And it's a rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And it's a rant

When did we become a nation of thieves? My DH works at a large chain grocery store. In an effort to keep employees safe they are not allowed to approach anyone who is stealing. They can only get the license number of the car, description of the thief and call the police. Why they call the police I don't know because it never gets to court. People know they can get away with theft so they put laundry detergent around the outside edge of the shopping cart and fill the middle with steaks and ribs. They then walk right out the door. This happens daily!!! Employees also watch all day as people grab a bag of grapes, cherries or other produce and eat as they shop. I went in to have dinner with DH I watched a woman and her two adult daughters eating handfuls of grapes but never put a bag to purchase in the cart. When I went thru the checkout lane to buy a magazine a gentleman who looked to be in his 70's or 80's was behind me. He had only a bag of grapes and a bag of cherries in the cart and he'd eaten about 1/2 the bag of grapes. As I was paying he plucked the bag of grapes out of the cart and set them on top of the isle counter where the candy was. I looked him straight in the face and said, "that is wrong. You've eaten half those grapes and you aren't going to at least pay for the other half?" I turned to pay and pick up my bags. He poked my arm and showed me he'd put the bag back in his cart. I wondered if he wanted me to give him a medal. I was told by the cashier that it's okay to taste the fruit but I thought a taste would be one grape or cherry. Prices go up and up to cover theft and I wonder how people can afford to feed their kids. Does this bother anyone besides me?
    :icon_happy:

sigpic

Re: And it's a rant

Wow, that is terrible. It's this sense of entitlement and getting away with it that is so prevalent nowadays. What a shame.

I guess I'm too focused on finding my things and getting what I need to notice others. I don't even notice when friends are shopping in the same aisle!

Comment

Hhhmm, I wonder if the store would be as understanding if I went to the produce section and tasted a few grapes, strawberries and cherries, and then took a bite out of an apple, a pear, a banana, and a peach and put the undesirable half eaten fruit back on the display?

"But I just wanted to taste before I bought the ingredients for an entire fruit salad!"

Yes, it bothers me too.

Comment

Sadly, it is just not your dh's store that has that policy. More and more places are trying to watch out for their employees & avoid lawsuits so they just let the thieves get away. And the sad part is the thieves know that they can do it and so they do. Even sadder is the fact that moral compass is so low in this country that some people think they can do whatever they want. Several years ago, they had a TV show on which focused on law enforcement catching car thieves. Many of the people claimed the car was just sitting there with the keys in it and some tried to claim it was entrapment. The whole if I want it, I will just take it mentality.

Comment

Been going on for years. I worked in a grocery thru high school, nearly 50 yrs ago. Happened then too.
          Stores don't want their employees to confront shoplifters due to safety concerns. i know one man injured trying to catch a shoplifter. Company(shamefully in my opinion) tried to get out of paying his medical bills because he violated company policy.
          “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Originally posted by bakermom View Post
            Been going on for years. I worked in a grocery thru high school, nearly 50 yrs ago. Happened then too.
            Stores don't want their employees to confront shoplifters due to safety concerns. i know one man injured trying to catch a shoplifter. Company(shamefully in my opinion) tried to get out of paying his medical bills because he violated company policy.
            I worked in retail in my teens and early 20s. We are talking the 1960s here. We were trained not to confront shoplifters but to get their description and car license if possible. My first boss in a small business would ban people from the store if they had been seen shoplifting. That worked for a small business in a small town. Later in my job at a mall the same employee rules applied. They had plainclothes security working as "shoppers" to watch for shoplifters and handle the unpleasant stuff. That still goes on today.

So I don't believe that it is just people today who steal from stores or that there are lower moral standards across the board. People have always stolen things from merchants and always will. There's a reason why "Thou shalt not steal" is one of the 10 Commandments.

Comment

My close by retail stores are mostly put out of business because of this. I just don't get that kind of mentality.

Comment

And another thing. Somewhere along the way store owners decided it was cheaper to let people steal than to hire and pay clerks and keep items behind counters. Otherwise we would have clerks assisting us like it used to be.

Comment

We used to have a JoAnn's that was a 5 minute drive from my house (hmmm... maybe it's not such a bad thing that it is not so close...). Anyway, I found out that they had to close because of pilfering

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
                    My close by retail stores are mostly put out of business because of this. I just don't get that kind of mentality.
                    I don't get it either Jean...our brains don't work that way, so it is hard to understand why anyone would do that. I have had hypoglycemic attacks in the store before, grabbed something to wolf down so I didn't pass out...and took the packaging to the counter to pay for it. I would have a hard time NOT confronting someone I saw do this. This entitlement mentality is getting VERY tiresome.
                    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                    sigpic

Comment

I get the stink eye from MM if I take a second blueberry.....
                      pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I see this just about every time I go into the produce section. Cherries, grapes, strawberries. I ask one of the workers last week how often this happens. She said everyday.

Comment

I never see people doing that on that scale. I'm guilty of testing a grape. I also don't buy a whole thing of celery. I take the wire off and take what I need. It's sold by the lb not by the bunch. I told these perplexed tourists that one time and they were like really? lol
                          🌺 Lorie

Comment

You wouldn't believe what all happens in my grocery store, or maybe you would. They get thirsty and help themselves and puts the can/bottle back on the shelf. And always check your boxes, make sure they haven't been opened. Some are opened and one snack taken out and box closed back up. The elderly ladies were having their purses stolen. The store has surveillance camera but doesn't seem to do any good. Now the store manager has wised up and there is an undercover agent with cart full walking throughout the entire store all day long. I'm in that store every other day so I have caught on to this guy. Thieves get away with soooo much, everywhere it is.
                            sigpicLinda :icon_wave:

Comment

It's not just in the retail world. People think everything belongs to them and or they can take advantage. No one has a real line drawn in the sand of right and wrong.

My husband works in the corporate world. They are often taken to dinner or lunch by sales people who want them to buy equipment for projects. It's known that the meals etc are picked up on a corporate account, and there is this one guy... who ALWAYS gets the biggest, most expensive dinner, orders two or three appetizers, drinks and a couple of desserts, he eats one and takes one home for his wife.

It makes us ill. It's rude. The salesperson is not taking your wife to lunch or dinner... they can't. It's not allowed. But, he does it anyway. Who the heck needs a 36oz Prime Rib for lunch? He orders it. Same same... we all went to the Royals game... the hubs bought my ticket so I could go... and she bought their dinner... hubs bought mine. The guy ordered TWO pizza's and the Lobster Mac n Cheese for his self. Got the 8 buck drink cup and just left it sitting.

To me... He's immoral. A scammer. Rude. The day will come when the expense account will be gone and everyone will lost because of his abuse. So be it!

Comment

Working...
                              X