Visiting Shipshewana with dietary restrictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visiting Shipshewana with dietary restrictions

Next month my husband and I are going to Shipshewana for a few days with my BFF and her husband. I'm really looking forward to it, but I have an auto-immune disease and some other health issues that require my diet to be pretty restricted.

I can't eat sugar, gluten, dairy or yeast, plus I have to watch my carbs, which means that most of those wonderful Amish goodies are off limits for me. I've called our hotel and they have a free hot continental breakfast, so I made sure that I can get my usual bacon and eggs or sausage for breakfast. Plus, all of the rooms have a microwave and mini-fridge, so I can take some things to eat in the room.

But I certainly want to be able to eat in some of the restaurants too. So, I'd like recommendations of restaurants where I could get some meals that I can eat. I can do roast chicken or other meats with no breading or gravy, vegetables with butter, salads without croutons (though I can pick those off), and not a lot else. No biscuits, mashed potatoes and gravy, or breaded, fried chicken. And no desserts!

Do any of them serve family style? Or are any of them willing to make substitutions?

I'm looking forward to going to Yoder's store to check out the fabric, and my BFF and I are looking forward to the flea market (the hotel's right across the street ), but I'd welcome recommendations for other places to see there too.

HELP please, and thank you very much!
    Sheryl

Re: Visiting Shipshewana with dietary restrictions

I know absolutely nothing about the area but truly wish you a wonderful time.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid...#q=shipshewana restaurant&tbs=lf_msr:-1,lf_od:-1,lf_oh:-1,lf:1,lf_ui:9&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=41676171,-85579498,175&tbm=lcl&rldimm=1276422097938970947
      Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I also have some restrictions. The Blue Gate Restaurant has a buffet that offers fresh and tasty options. Personally a buffet is best for me because I can pick and choose. I don't know their phone number off-hand but you can search and contact them beforehand to ask what they use in their food prep. At the time I went there was seating in one area if you had the buffet and in a different location if you were ordering off the menu. If you are going with a group you may be spit up depending on what you want. It's a nice area.

I found several quilt shops on my route by visiting the Row by Row Experience website. Have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Judy, USMC View Post
          I also have some restrictions. The Blue Gate Restaurant has a buffet that offers fresh and tasty options. Personally a buffet is best for me because I can pick and choose. I don't know their phone number off-hand but you can search and contact them beforehand to ask what they use in their food prep. At the time I went there was seating in one area if you had the buffet and in a different location if you were ordering off the menu. If you are going with a group you may be spit up depending on what you want. It's a nice area.

I found several quilt shops on my route by visiting the Row by Row Experience website. Have fun!
          I looked that up (beautiful place) and they have a menu online including the buffet.
          http://www.riegsecker.com/shipshewan...aterestaurant/

Have Fun on your trip!
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

When Monique posted the link to the Google search, I slapped my forehead, wondering why I hadn't thought of doing that. So I did, and also found the Blue Gate Restaurant. I looked at the menu and told my husband that it looked like a good bet.

Judy, it's good to know that you've been there and have similar needs and first hand experience; I guess that's information I couldn't get from a search engine!
            Sheryl

Comment

Sheryl - I'm happy to recommend that place. The first time I did the buffet; the second time I ordered off the menu. I have the habit of writing on an index card what I can not have. A lot of times the wait staff doesn't know what I should order. Our waitress took the card and showed it to the chef and came back with several recommendations. They can modify their cooking to fit your needs.

I'm sure you will enjoy it whatever meal you decide to get.

Comment

The index card is a good idea!
                Sheryl

Comment

Love the index card idea. Have fun & safe traveling

Comment

Shipshe is in my neck of the woods. Another restaurant to try is Das Essenhaus (http://www.essenhaus.com/). Similar foods menu and buffet as the Blue Gate. It is located a few miles away in Middlebury, IN. There is a quilt shop on Essenhaus premises, as well as Pumpkinvine Quilt Shop not even a mile away from Das Essenhaus. Quilt shops in Shipshe include Lolly's Fabrics (including Little Bit of Lolly's, and Cuddle Corner) in the Mercantile, Yoder's Department Store, Spector's Hardware. Cotton Corner in Shipshe. There are also quilt shops in nearby Emma and Topeka and Rome City. One of my most favorite haunts is Calico Point in a tiny, tiny burg of Southwest--they have a Goshen, IN address. It is ridiculous that I live so close, but have yet to make it to the Shipshewana Quilt festival in June every year, but I will sometime soon! Next year's dates are June 21-24 (http://shipshewanaquiltfest.com/) Another place to visit in Northern Indiana is the Quilter's Hall of Fame in Marion, IN (http://www.quilterhalloffame.com/) Regarding Shipshe. If hubby's are going with...there is a candy store on the 3rd floor of the mercantile, several bakeries and treat shops in downtown Shipshe to keep the guys quiet (and munching) while you shop! The Row by Row website is a great source for addresses of many of the nearby shops. Oh and on the way to Middlebury on US 20 to Middlebury, don't pass the Rise n Roll Bakery without stopping. This is the original home to what we refer to as Amish Crack. Just pop one of those donut holes they have for samples in your mouth and you will know why...
                    Last edited by wackyaunt3; August 10, 2016, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the restaurant and quilt shop recommendations!
                      Sheryl

Comment

Working...
                      X