Which childhood songs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which childhood songs?

I was thinking about songs that made me remember my childhood. For me it would be Yakety Yak, don't talk back; Little Blue Man and Purple People Eater. I was thinking of making a memory quilt for my sister using songs. What would you put in yours?
    sigpic

Re: Which childhood songs?

Purple people eater for sure! probably the first one I really remember. I was the youngest but I can remember watching American Bandstand with my brother and sister. Wish I could think of more songs from those days
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

I'm Henry the Eighth by Herman's Hermits. Used to sing it going down Hwy 1 in San Diego sitting in the back of a pick-up singing at the top of our lungs. Couldn't ride that way now!
      sigpic

Comment

If your talking real young it would be 'She'll Be Coming 'Round the Mountain'.
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

Well, I'm thinking about "Scotch and Soda" by S and G. I still absolutely love that song! Get all melancholy. Also love "The Wonderful World of the Young" by Andy Williams. I was 17 as I recall, and loved that song so much I wrote all the words down and still have them in my wallet.....I think I'm telling my age.
          A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

Mares eat Oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy......My grandmother used to play it on the piano when I was little, and I still remember all the words.

Comment

"The Streak", "Stayin' Alive", "Play That Funky Music", "I Will Survive", "My Sharona" come to mind right away...THAT would be one funky quilt, huh?!
              Barbara
              http://www.etsy.com/shop/CraftySweetPeas

Comment

Originally posted by shirleyknot View Post
                Mares eat Oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy......My grandmother used to play it on the piano when I was little, and I still remember all the words.
                My mom used to sing that to me and I forgot about it! That's a good memory.
                🌺 Lorie

Comment

My dad bought me a 45 of "those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer, the days of soda and pretzels and beer" when I was about 5. I played it non-stop on my new record player. It was a little red box with a white lid, I think. Drove my mom crazy.
                  Cindy

Comment

This is odd, but I always remember learning to sing
                    "Go Tell Aunt Rhody" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4vxDJKjoBI

But if I were to use a song in a quilt (and I will do this) it would be "I Hope You Dance"
                    for my DD - I have a special quilt in mind for her.......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV-Z1YwaOiw
                    ~Kathy~

Comment

The songs that go through my head when I think of my childhood are
                      Sound of Silence
                      I Got You Babe
                      I Wanna Hold Your Hand
                      ABC 123
                      Joy to the World
                      If I Had a Hammer
                      most any Johnny Cash song (Ring of Fire, Walk the Line, A Boy Named Sue),
                      King of the Road,
                      Yellow Rose of Texas,
                      a bunch of cowboy songs (Get Along Little Dogies, Home on the Range, San Antonio Rose, Tumbling Tumbleweeds)
                      and any Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass songs (The Lonely Bull, Love Potion #9, A Taste of Honey, Spanish Flea) because my dad LOVED them and he played their records all the time when we lived in Turkey

Comment

Originally posted by shirleyknot View Post
                        What?? Are you kidding? All these years I thought the words were Mairzy dotes and dozey dotes--which I always thought were nonsense words but wouldn't be the first song to have words that didn't make sense!

Comment

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
                          What?? Are you kidding? All these years I thought the words were Mairzy dotes and dozey dotes--which I always thought were nonsense words but wouldn't be the first song to have words that didn't make sense!
                          I am with you jjkaiser , I thought the same thing.
                          This isn't really related but my gd thought Santa was going to bring her "a cold" if she was bad not "coal".

Comment

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
                            If you listen to the whole song, it tells you......

Comment

Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini was the first one that popped into my head...then others just rolled in....Leader of the Pack, They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ahab the Arab, Wooly Bully, Town Without Pity, Sounds of Silence....make them stop....brain overload and ear worms for the next week!
                              Peggiep
                              "I don't need to get organized, I just need a bigger sewing room." :)

Comment

Working...
                              X