keep warm.

Comment

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Comment

Keeping you and your family in prayers.
              Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Many prayers and thoughts sent your way!

Comment

Prayers for your family!!

Comment

The prayers are continuing!
                    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Positive thoughts and prayers are with you and DH. So glad you are both upbeat about it and it's always good to keep a strong attitude.
                      A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

Prayers and hugs to you and your family. If you need to "talk," we're here to listen.
                        Cindy

Comment

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Comment

sounds like you guys are in good hands. I'm glad you decided not to look things up online and trust your docs. Also glad he decided to tell the family. They deserve to know. Thinking of you both. xox

Comment

Keeping both of you in my thoughts and prayers.

Comment

Working...
                              X