Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday, Monday

Hello Folksies

Monday is here - another week to contemplate what needs to get done, should get done, and thumb my nose at the reality of what will actually get done.

I was recently gifted with a few little bags of scraps by a gentleman. The fabric scraps were from his wife who recently passed. I knew Frances for years, truth to tell, most of my life. I did her hair since I have been home almost 25 years, and then even before I left home I did her hair as well. It is one of those difficult things I have had to do far too many times this year - saying goodbye to friends who influenced my life. So, when Don (or Donnie as my Daddy always called him), came over to the salon the other morning, I was not too surprised. I went outside and we sat on the bench - it was a mild morning, the temps were suffocating yet - and shared some coffee as we have so often in the past. He carried some little grocery bags with scraps in them. We both smiled as we realized that at one time Frances had cut, sewn, created all sorts of wonderful things out of these scraps. Donnie grinned and said, "Now you make something she would be proud of". So, I started another Circle of Comfort. But I may have enough to make something that will really make Donnie smile.

Today is shot day for Elijah. I dreamt about him rolling off the table in the Dr's office and me catching him mid fall.
    In my dream the doc wasn't flustered at all, just jabbed the thigh of the little one, who was in my arms while I was still bent over from reaching out to catch him. What a crazy and silly dream. Trust me, I won't be telling that to the Mommy before we go.

Off to find the coffee pot. Again. Blessings to all, prayers as well. Smiles never run out.

Sewing mends the soul.
    sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Re: Monday, Monday

Good morning Blondie and all who follow. I have no doubt you will use all those scraps to create something beautiful. I too was just recently gifted a large bag and box. I looked through the bag, some fabric, some patterns, some cross stitch, plastic canvas, a really mixed bag of stuff. I think the box contains just yarn. I will have to sit down and really look through this stuff.

We got some rain in the night and it looks like it will be overcast all day today. We so need the rain. I had a very busy weekend. Saturday sold tickets for 50/50 draw, our half was $667.50. Not bad for an afternoon. Then it was off to my niece's for a birthday supper for my brother. A nice meal was served and a lovely visit was had. Yesterday I cut grass for 3 hours. This energizer bunny's died after that. I got a lovely tan in the process. I also made baked beans for our upcoming trip to the camp (Sunday). I also need to make spaghetti sauce this week too for the camp. I also work all week so I will have to find the time to do it all. I may have to use the slow cooker for the sauce. I don't usually make such a small batch of sauce.

So work this week which means lots of quilting time. I am hoping to be finished the butterfly quilt this week. Maizyn asked about it. She wants to come to E and Poppa's house. I will wait until after my surgery and get her for a week. I have lots planned for us. A picnic, beach and swimming pool were all mentioned.

So, that's it for me. I hope Peggie is having a wonderful vacation in Scotland.

Have a wonderful day friends.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Morning all...
      Blondie - you're being a good grandma even in your sleep
      Monique - your are one busy lady!!

I've barely been on this past week - been missing everyone
      I've been focusing on my health alot, and hitting the gym consistently - feels good. I realized how sedentary I had become while FIL was here, and I didn't like the fact that everything was starting to hurt in my body. So this morning I'll head to the gym again...

Got a bombshell email from my mother last night - I have an older half sister... Wait, what???? Yep. My mother sent out a group email to me and my siblings (six of us - I am the youngest), talking about a timeshare that she wants to give to any one of us who wants it because they don't use it anymore... yada yada yada. Then at the end, casually mentions that little tidbit of information! I'm still waiting for more info, and there may be a meeting set up soon. So, as it turns out - I am the youngest of 7, not 6. I'm thinking she must be around 65 or so - I guess my mother gave her up for adoption all those years ago. She recently found my mother and contacted her - crazy, huh??? I'm not sure why my mother never told us - times were different back then.

Ok folks - off to live life today. Love you all

Comment

Norma, the same thing happened to my hubs - his Mom had done the same and never mentioned it. As you said, times were different. Hubs refused to believe he had another sister but when we met her - well, she was the spitting image of his Ma. No doubt about it. She is lovely, was adopted by a wonderful loving family and get this - grew up about a few miles down the road and no one, not even his Ma knew it. She and I are quite good chums. I am very thankful that she had the gumption to find her birth mother, and that she was able to establish a relationship with her before their Mom passed. I realize that this is not the case always. Like I told my hubs, every person on the face of the earth has a past.
        Sewing mends the soul.
        sigpic

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
        ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Good morning friends

I'm up pretty early this morning. I woke up around 4:30 and then couldn't get back to sleep- trying to sell this house is making me crazy. I think its churning in the background all the time even though I really do try to forget about it and carry on. I am rather short on patience (by times) but it has been 4 months and I just want it over soon.

Blondie those dreams can be so scary and crazy at the same time. You really wonder what is going through our brains when we have those kind of dreams!! Your story of Don brought tears to my eyes, but I know you will create something beautiful.
          Monique my friend (we've already been chatting on facebook for a while this morning) you have so much energy.
          Well Songbird that is quite an announcement- you must have been shocked. Your mom must be happy to be reacquainted if she is telling all of you.

I think I mentioned last week that I had finished all the blocks of my Jacob's Ladder. I made most of the blocks when we were on vacation in Florida about 2 years ago and just finished the remaining 5 or 6 blocks a week ago. I didn't think it would be such a big job to put it all together. There are lots of seams to match up and it seems that while I was sitting on the pool deck sewing I may also have been sipping a glass of wine. Well now I am doing some froggin' quilting as I put the blocks together. I was laughing and DH asked me why - my response was "I think I must have had too much wine on holidays when I first made these blocks as some of them are a little off square" Don't know but I thought they looked ok at the time! Ha ha. I think I will rename this quilt "Too much wine"
          Grandma Nan

sigpic

Nancy

"Some of the best memories are created in flip flops"

Comment

Originally posted by Grandma Nan View Post
            Good morning friends

I think I will rename this quilt "Too much wine"

My day is now complete. Thanks for the giggles!!!!
            Sewing mends the soul.
            sigpic

~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Wow Songbird that was an eyeopener of an email, hope the meet with your half sister goes well for all. Back in the day there was no support for a pregnant teen if her family didn't want to give it so adoption was the best choice. Neighbors said their daughter was visiting family in CA, as kids we rarely left our neighborhood let alone had middle of the school year visits to family across the country. Wonder if neighbor's daughter and her child ever met up.

Been up awhile and first thing we have to do today is to get my PC back from the computer guy - been using DH's PC and i keep losing what I'm working on. Also receiving tons of update requests as I don't think he ever updated anything as he uses his PC mostly for his photography.

Just realized that July is half over - summer is going too fast. Guess what? so is the year as I've already received some 2017 calendars.
              Good Morning.jpg!
              Last edited by MayinJerset; July 18, 2016, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Good Mirning!

Blondue... What a challenge...and a nice one, too.... Working with yiur friend's scraps is bound to bring back tons if great memories... So, you can smile...as you shed a tear or two.... I know you will put those treasures to good use,,.

Got a little cleaning to do this morning, then I want to work on the star quilt I'm making fir Baby Geirge, and finish the binding on my fav Aunt's quilt. It's going to be a good day fir sewing....rainy...

However.., I do need to go out... My grandson, Michael, will be taking me to Kroger's later,,,,the larder us bare.... I plan on picking up only what I need, so it shouldn't tske too long...

Also... Got to call our vet... Spencer...my little black Chihuahua has developed skin sores....again.... The last time, a **** if a good antibiotic cleared him up... It was summer, so he might be allergic to something outside... Poor little guy...
                Attached Files

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

It was a short night. There is something out in the woods that is driving the dogs nuts. I gave in at about 4 AM and went out to see what was going on. Whatever was out there was pretty good size. By the time we got out there it was in the woods across the street and making a lot of noise about going through the brush.
                  Coyotes aren't usually that noisy, so it was either a frightened deer, or maybe a bear. The berries are all coming ripe around here and they may be out grubbing around for them. I thought they were more daytime animals, but ....

Still making progress on getting through the my pile of quilt tops. The machine quilting is going well.
                  I'll take the hand quilting piece with me today as I'll be taking Dad to a couple of doctor appointments today and tomorrow. That ought to be an adventure. He can barely stand for a few minutes, I'm not sure about walking. My car is the easiest for him to get into, but it isn't wheelchair accessible, so he's going to have to do some work to get in.
                  Here is to hoping everyone's day goes smoothly!
                  Hugs, Cathy
                  Be who you are and say what you feel
                  because those who mind don't matter,
                  and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

May your scrap project be something to put a smile on Donnie's face and bring him wonderful warm memories) There is no greater honor or good feeling than working with cloth from someone loved! GB
                    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
                    that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

Good morning! Dropping in for a quick few minutes before my day gets going. Life has been so topsy turvy busy for me I'm bouts to loose it! Recap: hubs retired and we bought/closed on a sweet home in a nearby town, current home is for sale. We are moving boxes over and unpacking every day, hiring movers for the big stuff. Trying to keep ourselves and the two dogs sane! Throw in a week with the grands, a pretty significant art show and TONS of "get the house ready to list" projects and that explains my absence from the forum. My sewing room has been packed up for over a month! Prayers for a reasonable offer on our house would be gratefully accepted!

Family stories �� - aw yes. We all grew up in a time when adoption was the option, I would guess there are many yet to surface. My own family has one as well. In my mind these are joyful stories.

Off to get it going. Have a wonderful Monday. Hugs and prayers for anyone who wants/needs!
                      sigpic~~Libby~~

Quilters make great comforters.

Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness.

Comment

Good morning, friends.

Blondie, I know that you will come up with something special to make for your friend.

Congrats Norma......on getting to the gym consistently! Maybe you will help keep me motivated to get on the exercise bike every day.

Cathy......thinking of you and your dad.

Believe it or not.......I'm off to help sort books again. We started taking donations again on July 5th and people are donating with a vengeance! The sorting room is full and there were about 20 boxes outside last week. I was a little sore after hauling those to the sorting room......guess I'm out of shape too.

Hope everyone has a good day.
                        "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
                        Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

Good morning, I'm late today, lot's to catch up on here. You all have a lot going on.

Scooter is much better, finally.
                          The antibiotics and antiinflammatory's made a big difference, then I gave him his flea pill. They ( pills) work better than anything I've ever tried. Now to get the much needed B-A- T-H....yes, you have to spell that word around here.......lol.

Baby Reese is now 2 mo old, wearing a 3 mo. Outfit ......he's growing so fast.

...........Hope you all have a blessed day and a great week.
                          Attached Files

....Bee
                          The footprint's in the sand are not mine, but is that of the Lord's, who has been carrying me....

~~♡sigpic
                          ~~~~Sewn By Bee

Comment

Originally posted by SewnByBee View Post
                            Good morning, I'm late today, lot's to catch up on here. You all have a lot going on.

Scooter is much better, finally.
                            The antibiotics and antiinflammatory's made a big difference, then I gave him his flea pill. They ( pills) work better than anything I've ever tried. Now to get the much needed B-A- T-H....yes, you have to spell that word around here.......lol.

Baby Reese is now 2 mo old, wearing a 3 mo. Outfit ......he's growing so fast.

...........Hope you all have a blessed day and a great week.
                            Peeking in here and got a good old laugh at myself - reading your post at the same time seeing that beautiful baby boy - well, as I said reading and tsking because " he" had to inflammatory meds and a flea pill? Slapping my head soundly because it took me to finish reading that Scooter is your poochie, not a nickname for you precious grand.

Ok, just exposed my true identity as a natural born blonde. Moral of the story? Read to the end and totally comprehend completely before assessing reactions.

PS. Love those chubby cheeks. He is too stinking cute!
                            Sewing mends the soul.
                            sigpic

~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Good Morning, All ~ My SIL got a surprise, too, when she learned just a few yrs. ago she has an older half bro. who had been adopted out. Her mom had never said a word. It was a sweet reunion for them all to get acquainted. They stay in touch.

Good to see you here this a.m., Blondie! Post pics when you get those scraps made into something beautiful.

I have the laundry done. The gardener lady was supposed to come this a.m. to continue weeding for me. She recently had to place her mom in a facility due to dementia. On her way to my house, she got a call that her mom was upset, so had to go take care of that. She may or may not make to my place today. It's a cool morning for yard work, but by the time she gets here (if she does) it will be hot. Every day lately has been in the 90's.

Today I plan to sew together the blocks for "Little Ark" baby quilt #6, which will be for my gr. dau. It should go together fairly quickly. Since the house work is caught up, I can sew w/o guilt. ~ lol ~

I hope everyone has a good day.

Comment

Working...
                              X