X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WendyI
    replied
    Re: Deep Thought #2

Well having just gone through a very painful divorce I can tell you that all the therapists I have had, have indicated that studies do show that having people in your life and social interactions definitely promotes healthy mental well being. My ex was my life and now that he is gone I have very few people in it. I am a home body also, and do enjoy my alone time with a good book etc., but I do find that I am very lonely.

All the friends I made after he left were through a divorce support group and all are coupled now except for me. I do make an effort to stay in touch but find that it is not often reciprocated...it's hard not to get down over that. It does take a lot of work to create and maintain that social interaction and if you have a spouse to share in the load (finances, housekeeping chores, vacations) it definitely alleviates that loneliness.

So having had it both ways, I do believe that being social is extremely important to happiness, but certainly dependent upon one's personality as to how much one needs.

Leave a comment:

• just4me
    replied

I am an introvert HSP......I never choose to be with others and avoid it with pleasure.

Leave a comment:

• SuzyQue
    replied

You sound a lot like me.....enjoy just being home, doing your own thing at your own pace. Sounds like you are positive and happy. I think we all have seasons in our lives and a quiet time is not at all bad. I was so tired of running my kids and being busy according to their schedules, so it is nice to have so much me time now. A enjoy the newer, slower pace. Sometimes it is too quiet or I get a little lonely, then I reorganize my days and weeks, and include more time with others. I don't think it wrong to not agree with every little news flash ......they do change their opinions often 180 degrees. Happy means different things to different people.....even at different times of our lives. If you are not breaking any laws or hurting anyone else....and you are happy....go for it and leave the opinions that blow in the wind to do just that.

Leave a comment:

• pcbatiks
    replied

Originally posted by Carolnnc View Post
    So you hear all the time that people who live longer and are happier and more positive have friends, family ties and are involved in the community and/or religious activity. I retired (forced) a little over a year now. I have no desire to do any of those things. I am very happy cleaning, cooking, gardening, listening to music, reading and quilting. I'm a happy and positive person and I do like people. My DH and I enjoy being together when he's not at work.
    I wonder if it's because I was a quiet, introspective kid and am going back to my "normal" self or if I am so burnt out due to working customer service for to many years. Or could it be both?
    Do you take stock in any of the many "findings" that you read in magazines, the newspaper or online?
    Would it bother you to think you wouldn't live a long, happy life if you considered yourself a hermit?
    Carol, you probably enjoy quiet time at home because you are quiet by nature..........and of course dealing with customer service could make you crave quiet time. I wouldn't take much stock in those "findings" because a few years down the road we will be told those "findings" are different. You know......like eggs are bad for you.........now eggs are good for you........coffee was bad for you.......now coffee is good for you......so on and so on.......

You sound like a very happy & positive person and happy with your life too. I say.....good for you.

Leave a comment:

• CraftyJnet
    replied

I am a home body but since I became disabled I find I do miss being around people a little bit. Not enough to actually leave my home of course.

I used to be a voracious reader but I can't read more than a little bit on the computer now. Quilting is keeping me from being bored so I am grateful for that.

Leave a comment:

• shirleyknot
    replied

Actually, no matter how long I might live, I'm quite happy being mostly a hermit. Always have been.

Leave a comment:

• quiltingaway
    replied

Interesting thoughts. I always wonder about that when I read about family and a close support system. I am a home body and am pretty quiet by nature. I enjoy doing things at home. I can happily go home from work Fri night and not go into town again until Mon morning. Having said all that I do think some of those things are very important and have affected my health. We relocated a few years ago to somewhere far away from family and close friends and I can say that loss has affected me even though I am quiet and rather solitary by nature.

Leave a comment:

• Carlie Wolf
    replied

I never took much stock in what I read in magazines or newspapers or online. I take even less stock as the days go on. I'm very happy being alone which is far different than being lonely. I always thought my ideal vacation would be staying home alone with a good book (and of course a good dog) :-)

Leave a comment:

• Carolnnc
    started a topic Deep Thought #2

Deep Thought #2

So you hear all the time that people who live longer and are happier and more positive have friends, family ties and are involved in the community and/or religious activity. I retired (forced) a little over a year now. I have no desire to do any of those things. I am very happy cleaning, cooking, gardening, listening to music, reading and quilting. I'm a happy and positive person and I do like people. My DH and I enjoy being together when he's not at work.
    I wonder if it's because I was a quiet, introspective kid and am going back to my "normal" self or if I am so burnt out due to working customer service for to many years. Or could it be both?
    Do you take stock in any of the many "findings" that you read in magazines, the newspaper or online?
    Would it bother you to think you wouldn't live a long, happy life if you considered yourself a hermit?
Working...
X