Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird Food of the Night Owls

Ok, maybe just this one.

I was sitting here going over our primary election ballot and enjoying some snack pack pudding cups. Yes, plural. Yeah, I know they are single serving size, but I can't seem to stop at just one. It doesn't help that they are joined in pairs either. Probably worse than the fact that I am eating a chemical cocktail with questionable nutritional value is the flavor. Tapioca.
    Yep. I'm a closet tapioca fan. I have been known to make a package of the Jello cook and serve variety and eat part of it while it is still warm. I never seem to have the patience, or the forethought, to make the large pearl or minute type since it usually requires soaking the nuggets and a longer cook time. I can handle a boxed mix, 2 cups of milk, and 10 minutes at the stove.
    You know, maybe I like it because no one else does. I can almost guarantee that if I buy tapioca pudding, in any form, it will still be in the fridge when I want another serving. That would never happen with any other pudding flavor or most other desserts. Hmmm.

Is there anything that you like to eat (foods, meals, snacks,treats) that the rest of your family won't touch?
    How did you first try it? (Grandma Jones might be to blame for this one.)
    I hope all is well in your neck of the woods!
    Hugs, Cathy
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Re: Weird Food of the Night Owls

Both of us love tapioca! Safeway sells larger containers in the cooler section and those are really good!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Wasabi Peas.
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

I love tapioca pudding but also am the only one in this family. I can remember my Mom making the large pearls homemade and no one but me and mom of course would eat it.
        sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
        Time spent with cats is never wasted.
        Sigmund Freud

Comment

I love tapioca! Haven't had any in a long time! Wish the grocery store was open at 5 am and I'd go get some RIGHT NOW!

Comment

Rice pudding for me, although one DGD loves it too. The one I love takes a long time that involves stove top cooking and then oven baking in a water bath and ends up with a layer of custard on top of the rice. I could eat it for all my meals.
            Wish I had some now but being on a low carb diet rice is a big No No.

Comment

Cookie Dough.... I prefer chocolate chip, but any of it will tempt me.
              Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
              :icon_wave:

Comment

Love me some tapioca, too!! I quite often will buy those large premade containers in the dairy section at the grocery.

What do I store that no one else eats here and I love? PICKLES!!!!!!!!!!
                Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Okay .....I first read this at 4:30 this morning & thought I was reading it wrong........please tell me what pearl and soaking nuggets means with tapioca pudding. As you can tell I'm not a tapioca expert.
                  "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
                  Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

I LOVE tapioca! Haven't had it in a long time. Right now I'm into the crispy fried
                    onions from a package. I put them in stir fry, on salads, on my burgers, heck, I
                    eat them right out of the package, yum! Full of salt and fat!

Comment

Originally posted by pcbatiks View Post
                      Okay ..... please tell me what pearl and soaking nuggets means with tapioca pudding. As you can tell I'm not a tapioca expert.
                      Tapioca comes in a couple of forms. The Minute brand is kind of like a corn meal texture and the pearl variety comes in round "pearls" that are about the size of the plastic balls on the end of quilting pins.
                      In the case of the pearl type, you need to soak the tapioca pearls before cooking them, or you would break your teeth. I can't remember if the Minute kind requires much soaking. These days I'm usually aiming for the box of Jello brand which doesn't require any soaking, and minimal stove top cooking times.
                      Tapioca is a starch and is sometimes used in pie fillings to create a firmer set without altering the flavor. Especially in pies with juicy fillings like blackberry.
                      Great. Now I want pie.
                      Be who you are and say what you feel
                      because those who mind don't matter,
                      and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

OMG! Now I have to go to the store! Yes to the fondly remembered from childhood Jello tapioca. And yes to homemade rice pudding and bread pudding, too, with lots and lots of spices.

Does anyone else remember Heavenly Rice? I loved that so much. Of course, long before I realized how that bright red maraschino cherry coloring was achieved.

Comment

Originally posted by toggpine View Post
                          Tapioca comes in a couple of forms. The Minute brand is kind of like a corn meal texture and the pearl variety comes in round "pearls" that are about the size of the plastic balls on the end of quilting pins.
                          In the case of the pearl type, you need to soak the tapioca pearls before cooking them, or you would break your teeth. I can't remember if the Minute kind requires much soaking. These days I'm usually aiming for the box of Jello brand which doesn't require any soaking, and minimal stove top cooking times.
                          Tapioca is a starch and is sometimes used in pie fillings to create a firmer set without altering the flavor. Especially in pies with juicy fillings like blackberry.
                          Great. Now I want pie.
                          Now I want blackberry pie!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Love this thread, Cathy.

I don't know Heavenly Rice but one thing from my childhood that I would love to have again (but only if Momma made it) would be the packets of Lipton's Chicken Noodle soup. The noodles were about half an inch long and fine like Angel Hair pasta. I'm sure there were things in there that have harmed me for life - but I still want some!!

Comment

A special treat when we were living in the Netherlands, was to walk over to the ALDI and buy a couple of cups of the tapioca pudding they sell. We both loved it. I see the U.S. now has ALDI stores. I wonder if they also have those tapioca cups? If anyone shops at an ALDI please check for me. If they carry them I'll be looking around the OC for an ALDI. When it comes to sweets there isn't much that either of us will turn up our nose to. However, Joe will eat 85% and above chocolate. I stop at the 70% chocolate.
                              Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Working...
                              X