Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you reading?

READING BOOKS.jpg

Always interested in finding out what others are reading and whether they are enjoying it and why.

Do you read only certain types of books (novels or fiction) or just read anything that peeks your interest?

Do you read Kindle or prefer traditional hard books?

Re: What are you reading?

Hi May, Right now I am reading Whistling Past the Graveyard. It's good so far. The last book I read was Saving CeeCee Honeycutt and I really liked it.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

Great thread!!
      Well, I'm a member of the https://www.goodreads.com/group/show...ar-in-52-books group on Goodreads.com. The idea is 52 different categories for a book/week for the year. It does get one to read sometimes out of their comfort level and different genres. I usually have one book I'm listening to on audio during commutes, one on Kindle app on my phone, another on my actual Kindle and sometimes a real book too. I'm also in a real-life bookclub. No TV for me - Love to read!

I'm currently listening to: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...e-angel-s-game
      just finished reading: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/42899.Dark_Lover (can you say paranormal vampire romance? )
      reading on Kindle: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...nderland-creek
      picking up today at library: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...om_search=true

I'm trying to get together a 52 book/year challenge on Goodreads that is almost all Christian categories and books that would help the readers grow in their Christian faith. If anyone is interested, message me and I'll send out any info when the 52 categories are established for 2017.
      I am Sew Blessed!
      Alina

Comment

I love to read! I'd rather read a good book than watch TV. Right now I'm reading Kathy Herman's books. She writes Christian fiction mysteries, with a bit of romance thrown in. They're great who-done-it books. Really hard to put down. I've borrowed all hers from my church library. I've ordered others from thriftbooks.com. I'm waiting for them to come. I've ordered a lot of books from them of recent years. I like to read a series all in order & not wait a year or more in between books. I read mostly Christian fiction. I love Amish fiction -- Beverly Lewis, Cindy Woodsmall & many others. I prefer to hold the book in my hand. I do not own a Kindle & I don't listen to audio books.

One of my other favorite authors is Catherine Cookson. I have a collection of her books (but no where near all of them), some of which I've read 2-3 times. In real life, she had a very hard life. Three of the books I have are autobiographical. One shows pics of where she grew up, etc.

I read the Bible every day. I read the Bible through in its entirety every year. I enjoy in depth study at Bible Study Fellowship.

I have a book going all the time. I read during the TV commercials, when I eat or have a snack (DH & I usually don't eat at the same times), while waiting in a dr.'s office, etc. I read somewhere between 100-150 books a year. It's probably my most favorite past time. I know I spend more time reading than I do quilting.

Comment

I am currently reading Girl on the Train, in prep for the movie. it found on slowly, but am really enjoying it now.
          Wendy
          http://www.pinterest.com/wlrich2/boards/

Comment

I recently read the Inspector Gamache books by Louise Penny.
            If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

I'm reading "Yoga and body image", as well as a book on Mindfullness. Great book. Very into self help these days.
              sigpic~~Libby~~

Quilters make great comforters.

Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness.

Comment

Have two oldies for me that I just pulled off the bookshelf. Going on a trip and need some reading material.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
                Pawn of Prophecy (the first in the Belgariad series)

Comment

I love to read and find time to do so everyday. I don't care for mysteries but love historically based books. Right now I am reading The Midwife's Revolt by Jodi Daynard. It is set during the American Revolution and I am really enjoying it. I also like contemporary romance novels. Catherine Bybee is a great author. Before I received my first Kindle several years ago I read a lot of Nora Roberts. Actually got to meet her at a local bookstore in my small town several years ago. She was very nice, however, I find her books on Kindle to be too expensive. There are too many up and coming authors to pay that kind of money for the Kindle editions. I have three book websites that offer free books or at extremely reduced prices. ereaderiq.com; dailyfreebooks.com and bookbub.com are three great sources. Plus Amazon offers free books, too. I am also a great fan of Pride & Prejudice and love the sequels that are constantly being written. Thus my Janome 7700 is known as "Darcy" (unless it is acting up and then I refer to it as Wickham, lol) and my embroidery machine is named Lizzie.

Yes, Kindle is my first choice. At first I couldn't imagine not reading a regular book but when my son bought me my first one I was hooked. I read it in the negative, black background with white letters. Much easier on these old eyes.
                  Gerri

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Comment

I love reading and like all kinds of modern books or era and prefer the physical book, although i understand that when the virtual book is traveling is more comfortable. I really like the Spanish authors but also I read translations of writers in English, I am now reading "Maya´s notebook" by Isabel Allende and when I finish I "Shadow of the Eagle" by Arturo Perez-Reverte two writers very different but I like a lot

Comment

I am a non-fiction reader...memoirs and things as such

Comment

I listen to a lot of audiobooks and have been a member of audible.com since 2005. I listen in the car, when sewing and when working in the kitchen. I also read a lot of books on Kindle. I LOVE my Kindle! I always read to go to sleep at night and with a Kindle, my place is always saved whe I fall asleep. I mostly read mysterys but also read other ficton, some history and biographys. I recently finished the newest J A Jance novel, Downfall, as well as the Louise Penny novel, A Great Reckoning. Both are highly recommended. Today I finished The Things We Wished Were True by Marybeth Mayhew Whalen and it was really good. I listen to about 10 books a month and read about 9 on Kindle.
                        Rescued is my favorite breed.

Comment

Did you know that you can download books to your kindle from your library? Its free.
                          Originally posted by Grandma G View Post
                          I love to read and find time to do so everyday. I don't care for mysteries but love historically based books. Right now I am reading The Midwife's Revolt by Jodi Daynard. It is set during the American Revolution and I am really enjoying it. I also like contemporary romance novels. Catherine Bybee is a great author. Before I received my first Kindle several years ago I read a lot of Nora Roberts. Actually got to meet her at a local bookstore in my small town several years ago. She was very nice, however, I find her books on Kindle to be too expensive. There are too many up and coming authors to pay that kind of money for the Kindle editions. I have three book websites that offer free books or at extremely reduced prices. ereaderiq.com; dailyfreebooks.com and bookbub.com are three great sources. Plus Amazon offers free books, too. I am also a great fan of Pride & Prejudice and love the sequels that are constantly being written. Thus my Janome 7700 is known as "Darcy" (unless it is acting up and then I refer to it as Wickham, lol) and my embroidery machine is named Lizzie.

Yes, Kindle is my first choice. At first I couldn't imagine not reading a regular book but when my son bought me my first one I was hooked. I read it in the negative, black background with white letters. Much easier on these old eyes.
                          Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                          Terry

Comment

I haven't been reading much lately. I'm sort of a news junky. I highly recommend this one. It's on the older side but so relevant today. I couldn't put it down.

https://www.amazon.com/Stolen-Lives-...s=stolen+lives
                            🌺 Lorie

Comment

I am an avid reader and read 2-3 books per week usually on my Kindle because I can download them from the library website for free. I was spending a fortune at used book stores and Sams Club to buy books. I do enjoy holding a book and sometimes I treat myself to the real thing, but I'd rather have the money to buy quilt fabric.
                              Anyway, I love legal suspense like Michael Connelly (i.e. Lincoln Lawyer) and have read all of his books, James Patterson, I've read all of his, John Sandford, all of his, Lee Child, all of his, Steve Berry, tim Green, James Rollins...Jonathan Kellerman, David Balladaci
                              I , too love series books because the characters are so familiar. I dislike romance novels but sometimes I get in the mood for really light reading and like things like Janet Evanovich.
                              There are a lot of books out there but its always nice if there is some truth in the writing so you can pick up bits of knowledge...trivia if you will.
                              Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                              Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X