Grandson Jack Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grandson Jack Update

Jack has been diagnosed with stage 3 Hodgkin lymphoma. Yesterday the doctor put a port in his chest for chemo, did a bone scan on his hip and did a biopsy on one of the spots in his chest. Because it was in his chest wall, they had to deflate one of his lungs to get to the spot. Of course he was sedated for all this. The spleen biopsy was inconclusive so they had to go for one in his chest.
    My son said yesterday was a day of more downs than ups. It was for all of us as we realize just what all this means and will entail.
    A question for any of you who know about chemo treatments: We're planning to fly there in 3 weeks. Would we be endangering Jack by coming and bringing all the germs we're likely to pick up from flying? I guess this is a question for the oncologist, but I just wanted your opinions.

Ann

Re: Grandson Jack Update

Prayers for a day with more UPS than downs.

Comment

I can't answer your question but I will say prayers for you all.
      Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I can't answer your question, but will definitely keep the family and doctors in my prayers.

Comment

Chemo is one of those thi
          All quilts cat tested and approved.
          sigpic

Comment

Sometimes the positive vibes from having your family close over rides the germ factor. A good shower and fresh clothing will clean the "flying germs" off.

Comment

Praying for Jack. I agree about having a shower and fresh clothes before you see him. Depending upon what the doctor thinks some prefer that visitors put on the full protective gear (the yellow gowns) to protect the child. I think it would do him a world of good to be able to have his grandparents visit. Love can be some of the best medicine.

Comment

Continued prayers for Jack and family.
                Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Comment

I agree with others about the germs...shower and clean up, but also make sure no one is coming down with a cold. When my daughter in law was doing chemo, they had 3 little kids bringing germs home from school. we bought lots of hand sanitizer and made everyone use it often.
                  Sending prayers for your Grandson and for the rest of your family too.

Comment

The kindness of the people on this forum is overwhelming. Thank you so much.
                    Ann

Comment

I don't know but I will have continued prayers.
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
                      http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
                      http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

I am a non-Hodgkins lymphoma (DLBC) survivor. My chemo was a fairly severe variety of chemo. At the time, only my 23 year old son was living at home. He was working with homeless children at the time so was exposed to all sorts of bugs. This was also during the time of the 'swine' flu epidemic.

I am a fairly laid-back housekeeper - the place was thoroughly cleaned every week, but our untidy crafty pursuits always made us look somewhat disorganised. We were very free with the hand sanitiser. John got the flu halfway through but I didn't. The infections I did get which required hospitalisation were -
                        (1) a mildly infected toenail which would normally been OK with treatment at home - it went beserk
                        (2) a mildly infected eyelid - ditto
                        Both required a week in hospital. The chemo completely knocks out your neutrifils.

It might be worth timing your visit for the first week after chemo. I felt as though I could conquer the world during the first week after, and as the chemo continued, more like death warmed up during the second and third weeks of each treatment.

My thoughts are with all of you.

Comment

I know what you are going thru, sadly. I wish none of us had to deal with cancer because it really sucks. We see the oncologist for the first time this coming Friday and I'm sure MM will be scheduled for a port himself ASAP to get chemo started. I know they can do it thru the veins, but it is so hard on them, so we are opting for a port. His mom had one and she was a happy camper.
                          pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Ann,
                            Still praying for Jack here

Comment

If you want "extra germ removal from skin" you can use a special soap that is used prior to surgery. Ask your pharmacist about this. I am sorry I can not recall the name (husband had to use it prior to his knee replacement

Comment

Working...
                              X