• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sherriequilts
    replied
    Re: I guess I really need a lawyer now

Hula moon,
    Here's my advice/encouragement as a woman who is divorced from her first husband. Call every lawyer in the phone book and ask what a consultation would cost .. It may be higher where you live but for around 100 bucks here you should be able to at least meet a lawyer and explain your situation. Before you agree to meet, let them know you can pay for the consult but later appointments will need to be paid on a payment plan. See who calls you back .. Google them for reference and meet with one .. Or two. If your husband has actually got the the mortgage in his name only .. He can get you out of the house with 30 days notice. It may take a few years for you to prove he did this illegally. Start protecting yourself now. Not trying to sound the alarms here but having been thru divorce myself...the more leverage you have .. The better off you'll be. I wish you much luck and good thoughts in this situation... It's the hardest thing you'll ever do .. But you will come out stronger and better than before. I promise... For me it was HARD to admit that person I married had turned into someone so completely different and mean .. I promised to love him forever. But those things just don't always work out and there's no shame in saying I'm a better person than this sham of a marriage. I am happily remarried but that thought never crossed my mind when I finally walked out that door..I was ready to just be happy with me, myself and I. I wish you much happiness... Find a great lawyer that will work with you ..
    Sherrie

Leave a comment:

• Hulamoon
    replied

Thanks for the prayers I married a surfer. As soon as the girls started going to school I became a single mom. I worked in the morning and then had the girls while he worked nights. He asked what I have been doing for twenty years.

I'll be okay, it's just going to take a little longer than I thought.

Leave a comment:

• KarenC
    replied

So sorry you are having to go through this. Divorce is bad enough without this extra drama and headache. Praying for you.

Leave a comment:

• seaturtle
    replied

Lorie, so sorry to hear that you're going through this. I will keep you in my prayers.

Leave a comment:

• MayinJerset
    replied

Sneaky So & So, just like my XBIL. He moved to another state, had his girlfriend pretend to be his wife and she signed off on this pension so he could receive the full benefits instead of sharing them with my sister L, his wife of 35 years. He sued sister L for divorce and thought everything would go smoothly for him. Not so when my brother, 2 other sisters and I heard about what was going on, got her a lawyer and to court sessions. Boy was he mad when we demanded her share of his pension be sent directly from his pension fund to her or we'd expose his fraudulence actions. He kept his big annuity which he used to open a pizza shop, quickly lost the shop due to flooding because he had no flood insurance. Somehow we didn't shed any tears for his loss.
    Last edited by MayinJerset; September 2, 2016, 03:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• LauraP
    replied

Not only would I get a lawyer, check my credit and utilities, etc but I would check the car's titles and anything else that is mobile. Also, run a check on him for bank accounts, etc.
    I know when my husbands last wife took off she left him with 33 maxed out credit cards he didn't know anything about and she had several bank accounts that he didn't find out about until after the divorce. She had been stealing from his business too.
    I would suggest a private investigator or a hit man whichever is cheapest

Leave a comment:

• Carlie Wolf
    replied

What a pain they are. My first ex was court ordered to continue paying the mortgage during the divorce proceedings. He didn't and regardless of the fact I was on the deed the mortgage company started foreclosure procedures and never notified me. Then they would not allow me to pay the late stuff. They're mistake that they never notified me. Didn't care about court orders etc. Awful and I fortunately had a buyer two days before they foreclosed.

I feel your pain and you're in my prayers.

Leave a comment:

• Hulamoon
    replied

Originally posted by bttyboopette View Post
    what on earth happened?! how did you find out that he did that. .....you think you know someone, and then they pull that. stay strong!
    I'll reply to you since most here know that dh moved out to a tent in the back property , maybe five years now. He doesn't want a divorce because he want's to keep this dang place. He did a re fi without me signing anything.

Turns out there was a compliance issue of putting a screen of some sort around the house, (we are four feet up) and he has known for a year and now has 10 days to do it and blaming it ( in part) on me, among other things. He doesn't talk to me so how would I know?

Thanks for the advice. I have been trying to save up money but something always comes up like my water pump on my car and plumbing this week. I can't seem to catch up.

The last thing he said a couple of days ago is that he can move me out.

Leave a comment:

• bttyboopette
    replied

what on earth happened?! how did you find out that he did that. .....you think you know someone, and then they pull that. stay strong!

Leave a comment:

• Carolnnc
    replied

Once you have signed a promissory note with a lender, it's valid until such time as the loan in question is paid in full. There's no way that another party (wife, ex-wife, husband, ex-husband, and on and on) can cause the lender to remove a name.
    My father did that to my mom about 40 years ago. She found out when they divorced and the house was to be sold. He had taken out a second mortgage and so there was no cash from the sale.
    I agree with everyone. I would go talk to a lawyer as soon as possible. I would also run my credit report and check all my bank accounts and utility accounts. If you have a joint will I would get with a lawyer and make a new will asap.

Leave a comment:

• shirleyknot
    replied

Can't do it legally, no, but without a lawyer, he sure can get away with it.

Leave a comment:

• Kateskloset
    replied

As a Realtor, I know that here in Louisiana we are a community property state and he could not do that legally here. Don't know what you're laws are, but he shouldn't be able to do that....get a lawyer!

Leave a comment:

• easyquilts
    replied

Get a good attorney! ASAP...

Leave a comment:

• WendyI
    replied

I totally agree. Honestly, you need to dump that load to begin with. Get a lawyer asap!

Leave a comment:

• MayinJerset
    replied

Do you think he knows what you said you would do if you won a BIG lottery? "I would get a divorce and buy a house close to the beach". Get a lawyer ASAP and pull his electricity hook up.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X