tree down, that is gonna cost me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tree down, that is gonna cost me

This tree did not fair well in the drought of 2011 and then in subsequent winters had lots of tree top damage as well as the electric company trimming out its top. I was saving the money to have it taken down this fall. It fell before fall.
    I got an estimate for it 2 years ago and it was gonna cost $1200. It missed the power lines three fences and a shed. Clipped one clothesline. And it like the good parts of the tree bent as it was falling as limbs do bend when they have sap in them. It actually broke its fall and the large limb hit the neighbors tree but broke off before it hit the fence below. Someone was watching out for us. I would like to think it was my grandfather since he laid many trees down safely over the years for their firewood. I could not upload all the pics here as they are too big. I wonder how much it will cost me as the firewood in it is worthless because it is so dead and dried out. This tree if three of us would hold tried to hold hands around it, it wouldn't be enough people. The center had hollowed out enough that I could have fit in it. I suspect the carpenter ants at all the dead wood on the weak side and it fell towards the life side. Sad as I am no tree hugger but I will miss it. The backyard skyline looks so weird now.
    DSC00884.jpgDSC00887.jpg
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Re: tree down, that is gonna cost me

At least there is no major damage to surrounding area.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Any chance it is covered by your house insurance policy? Even with the deductible it may cut the cost in half.
      Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Been there done that! I'm selling a home that my daughter rented from me and in April, while waiting for a contract on it to close, the neighbor's tree was struck by lightning and a huge limb fell on my cedar privacy fence. The neighbor paid for clearing the tree, but my homeowners had to pay for the fence repair at $992. You guessed it, my deductible is $1000. And then my buyer backed out. Very painful to the pocketbook. Still waiting to close on the house and it is still costing me plenty!

Comment

I live in a forest and trees fall all the time. I am amazed what happens when one falls in an urban setting. My daughter had a tree fall into the lake she fronts. The tree people charged $700 to take it out. We are cutting trees on purpose to keep the yard from being encroached upon because we want to protect our home. Then we cut them up and burn them in two years to keep te house warm. I remember when I took my brokers exam in real estate and the first question was " what is an improvement to property" the selection of answers were: a. a sidewalk, b. a sewer, c. a tree, d. curb and gutter. Well, I had plenty of trees so that wasn't really a thing you would call an improvement , but I knew that the people who were writing the test didn't have trees on there lots so it would be the answer. Al things are relative.
          But my sympathy to you and I hope it all gets cleaned up easily.
          Another funny story is when a big red oak fell during a storm. Laying on its side it was 6 feet tall. Our second daughter was planning a wedding on our property and planned to walk down a path (that she wanted me to carpet with pale blue fabric) that would lead to a large meadow that opened up thru the rhododendrons into a field of poppys. It was going to be spectacular in her mind. About 3 weeks before the wedding, the tree fell. My husband came into the house and said, "red oak fell...wedding is off"
          The next day, DD called and told us how she just didn't feel like she should marry this young man...it didn't feel right and she was going to cancel the wedding. Amazing how nature has a way of knowing what is good.
          So, maybe your tree fell for a reason and you just don't know it yet.
          Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
          Terry

Comment

Do you know what type of tree it Is? I would try contacting a local wood turners group. They would love that type of wood. We used to keep the chainsaw in the back of the truck for when DHL would come across fallen trees. We also would get info on Craigslist like free oak bring saw. They may not take all of it but every bit gone would help. Just a suggestion.
            Ann

Comment

I was going to suggest you put an add on Craigs list or small local paper advertising free fire wood you might get a taker.
              :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

Glad no one was injured!!!
                Happy Quilting!

Comment

We have 2 oaks that fell last year. The wood is seasoned now. I have a fellow that is going to cut it up and remove for the fire wood. Cost to me zero.
                  Keep the Faith

dizzyLiz

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=1196342

Comment

if it really is no good for firewood you might check the landscape places and see if they would take it to chip for mulch.
                    sigpic

Comment

Oh so sad to hear this. We have had our share of tree issues the last few years, including a towering gigantic weeping willow that was dying so we had to take it down, afraid it would eventually crash into the neighbor's roof. I think it was $1800 to take down, just leaving all the wood for us. When our tree trimmer came over six months later he said taking down the willow changed the wind pattern and now the big maple, centerpiece of our back yard, is starting lean from the wind that the willow used to break. So now we are in "watch" mode hoping the maple doesn't lean too much more bc of course it is leainng in the direction of our house. So I feel for you! Maybe someone would take the wood if they think they can use it in their outdoor fire pit.
                      Last edited by jjkaiser; August 8, 2016, 02:49 PM. Reason: Word

Comment

My sympathies! We have lost several trees in recent years. This spring we had a sheer wind that knocked three trees down in a row. Where we live you can take storm debis to the dump. They have an area for trees. They have a wood chipper, then sale the wood chips to the public in the spring. This last storm we just took 3 weeks to clean in up. It is alot of work but my husband would cut the tree into managable chunks then we'd load up a trailer and take it to the dump for chipping. In the past we have put up notices for free firewood and have had good luck with people cleaning it up for the wood. My husband usually gives them something for all the work involved. If you need wood chips for landscaping there are service that will bring a chipper out to your house. Truthfully I don't want to deal with it too many more years.

Comment

Glad no one was hurt. Could have been a lot worse.
                          Our neighbors tree is towering over our yard, dropping everything in our
                          pool/yard. I asked if they would split the cost of trimming it and they said no.
                          Going to cost me at least $1,000 to trim it.

Comment

I have found an in-expenisive solution to this problem. We borrowed a chainsaw and cut up the pieces that we could. Because it is football season with homecoming for many schools who have bonfires, I thought I could donate this to a school. I made one phone call and a group of seniors will be picking up what they can take with 3 pick up trucks in two weeks yay! What they cannot take I will call another school who has their homecoming a month later and ask if they want the rest. My brain hurts after this huge thought. So it has all worked out for a little bit of gas money to run the chainsaw.
                            Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

I have a funny (or maybe more of an eye opening) story about a crashed tree from the 80's that happened to me.

It was early morning and windy. I was sitting at my downstairs living room chair at the front window. A huge locust tree stood not 10 feet from the window. As I was staring out the window I was very deep in thought, almost mesmerized and I was having what I call my bitchfest to God. I was complaining that it was like he was no longer watching over me and I felt that I was all alone amid all the very difficult problems that were occurring. It was a really heart wrenching rant. I sat back in the chair for a second and then sat forward again, looked out the windows and the tree had fallen in that second. It should have hit me and gone through the window. It didn't. It split right in half with one side falling to one side of the house and the other falling to the other side. I immediately thought. "OH" "OH" "Nevermind. " I've never questioned, regardless of the emotional pain what occurs anymore and I know I don't go through them alone. (When I had gone outside to look I noticed that not one portion of the branches had hit the house although some were only about three inches away.) Talk about a lightening bolt type of answer and he sure didn't wait long to let me know he's never far away :-)
                              https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
                              Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X