X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kimsophia
    replied
    Re: Melting early bird

This was the first web site I found last year. http://texasbutterflyranch.com/2013/...flies-at-home/

The site got me intrigued so I was watching my garden from the window and a monarch flitted up to a milkweed plant and landed on the underside of a leaf, then flitted away. I came barreling out of the house to check that leaf while I still remembered the location and sure enough, there was a little white egg laid. I just cut that leaf and stuck the stem into a coffee cup with enough water just to cover the stem. After 3-4 days, it hatched. The caterpillar is tiny as an eyelash at that state and often I locate them from the holes on the leaves.

The leaf wilts after a day so I just cut a new leaf and then I clip off the portion of the old leaf that the caterpillar is on and I pin the old leaf to the new leaf. I read once that you could move the caterpillars with a paint brush but I think I injured one that way and it didn't make it. So now I just move the leaf section it is on.

I've heard that there's a local guy who raises hundreds of them every year. Someone at church mentioned that they had just gotten back from viewing his set up but I can't remember the guy's name. I did find a local monarch group on Twitter who are making thousands of seed balls for the bike riders on RAGBRAI to toss into the ditches. RAGBRAI is a huge, week-long bicycle ride and camping event across Iowa.

There are many interesting web sites on how to raise monarch caterpillars on Google. You do need milkweed plants and I managed to get a lot of them to grow in my gardens from seeds I took out of a pod one autumn.

Leave a comment:

• WendyI
    replied

can I also ask how you get the caterpillars? Do you just go hunting for them? I wouldn't even know where to start!

Leave a comment:

• Jean Sewing Machine
    replied

Originally posted by kimsophia View Post
    I do this to increase the monarch population because I was told that in the wild, the eggs only have a 10% survival rate but inside, a 90% survival rate. I guess other bugs like to eat the eggs. Here are some photos.[ATTACH=CONFIG]133381[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]133382[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]133383[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]133384[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]133385[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]133386[/ATTACH]
    The pupa are so beautiful, they almost look like jade jewelry. I hatched monarchs in my classroom a number of times and my students were always so excited when the butterfly emerged! One year, it got out in the classroom, we had a Merry Chase to get it to fly out the window. It was the last day of school, the kids all said Fly Away, Butterfly! Goodbye! And shortly later, I said the same thing to them! I had a moment for sure as they all left for the last time!

Leave a comment:

• WendyI
    replied

Thanks! That's aweseome! Could you share the process with us? I think everyone should be doing this and keeping bees too! If I had property I would definitely keep bees!

Leave a comment:

• Midge
    replied

Originally posted by rebeccas-sewing View Post
    Kimsophia please post pics. We'd love to see this. Not the poop, but the metamorphosis. hahaha
    Oh, I don't know. I'd like to be able to identify monarch poop so I know to avoid it if I happen to find some.....

But yes, share the process with us. I've never done this indoors, sure wish I'd thought of it when my son was growing up. His 'experiments' were numerous, but much more messy.

Leave a comment:

• kimsophia
    replied

I do this to increase the monarch population because I was told that in the wild, the eggs only have a 10% survival rate but inside, a 90% survival rate. I guess other bugs like to eat the eggs. Here are some photos.P1010935.JPGP1010943.JPGP1010961.JPGP1010963.JPGP1010978.JPGP1020004.JPG

Leave a comment:

• rebeccas-sewing
    replied

Kimsophia please post pics. We'd love to see this. Not the poop, but the metamorphosis. hahaha

Leave a comment:

• WendyI
    replied

Originally posted by kimsophia View Post
    It's 6:10 in the morning here and all the windows are fogged up from the humidity. I got out and deadheaded the daylilies and cut some more milkweed for the monarch caterpillars. One is hanging upside down, turning into a pupa. I have to clean their cage every day because all they do all day is eat milkweed and poop like crazy. lol TMI? Or TMMI? (too much monarch information?) Stay cool, owls and larks!
    I'd love to see pics of those. Do you have kids that you're doing this with or just for your own interest. I would love to find some monarch caterpillars and do this!

Leave a comment:

• kimsophia
    replied

It's 6:10 in the morning here and all the windows are fogged up from the humidity. I got out and deadheaded the daylilies and cut some more milkweed for the monarch caterpillars. One is hanging upside down, turning into a pupa. I have to clean their cage every day because all they do all day is eat milkweed and poop like crazy. lol TMI? Or TMMI? (too much monarch information?) Stay cool, owls and larks!

Leave a comment:

• KarenC
    replied

Good morning. Can't believe I am awake at 3:30. Taking the day off today. Bored at work, still have several days PTO unscheduled this year, so thought to just use one of them. Hoping to finish DS's quilt top today. Not much else going on. Hope everyone has a great day.

Leave a comment:

• Andrea F
    started a topic Melting early bird

Melting early bird

Good morning, peeps!

It was so hot yesterday (around 95F), we were almost melting. We're not used to that kind of heat. We had a short but pretty heavy thunderstorm in the evening that cooled everything down a bit. It was so windy, the rain fell almost horizontally. Today is supposed to be a little less hot which I truely appreciate.

I'm gonna have a long but nice day today. Our professor invited all colleagues to a end-of-semester-dinner in a vienamese restaurant. He invites us every semester/for christmas and we'll go there after work. It's going to be a very nice evening.

Have a good night and a beautiful day tomorrow!
Working...
X