Random Critter Thoughts.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Random Critter Thoughts.....

One time I had a mouse run up my leg and I stomped two quarts of water out of it . . .
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

When I was in elementary school, we used to go stay at a beach house that belonged to someone my dad worked for. It was really a cabin with one big room, a kitchen, and a bathroom. I don't remember it having electricity and I know the stove was a wood stove that we had to build a fire in so we could cook on it. There were five kids in our family, and another family was spending the night with us, so there were five extra people there. We were all in bed (I seem to remember they were fold down couches and three or four of us slept in each one!) and my mom went in the teeny tiny bathroom to get her nightgown on. She would leave it hanging in there during the day. Soon, we heard blood curdling screams and my dad and the other woman went racing into the bathroom. How they fit in there, I have no clue. Seems a big fat juicy slug had climbed into my moms nightgown during the day and it was now on her and she wasn't liking it!

Then there was Oscar, the wiener dog. We were on one of our Hawaii trips and the house sitter had let the dogs out. Oscar went racing past her and into the house. She went to see what he was up to and found him in his kennel, which was wiener dog size, along with a possum he had caught that was still very much alive, but playing dead. She somehow got Oscar out and then put the kennel in the front yard and left it there an hour before checking it and luckily finding the possum gone.

Now for the third story......We used to have a carport and were getting ready to tear it down to build a garage. MM and our then son in law were cleaning out the storage area when we heard rattling sounds. First thing in my head was a swarm of bees, since we don't have rattle snakes this side of the mountains. After moving a few things around, MM found the biggest possum I have ever seen in my life! I told him to wait till I could grab the camera from the house to take pictures and raced inside to take it. Our youngest daughter was inside with a newborn baby and asked what was going on and I quickly told her. She was screaming 'wait, wait!!! What are you going to do if you find a nest of possum eggs out there?' I started laughing and told her we would have possum omelets for dinner if we did. She ran outside after me concerned about the possibility of possum eggs and was begging her dad not to shoot the possum, which I may have told her he was going to do, but he wasn't. And then she started blabbering about the possum eggs and the omelet I was going to make......we still laugh about the possum omelets to this day.
      pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Oh shoot, thought of another! MM, Tyler and I were up at the lake. The bathroom was about half a block away and I had gone down there to pee. Sometimes little tree frogs would get in the bathroom and I would always look down on the floor behind the toilet as I'd go to sit down to see if I'd find any. Well this day, with my shorts around my knees and my butt nearly on the seat I looked and there was a SNAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How I did not pee all over myself, I have no clue. I raced out of the bathroom, trying to pull up my shorts and run at the same time. Got back to our trailer and shrieked at Tyler to go get the snake out of the bathroom. He was about six or seven and the time and got quite excited and wanted to know what kind of snake it was. WHY DOES IT MATTER!? IT'S A SNAKE!!! A GARTER SNAKE ABOUT EIGHT FEET LONG!!! He couldn't be bothered by just a garter snake and would not go get it out of there.

I then called the two way radio to call MM who was over at the lodge visiting with friends. All he heard was 'asflkjweoi538 dlfjkdljwiuw3 SNAKE!!!! fdkjdkfj u3uisroisvm BATHROOM!!' He calmly answered, with lots of laughter in the background, I'll be right there dear. He drove back and got the snake and drove it to the far side of the lake from us to a place we now refer to as snake valley.
        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

This "critter" story happened many years ago when my boys, now 40 & 42, were young, probably elementary age. They were home from school b/c of snow. While they were eating lunch, I went downstairs and brought the laundry upstairs to fold. I was sitting on a stool in the living room and all of a sudden something fell out of the sleeve of one of their shirts. Thinking it was a little car or something, I looked down at the floor and it was a mouse!!!!! I don't think I ever moved that fast in my life, screaming and high stepping it our of their. The mouse never moved, so my youngest son went in, picked it up (still not moving) and put it outside on top of a snowdrift. About an hour later, I went out to get the mail and guess what? I looked at the snowdrift and the mouse was gone!!!!!!!

Comment

I can't think of a critter story right now, but I enjoyed reading all of yours.

Comment

We had a Mutual of Omaha Wild Kingdom moment here yesterday. I went to sit out in the backyard with our dog for a few minutes. As I sat down in a chair I noticed our dog sniffing the ground very cautiously. So I'm thinking....uh oh......where's the snake?! I got up and walked over to where she was sniffing, looked around and didn't see anything.....but she kept sniffing. Then I looked a little further over. There was a frog laying on it's back and then I saw the garter snake attempting to eat the frog! I told the our dog to back up and the snake turned around and took off around the house and then I lost sight of it. As the snake took off......the frog flipped itself over and hopped away. Weird to see..........."I'll go back to the camp while Jim stays with the snake."

I'm enjoying all of these critter stories. Sophie, the dog thought she was catching supper for her & her family.

Possum omelets! Sounds delightful!

Isn't it great how those stories stay in the family for years and years and years!
              "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
              Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

Boy I'm glad we live in an area where snakes and lizards aren't living in our yards. Do have a bunny who nests under our backyard storage barn. In the Spring we sometimes get a glimpse of the baby bunnys but they are soon on their way out of our yard.

Only critter story I have is when DS#3 was young he had a hamster for quite some time. I had read that they liked the core of a head of lettuce was a treat for them so one day while I was making a salad I saved the core and put it into the hamster's cage. Next morning the core was gone and the hamster was dead - don't know if it died of old age or eating the core did it in. Yikes, I killed it! Never did tell DS#3 about the lettuce core.
                Last edited by MayinJerset; September 8, 2016, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Funny stories! I think I told this one before- Every year for 25 years the gophers
                  would descend on my front and back garden. Vegetables and full grown flowers would
                  literally be pulled underground before my eyes. One day Mr. Gopher poke his head up when I was watering
                  so I decided to flush him out. After about 5 minutes with the hose he came out of his hole.
                  He crossed the street headed for my neighbor's open garage. I yelled to warn them. They pressed the
                  the button to close the door and just as it closed the gopher ran in their now closed garage. It
                  promptly ran under their washing machine. It took them a while to get him out. I thought it was pretty
                  funny. We moved to a new home last year and I haven't seen one gopher, thank God.

Comment

These stories are hysterical, thank you all for sharing. This thread has brought back so many memories.

One more from me:

My older brother was forever bringing home orphaned animals, one day he brought home a large (about 6 foot) boa constrictor snake, named Lady, that a friend no longer could keep. Knowing Mom was not going to approve of this pet, he put the snake in an aquarium and placed the aquarium inside an old stereo console, the kind where you lifted the lid and the turntable/radio where inside. Now this stereo console's radio & turntable had long been removed and we had been storing all the "National Geographic" Magazines inside it for years, those got boxed up and put in the shed.

That snake lived in that console for about 3-4 months with Mom not being any the wiser. Lady would even occassionally escape and it was a major search and rescue mission to find her before Mom would get home from work.

One day, Mom was working on a project for work and needed to do some research about a particular country, and decided that a great source of information would be....you guessed it...."National Geographric"!

Lady found a new home that night!

Comment

Working...
                    X