Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duluth, Minnesota

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Re: Duluth, Minnesota

    I know your decision, whatever it is, will not be made hastily. I wish you all the best, regardless.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

    Comment


      #17
      Re: Duluth, Minnesota

      I was kinda confused when you said you didn't want to be around pigs and cornfields but Ames was okay...the cornfields start near the city limits...I lived there... You lived up in CR, didn't you? I'm in Iowa City, now...

      Comment


        #18
        Re: Duluth, Minnesota

        Doesn't sound to me like you should consider moving if you're so happy where you are. Joe and I love our girls but we agree that we do not want our lives to revolve around our children. Visiting them now and then will be good enough for us. If they decide they want their lives to revolve around us they can move nearer to us. That would be wonderful but we certainly don't expect that to happen. What happens if you come back and realize you made a mistake? You need to also think seriously about what the chances are that just visiting Iceland now and then will make you happy. We have friends whose parents left their beautiful home in San Francisco to move closer to their kids. Next thing you know the kids moved due to a job relocation after the parents went through all that upheaval of moving to be near them.
        Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

        Comment


          #19
          Re: Duluth, Minnesota

          Sounds to me like more than anything you are feeling lonely. Do you have people in your life that can help alleviate that? I don't have grandkids but I can imagine if I did, I would definitely want to be near them...but at the same time, you have done your job and sounds to me like your kids are doing great out in the big world, and you are overall happy where you are living. Missing family seems to be a way of life these days. I have been away from mine since 1984 and do try and visit but it always seems to be me that is doing the visiting, which gets expensive. How old are your grand babies? Are they old enough to come and spend the summer with you and would their parents allow it? That to me seems the best option since really, you seem happy where you are.

          Moving is such a huge upheaval in life and if you make the wrong choice you can end up even unhappier. The grass is not always greener. I am a huge fan of lists....make a list of pros and cons...which it seems you already have. Now make a list of the ways you can combat missing your family and how to alleviate that issue.

          As a Canadian the only other advice I can offer is DEFINITELY wait until the election is over!

          Comment


            #20
            Re: Duluth, Minnesota

            Strange huh? No pigs or cornfields but I still like Ames. That would be the exception for sure.
            Originally posted by kimsophia View Post
            I was kinda confused when you said you didn't want to be around pigs and cornfields but Ames was okay...the cornfields start near the city limits...I lived there... You lived up in CR, didn't you? I'm in Iowa City, now...

            Comment


              #21
              Re: Duluth, Minnesota

              Very valid points. My oldest DD isn't sure where she wants to be yet. Maybe Colorado or Oregon. Middle DD is happy where they are at and my youngest would like to come over here.

              Originally posted by rebeccas-sewing View Post
              Doesn't sound to me like you should consider moving if you're so happy where you are. Joe and I love our girls but we agree that we do not want our lives to revolve around our children. Visiting them now and then will be good enough for us. If they decide they want their lives to revolve around us they can move nearer to us. That would be wonderful but we certainly don't expect that to happen. What happens if you come back and realize you made a mistake? You need to also think seriously about what the chances are that just visiting Iceland now and then will make you happy. We have friends whose parents left their beautiful home in San Francisco to move closer to their kids. Next thing you know the kids moved due to a job relocation after the parents went through all that upheaval of moving to be near them.

              Comment


                #22
                Re: Duluth, Minnesota

                my DGK's are all under 7. My kids are doing great. It is just that I am so incredibly homesick for them. I want to spend time with them more regularly.

                We have 6 DGK's here plus two that just moved to Denmark. The ones here, there are 3 that we never see because of family drama a few years ago and one other is with her dad every other weekend. The other two, the parents are so strict about everything that we can never spend more than a couple hours with them.

                Originally posted by WendyI View Post
                Sounds to me like more than anything you are feeling lonely. Do you have people in your life that can help alleviate that? I don't have grandkids but I can imagine if I did, I would definitely want to be near them...but at the same time, you have done your job and sounds to me like your kids are doing great out in the big world, and you are overall happy where you are living. Missing family seems to be a way of life these days. I have been away from mine since 1984 and do try and visit but it always seems to be me that is doing the visiting, which gets expensive. How old are your grand babies? Are they old enough to come and spend the summer with you and would their parents allow it? That to me seems the best option since really, you seem happy where you are.

                Moving is such a huge upheaval in life and if you make the wrong choice you can end up even unhappier. The grass is not always greener. I am a huge fan of lists....make a list of pros and cons...which it seems you already have. Now make a list of the ways you can combat missing your family and how to alleviate that issue.

                As a Canadian the only other advice I can offer is DEFINITELY wait until the election is over!

                Comment


                  #23
                  Re: Duluth, Minnesota

                  Originally posted by mommadeb View Post
                  my DGK's are all under 7. My kids are doing great. It is just that I am so incredibly homesick for them. I want to spend time with them more regularly.

                  We have 6 DGK's here plus two that just moved to Denmark. The ones here, there are 3 that we never see because of family drama a few years ago and one other is with her dad every other weekend. The other two, the parents are so strict about everything that we can never spend more than a couple hours with them.
                  That is so unfortunate...family drama is not fun. I know that feeling of missing loved ones for sure. It is not so easy to "replace" them in your heart for sure. I have had to work so hard to learn how to live without them and was doing great until my husband left. Now I struggle again with being alone and missing family while not being able to move because of my son. It really is a brutal situation to be in. Good luck with making your decision. (((HUGS)))

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X