Be careful of your pickles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be careful of your pickles

I got some Ball jars to clean out my fridge, getting condiments into smaller jars. When it came to the dill pickles I had to cut some down to fit in. So of course I ate the cut pieces. Umm, check the expire date first. Pickles don't last four years, as my tummy can attest.

If you want to do this little project, get some of these. I got mine at the hardware store
    https://www.amazon.com/Ball-Regular-...stic+ball+jars

ball jars.JPG

Ketchup, mustard and two salad dressings. I feel so empty. lol
    🌺 Lorie

Re: Be careful of your pickles

Oh, Lorie, poor you! Hope you're feeling better, and that you enjoy your nice clean fridge.

Comment

If it took you 4 years to eat that jar, I'd say it's safe to just no longer buy pickles!!

Comment

Originally posted by RockinLou View Post
        If it took you 4 years to eat that jar, I'd say it's safe to just no longer buy pickles!!
        lol that's funny. It was one of those big jars of Clausin dill pickles. My girls moved away and I just didn't use them. I actually prefer bread and butter or jerkins. Or Kim-Chee
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

No pickles for YOU!!

Feel better soon.
          Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

LoriePickle.jpg

What can I say?
            Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
            it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

LOL! Sandy!

I'm with Lou...I'd say you're probably not really into dill pickles. They barely last a week in my house!

Comment

Hmmmm. I could see that happening just about anywhere someone lives alone. I was vaccinated about this issue when my mother was alive and living across the country from me. One visit I saw some sketchy looking stuff in the fridge (when her decline was starting) and she agreed I could clean out her fridge for her. O. M. G. Once the fridge was finished I started on the cupboards. Same issue. I swore it wouldn't happen to me. Don't overbuy 'just in case I need some'. And do pay attention to expiration labels. They may not say much, but they are still a guideline. My friends laugh, but I shop with a list and really use a list system. It saves money and it saves finding those dusty cans of condensed milk in the back of the cupboard that expired 2 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Midge View Post
                  Hmmmm. I could see that happening just about anywhere someone lives alone. I was vaccinated about this issue when my mother was alive and living across the country from me. One visit I saw some sketchy looking stuff in the fridge (when her decline was starting) and she agreed I could clean out her fridge for her. O. M. G. Once the fridge was finished I started on the cupboards. Same issue. I swore it wouldn't happen to me. Don't overbuy 'just in case I need some'. And do pay attention to expiration labels. They may not say much, but they are still a guideline. My friends laugh, but I shop with a list and really use a list system. It saves money and it saves finding those dusty cans of condensed milk in the back of the cupboard that expired 2 years ago.
                  I so hear you about this! My sisters and I went through my Mom's refrigerator and cabinets. Just ugh!!!
                  ***Kathy***

Comment

Originally posted by klgls View Post
                    I so hear you about this! My sisters and I went through my Mom's refrigerator and cabinets. Just ugh!!!
                    When I was six, my family moved from the US to the UK. Three years later we moved back to the US, but to another state. Then 2 years later, we moved to Connecticut, and 9 years later, when my brother and I were in college, my folks moved back to New Orleans. So about 15 years after we originally moved to the UK, my mom had my brother and me spend our spring break unpacking the last of the moving boxes into the new digs in NO. Mom was not much for spending time in the kitchen, but also too cheap (she would have said "thrifty") to ever throw anything away. Which is how we ended up putting jars of spices marked "By order of her Majesty the Queen" in her new cupboards in Louisiana.

Comment

With Midge on this! When my MIL was still living alone, I used to go through her fridge every visit. I swear she would fish things back out of the trash when I wasn't looking, and I'd find them in there again the next time. There was one time she had a pack of expired Jello she was determined to donate to her church food drive even though it was expired. I don't think I ever persuaded her that donating expired food wasn't a good idea

I do find expired things in my own cabinets once in a while too -- nobody's perfect!

Comment

My DH checks the dates on EVERYTHING, he does not remember being purchased within the past 2 weeks. He is constantly throwing things away. I will still use stuff if the use by date is within a week, if it is something I am sure will not give me salmonella. He really does NEED to clean out the pantry, lol.
                        Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                        sigpic

Comment

My MinL used to write the expiration date on the top of all of her canned goods with a big Magic Marker. I thought that was kind of odd until...I found old stuff in the cupboards one day and then thought that was a great idea! When we moved, we found a few forgotten things that were past the date. Easy to do with deep cabinets and overbuying. These days, we try not to stock up, now that it's just two of us eating most meals.
                          Sorry your pickles didn't agree with you. I like the look of your jars.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy Navas View Post
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]133187[/ATTACH]

What can I say?
                            That's one scary pickle!

Originally posted by WendyI View Post
                            LOL! Sandy!

I'm with Lou...I'd say you're probably not really into dill pickles. They barely last a week in my house!
                            Yeah you both are right. lol I bought them for the kids and dh to put on sandwiches and hot dogs. I always liked relish. I was the rebel. lol

As far as spices go, they don't go bad, just lose some flavor. They are good to put in soups etc..
                            🌺 Lorie

Comment

I have a jar of pickles in the frig. that has been there a l-o-n-g time. I think I better pitch them. It's just taking up space. But they haven't been there 4 yrs.! I make a point to label & date items when I purchased them & then when I opened them so I can track the dates. DH does the same when he opens a container of frozen food.

Comment

Working...
                              X