• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GemmaP73
    replied
    Re: I survived another "vacation" with my family... now I'm exhausted

Hello Rockin Lou,

Are you still in Almaty now? We moved here a few months ago from the UK. Would be nice to be in touch with another expat who sewed.

Leave a comment:

• rebeccas-sewing
    replied

I can relate. I moved from the east coast in 1986. Many years were spent flying to the east coast to visit friends and family. Not fun at all to do all that traveling. We're still doing it but just not as often. In fact, Joe is headed there this week. We'll spend Christmas there as well. So he'll have two trips back east this year.

Leave a comment:

• RockinLou
    replied

Originally posted by Monique View Post
    I am tired just hearing about all the travelling. I agree with the comments here, take a year off, at least. They know where you live, if they REALLY want to visit. Or just stay in your home and never let on you are there. LOL!!
    Tempting!!

Our home in ATL is a tiny townhouse, plus one adult we can handle, plus two will be tight for more than 2 or 3 days.... We will not be traveling to CT or NJ next summer.

The let them come to us theory backfires with my MIL though, as she then guilts DH into paying for her ticket, and makes us both miserable the entire time. This summer she was unforgivably rude to me while DH was in the hospital. I told DH that next summer if he feels obliged to see her, he can take the kids up to her for a visit, I'll have time home alone!!

I've had a challenging summer on a lot of levels, I really just wanted to relax with my family...and that hasn't happened much. All this stress and chaos aside, I am glad that I got to go see my grandmother, and say my goodbyes to her.

Leave a comment:

• bakermom
    replied

you've done your duty. While I can understand not wanting(or being able) to travel overseas, you spend time in Atlanta. No excuse for not traveling to see you there. If you return to the States next year, extend the invitation and let the chips fall where they may. Personally , I wouldn't put myself thru it.

Leave a comment:

• Monique
    replied

I am tired just hearing about all the travelling. I agree with the comments here, take a year off, at least. They know where you live, if they REALLY want to visit. Or just stay in your home and never let on you are there. LOL!!

Leave a comment:

• Iris Girl
    replied

Hoping hubby is doing well. Way too much traveling. My sister in law convinced her and hubbys Mom and step dad to move to Florida. He passed down there and we were not financially able to make the trek or get time off for the funeral..and no one offered us the fare or a place to stay. Same thing happened when his mom passed. The sister in law got the lions share of the big estate and we were not given fare or a place to stay so stayed home. His sister has made one trip up here since which is about 10 years and if we ever see her again it will be too soon. Some family is just not worth it.

Leave a comment:

• Bubby
    replied

What a nightmare of a break for you. I think I'm carsick just reading about it. Your family needs to make a reciprocal effort. I was in a similar position even though our family was much smaller, but it's craziness just the same. I hope you can rest up before you have to leave the country....(((HUGS))). Glad to hear your Hubby is doing well.

Leave a comment:

• RockinLou
    replied

Originally posted by Neller View Post
    BTW, if you don't mind my asking, what do you do in Khaz? My best friend was a nurse practitioner at the American embassy there a few years back. She liked it, except for the cold winters, but her next posting was Iraq and she finally found a place that was TOO hot for her!
    My husband and I teach at an international school in Almaty. The climate is much nicer in Almaty than in the capital, Astana. We definitely get winter though!!

Leave a comment:

• RockinLou
    replied

Originally posted by TMP View Post
    Oh my goodness what a week. Its not easy traveling with kids especially all of that in one week. I hope your husband gets better soon. Was he with you on this trip? How stressful for him if he was. Our families only came to see us when we lived near the beach in Florida and NC. No one ever comes to Alabama.
    I should just visit you in Alabama, that would be easier!!

My husband was not on the trip!! We were supposed to vacation together on a completely different schedule, that was all upended when he was told not to travel this summer.

Leave a comment:

• Ginny B
    replied

Holy Cow! That's a lot of travlin'. You need a vacation from your vacation. Yes, I would rethink all that mileage next year for sure. The trains, planes and roads run both ways.

Leave a comment:

• Neller
    replied

Bless your Heart! That is a lot of travelling! When we lived in Alaska, we would travel to Portland where both sets of parents lived. It was such a hassle! Even though they lived in the same town, my parents didn't socialize with my in-laws, and vice versa. We had to practically divide our time to the minute to see both families equally. One time, after a particularly unpleasant scene with my MIL, who was mad that we went to visit friends instead of them, we decided that enough is enough. We didn't go to Portland for the next five years and instead took the kids to Disney World a couple of times, It was much more relaxing! The roads, the rails, and the airways all go both directions. Do what is best for you!

BTW, if you don't mind my asking, what do you do in Khaz? My best friend was a nurse practitioner at the American embassy there a few years back. She liked it, except for the cold winters, but her next posting was Iraq and she finally found a place that was TOO hot for her!

Leave a comment:

• TMP
    replied

Oh my goodness what a week. Its not easy traveling with kids especially all of that in one week. I hope your husband gets better soon. Was he with you on this trip? How stressful for him if he was. Our families only came to see us when we lived near the beach in Florida and NC. No one ever comes to Alabama.

Leave a comment:

• Snip Snip
    replied

I agree with the other posters. Don't keep doing that to yourself. Maybe the family members have a bit of an attitude since you are the one that left them, you need to be the one to "come back home."
    And you know, some people just don't travel well. I have siblings in Nashville and Eugene OR, and we rarely see each other. I hate to drive, I hate to fly, and I can't walk that far.

Leave a comment:

• KarenC
    replied

Glad DH is doing better.

As for the traveling, do not feel guilty. You will also notice that your children won't want to be in a vehicle, train or other mode of transportation that much either. While I only moved 300 miles away from my family, I still hear the comments occasionally when we're not there. (Yep, even after 34 years) I remember years ago, I finally made the comment that Interstate 10 went from New Orleans to Houston the same way that it goes from Houston to New Orleans. I think they finally understood it then. I would especially here it at Christmas time, but my husband and I decided to spend Christmas with our kids where they could enjoy their gifts from Santa at home.

Now my children are gone. One lives near me in TX (within an hour), the other is in OR. We all just understand that this is how it works.

Hang in there and give yourself a break.

Leave a comment:

• Hulamoon
    replied

Oh my that sounds like a burden on you. I wouldn't do it again either. Your mom got the family picture, so maybe things will change the next time around. If everyone wants to see you I think it's their turn, especially when you come so far.

Glad DH is feeling better

Leave a comment:

Working...
X