• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SallyO'Sews
    Missouri Star
    • Nov 2012

Need advice from my medical and asthmatic friends

Hi, Everyone,

I need advice for a person I know (adult) who suffers from asthma, and has horrible coughing fits.
    I am aware of inhalers and other medications designed to help people breathe better, but is there also a medication that can either alleviate the coughing, or make it more productive? Seems to afflict this person in the mornings more than later in the day; is that also your experience?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can share!!

Quilty love and hugs,
    ~ Sally \0/
  • Hulamoon
    Missouri Star
    • Jul 2012

Re: Need advice from my medical and asthmatic friends

I had Asthmatic Bronchitis once and it scared me so much. I can't imagine having asthma as a full time condition. The doctor gave me samples when I went in. It was a well known brand as I remember. Your friend hasn't gone in to see a doc?
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

• WendyI
      Missouri Star
      • Nov 2012

Is this person using their puffers regularly? If their asthma is exacerbated by specific conditions then they need to ensure that they are taking it routinely before things get over inflamed. Is this person certain that they are coughing because of just asthma and not due to the addition of a bad cold?

I usually only need my puffer in the mornings and not every day...hot, humid days are bad, as are extremely cold days. Is their asthma allergy induced by airborne pollen or other irritants (pet hair, dust etc.)? If so, it is equally important to be certain that they use their puffers along with anti-histamines. If they have a cold, they may need to be medicated with steroidal medications to help alleviate the inflammation of their bronchial tubes or be prescribed stronger puffers. If they are using their puffers regularly (and correctly per instructions, 1 puff, wait 2 min then 2nd puff and so on), they should not still be coughing. Best advice is to see a doc and find out why the coughing is so persistent.
      Last edited by WendyI; August 25, 2016, 10:29 AM.

Comment

• sleepydiver
        Designer Diva
        • Aug 2013

Either they need a steroid based allergy inhaler - such as Qvar, to help with their sinus drainage (usually what causes coughing fits) or they need different inhaler meds to help control the asthma. They may also benefit from some general allergy meds such as claritin or Singulair. A lot of Asthma sufferers have allergy induced asthma. Allergens exacerbate the asthma due to drainage etc., my mom, my son and my grandaughter all have this and we see it alot here in the hospital. this is generally why alot of people with asthma have more or increased asthma attacks during certain allergy seasons.
        If you don't ask, you don't get. Ghandi

Toni

Comment

• SallyO'Sews
          Missouri Star
          • Nov 2012

Thanks, Wendy and Toni! I really don't know. It's a co-worker who also has bronchitis every year. The coughing is so bad that it sounds like the health department may show up at any minute and quarantine the whole building, but since she insists it is asthma, it's not contagious, just disturbing. I was hoping maybe I could ask her whether her doctor has suggested Medication X to her.

Comment

• Sharyn J
            Missouri Star
            • Oct 2012

Wendy is corrrect about the puffers, steroidal meds and triggers. Your friend should see a Dr. who may prescribe meds to alleviate the swelling of the air passages in addition to the puffers. Constant coughing can be controlled with proper medications. These diseases are nothing to take lightly and need to be kept under control.

This hot humid weather we've had the past several months has played nasty with me and I feel like a hermit, locked up in the house with the A/C running constantly. I only need to stick my head outside to start a reaction due to the high mold and pollen counts. Winter will also be troublesome due to the cold.

I hope you can get your friend to seek medical attention.
            Last edited by Sharyn J; August 25, 2016, 11:01 AM.

Comment

• bubba
              Missouri Star
              • Mar 2013

Many years ago, when we lived in Southern California, I developed asthma. It was brought on when there would be fires or lots of lawn mowing in the warmer months. I did a lot of reading about it and learned that it can also be brought on by your diet, ie - eating wheat crackers, of which I partaked of on a regular basis. Once I removed those from my diet, things go much better, and once we moved back to Washington, it is almost nonexistent.
              pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• CraftyJnet
                Missouri Star
                • Jun 2015

Just a thought - allergy proof covers for her pillow and mattress. These covers prevent you from breathing dust and dust mites all night long. If I try sleeping without them then I wake up stuffy and with a cough and need my inhaler.

Here's a link to what I mean: https://www.amazon.com/Protectors-Hy...w+covers&psc=1

Jeannette

Comment

• Carolnnc
                  The Guild President
                  • Oct 2015

Before retiring I constantly heard my coworkers remark that I sounded like I was coughing up a lung. They had many suggestions but wouldn't listen to my reply. My lungs couldn't take the cleaning products, air freshener that was in the restroom, Lysol wipes, the smell of cigarette smoke on coworkers clothes and the multiple colognes, perfumes, and scented body/hand lotions. I learned very early that people are very touchy when you tell them that their "smell good" product is making you sick as a dog and early morning is when the smells are the strongest. I haven't had one coughing fit or asthma attack since I left work 15 months ago. My heart goes out to her, it is terrifying when you can't breathe and her coughing indicates she's not getting enough air.
                  :icon_happy:

sigpic

Comment

• shirleyknot
                    Banned
                    Missouri Star
                    • Sep 2014

It is also possible it could be a form of pneumonia. I get hit with that every couple of years. See the doc.

Comment

• JCY
                      Missouri Star
                      • Jul 2013

Another "perfumed" product that bothers me (even though I'm not asthmatic) is fabric softener scent on clothing. Some of them are soooo strong! When I worked at the hosp., part of our dress code was to not wear perfume. People still smelled perfumey form fabric softeners. Many of the housekeeping staff were Hispanic. I've noticed they wear lots of perfume & the men use strongly scented cologne. I've become more sensitive to fragrances as I've gotten older. I buy unscented soap products & laundry detergent. My DIL uses a strong fabric softener. When DS comes to visit, after he leaves, I have to wash all the bedding, incl. blankets, matt. pad, & bedspread to wash out the odor. For people who have respiratory issues, esp. Reactive Airway Disease, sometimes it doesn't take much to trigger a reaction. People without health problems just "don't get it!"

Comment

• kensington
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jul 2012

I had child hood asthma, and out grew it .... I was coded twice and they revived me. Then when DH was stationed in Florida the humidity and mold triggered it againg. (Often happens for adults who had childhood asthma). I couldn't go out of the house during the day, had to stay in the closed up airconditioned house until the humidity went down after dark.

Recently, my cough came back... nagging cough, the Dr put me on a med/pill that has worked. I still get a git now and then, but not every hour or even every day. I had one yesterday and I remember thinking, it had been a while.

I am taking... Omeprazole 20mg. (Generic for Prilosec) once a day. It's worked. It's used to treat heartburn.. but it works for my asthmatic cough. Ask your Dr. My nurse practitioner said it hasn't been used for cough for very long at all.

Comment

• Iris Girl
                          Missouri Star
                          • Jan 2013

I am also one who can not stand strong perfumey smells. No perfume here, some fabric softners are worse. I work retail and so many customer seem to dump the perfume and cologne on it about gags me. But worst ever is when its so strong you can taste it on them from 2 feet away. all those odors give me an instant headache which sometimes turns into a migraine.
                          sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                          Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                          Sigmund Freud

Comment

• SallyO'Sews
                            Missouri Star
                            • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Carolnnc View Post
                            Before retiring I constantly heard my coworkers remark that I sounded like I was coughing up a lung. They had many suggestions but wouldn't listen to my reply. My lungs couldn't take the cleaning products, air freshener that was in the restroom, Lysol wipes, the smell of cigarette smoke on coworkers clothes and the multiple colognes, perfumes, and scented body/hand lotions. I learned very early that people are very touchy when you tell them that their "smell good" product is making you sick as a dog and early morning is when the smells are the strongest. I haven't had one coughing fit or asthma attack since I left work 15 months ago. My heart goes out to her, it is terrifying when you can't breathe and her coughing indicates she's not getting enough air.
                            We actually have a "No Scent" policy in our office which is strictly enforced, because someone else who used to work here had multiple chemical sensitivity, and would have to go home if there were any odors around whatsoever. They even use unscented hand soap in the bathroom, so I don't think that's the problem with the current co-worker. I just wish she could take something to alleviate her cough.
                            Last edited by SallyO'Sews; August 26, 2016, 11:26 AM.

Comment

• SallyO'Sews
                              Missouri Star
                              • Nov 2012

Originally posted by kensington View Post
                              I am taking... Omeprazole 20mg. (Generic for Prilosec) once a day. It's worked. It's used to treat heartburn.. but it works for my asthmatic cough. Ask your Dr. My nurse practitioner said it hasn't been used for cough for very long at all.
                              Thanks so much! Maybe I'll share this with her.

Comment

Working...
                              X