A handyman and a beauty queen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A handyman and a beauty queen

Let me start by saying, I know it is 2016 and long gone are the "traditional gender roles" where girls are just nice to look at and guys do stuff with tools. Since I'm a (relatively) young guy who participates on a quilting forum I hope I get a pass as obviously I think people should participate in whatever activities make them happy without regard for gender.

With that disclaimer out of the way- over the weekend I built my son a child-sized workbench so he can play with tools like daddy does. I remembered that I had inherited a small bench vice from my grandfather which I never had use for (I own several other vices). I dug through some boxes in the garage and found it and the scale of it is perfect for my son's new workbench. He may not appreciate it yet but I think it is cool that he can play with his great-grandfather's vice. Who wouldn't want a handsome handyman like this to come fix their stuff?!
    FB_IMG_1473765965660.jpg

Here is a better pic of the entire workbench. It is nicer than my actual workbench in the garage.
    IMG_20160911_1439242_rewind.jpg

Now we didn't spend all weekend building stuff. My sweet little Baby Daisy competed in the state fair beauty pageant. She won best smile, best personality, and 1st Alternate Queen (aka: second place). I don't think we will probably do more pageants but it was fun to try it once and all of the little girls genuinely appeared to be having a good time getting dressed up in the puffy gowns.
    FB_IMG_1473765997829.jpg
    Loosely based on a true story.

Re: A handyman and a beauty queen

Ryan,
    They are both so adorable! Thanks for sharing pics of your kiddos

Comment

What a wonderful start to my day!!! They are just too darn cute.
      Robin
      My Pinterest Page of the Quilts I've Made: http://www.pinterest.com/rwmomto3/quilts-ive-made/

Comment

Don't forget, Ryan - come back and show us the pictures of beautiful Daisy chasing Connor away so she can use the work bench!!

Thanks for sharing!
        Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
        it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Your children are adorable! Congrats on the workbench and 1st Alternate award. Great memories!
          Cindy

Comment

So nice to hear from you Ryan! Wow! CanNOT believe how big Wiggles is now! Both of them in fact! They just grow far to quickly! Awesome job on the workbench! He's gonna get a lot of mileage out of that and great grandads vice is a fantastic touch! Kids really do make our life so much more complete.

Comment

What cuties! You did an amazing job on the workbench! Is there anything you can't do???
              Lori

http://sewtimeforme.blogspot.com/

Comment

Does your handyman make out of state house calls? We sure could use his help.

Won't be surprised when Miss Daisy begins using those tools and work bench, I spent many happy hours banging away on my grandfather's work bench.

Comment

Awwwwwwwwwww!!!!!
                  Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Your children are gorgeous! As for gender toys - I'm guessing that at some point your little princess will push Wiggles out of the way at the work bench. I have a ridiculous amount of toys at my house for my three grandchildren. My two granddaughters gravitate to my grandson's toys all the time. They are fascinated by the noises that the Bat Cave makes as well as all the hero figures. Maybe because at their house it's all princesses and doll houses. Either way, they enjoy all the toys.

BTW - you did a great job on the workbench!!
                    Gerri

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Comment

Yip! I think it is really cool he has grandpas work bench and baby Daisy is a sweetie. I think one pageant win in a little girls life is plenty.
                      Originally posted by HandsomeRyan View Post
                      Let me start by saying, I know it is 2016 and long gone are the "traditional gender roles" where girls are just nice to look at and guys do stuff with tools. Since I'm a (relatively) young guy who participates on a quilting forum I hope I get a pass as obviously I think people should participate in whatever activities make them happy without regard for gender.

With that disclaimer out of the way- over the weekend I built my son a child-sized workbench so he can play with tools like daddy does. I remembered that I had inherited a small bench vice from my grandfather which I never had use for (I own several other vices). I dug through some boxes in the garage and found it and the scale of it is perfect for my son's new workbench. He may not appreciate it yet but I think it is cool that he can play with his great-grandfather's vice. Who wouldn't want a handsome handyman like this to come fix their stuff?!
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]135001[/ATTACH]

Here is a better pic of the entire workbench. It is nicer than my actual workbench in the garage.
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]135002[/ATTACH]

Now we didn't spend all weekend building stuff. My sweet little Baby Daisy competed in the state fair beauty pageant. She won best smile, best personality, and 1st Alternate Queen (aka: second place). I don't think we will probably do more pageants but it was fun to try it once and all of the little girls genuinely appeared to be having a good time getting dressed up in the puffy gowns.
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]135003[/ATTACH]
                      Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                      Terry

Comment

Thanks for the update Dad! Your kids are beautiful!
                        I am Sew Blessed!
                        Alina

Comment

Your kiddos are absolutely adorable!!
                          Brenda. :icon_wave:

Comment

Your children are so handsome and beautiful! Thanks for sharing them with all these adopted aunties and Grammies, and an occasional uncle and grandpa too!

Comment

I love your updates and pics. They are growing so fast it seems. Cant wait for that pic of them using the sewing machine.
                              Karen
                              Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Working...
                              X