Doll Clothes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doll Clothes

Well, I just found out one of my grand daughters got an American Girl doll for Christmas! How could I not have been told that for all this time?
    Grand daughter mentioned that her doll needed some clothes, so guess who gets asked?
    I nearly lost my mind making Barbie clothes a few years ago, but I think the size of the AG doll will be much less taxing. Anyway, I downloaded a few patterns yesterday and today, and bought one from Hobby Lobby. At least I have plenty of scraps!
    If anyone has any suggestions, I'm open!

Re: Doll Clothes

My daughter always wanted a matching outfit to her AG doll...

Jeannette

Comment

At the price of the American Girl doll clothing, it makes sense to sew some things. Simplicity Pattern Co. makes a bunch of patterns for those dolls. I think sewing for an 18" doll would be much easier than Barbie! My mom made clothing for my sister and I when we were young. I found some of those items and still can't imagine the patience she had.

I made a lot of doll clothes for hand made bunnies but never bothered for my daughter's doll. She only had one doll, named "Green." Poor doll was carried around by her hair and always naked! She didn't like dolls, just wanted to play with trucks with her brothers! LOL

Comment

I like the idea of matching outfits. Halloween would be a fun one.
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

By far my favorite patterns for girls and dolls are Candy Castle. The peppermint swirl is awesome, but the bubblegum is the easiest,

Candycastlepatterns.com
          Last edited by RockinLou; August 3, 2016, 08:32 PM.

Comment

A great website for doll clothes patterns is Pixie Faire. They offer patterns for many different dolls and for every sewing level from a wide variety of designers. They also have Freebie Friday when they offer a free pattern every week. If you haven't found them yet they're at www.pixiefaire.com.

I hadn't heard of Candy Castle so I checked it out. Love that peppermint swirl dress! Might have to give that one a try.

Comment

Wish I still had the American Girl patterns I bought about 25 years ago for my DGDs AG dolls but I lent them to someone who never returned them. DGDs loved their AG dolls, clothes and books, even visited the AG shop in NY many times. They said when they had children they would bring them to AG shop but so far 3 DGD's have had children and they are all boys. I know AG now has many different dolls and wonder if they a AG boy doll now?

Comment

Several lqs carry specialty children's patterns that have matching doll/girl dress patterns, I think olive ann patterns is one I have used.
                Beth

Comment

My GD all have an AMER. Girl doll or more. I hadn't thought of making clothes for them. For some reason I had the impression that these dolls were sat on a shelf and looked at. At more than $100 a pop, they are hard for me to get my mind wrapped around. Then one daughter told me about the AG store and my jaw dropped at the activities and prices. Imagine taking your doll to get her hair done! I guess I'm really OLD
                  Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                  Terry

Comment

Have to say my DGDs did play with their AG dolls which were very well made. If by chance something happened to one of the dolls they sent it back and it was repaired or replace at no cost. It came back in a hospital gown and had an ID tag on it's wrist. That was quite a few years ago before the company was sold and became Big Business with so many dolls and accessories. The DGDs dreamed of the special beds but used the box the dolls came in for their beds. I didn't quilt back then but think I did make little doll blankets. They did like the adventure of going to the city and visiting the AG store mainly to look around and maybe buy a little something.

It all started when I came across a book about Mollie, a little girl during WW2 and thought my first granddaughter would like it as her other grandmother and I were that age during the war never knowing that there was a Mollie doll, Soon the other DGDs got interested in the dolls and their stories and the bits of history that came with them. Haven't looked at the AG website in years - can imagine what they are selling now, cell phones, computers, etc. way too much and expensive for my taste. I agree, paying for hair dos for dolls - no way, the girls did that when they played with their dolls.
                    Last edited by MayinJerset; August 4, 2016, 08:51 AM.

Comment

I know 3 little girls in our church who all have a doll. I was going to
                      make them all an outfit but I found I could buy them each one
                      cheaper on Ebay. They just came in the mail yesterday and were really cute.

Comment

I saw a tutorial today on making sandals for AG dolls, too. So, No excuses for naked feet!

Comment

Originally posted by Snip Snip View Post
                          Well, I just found out one of my grand daughters got an American Girl doll for Christmas! How could I not have been told that for all this time?
                          Grand daughter mentioned that her doll needed some clothes, so guess who gets asked?
                          I nearly lost my mind making Barbie clothes a few years ago, but I think the size of the AG doll will be much less taxing. Anyway, I downloaded a few patterns yesterday and today, and bought one from Hobby Lobby. At least I have plenty of scraps!
                          If anyone has any suggestions, I'm open!
                          I basically learned to sew by making doll clothes for my girls
                          My advice would be to NOT rush through the process, enjoy it. Doll clothes are fun to make, and since they are small, you'll just want to make more

Comment

I found two things that might be cute to make for you GD.

One is a baby basket. I know the dolls are not babies, but this might be useful for carrying the doll and her clothes.
                            a9.jpg

and the other is a free apron patttern.

Comment

Originally posted by Snip Snip View Post
                              I saw a tutorial today on making sandals for AG dolls, too. So, No excuses for naked feet!
                              Can I ask where this tut was? My sister does clothes etc for 18" dolls . Thanks Kathy
                              All quilts cat tested and approved.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X