Retirement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retirement?

OMG, I just sat here at work this afternoon and needing something to do, started playing with my retirement numbers. I think I may actually do this next year. My new goal is end of 2017 instead of end of 2021! Now I'm nervous. Tomorrow will be a slow day here, so I may have to start searching healthcare insurance. I can't believe this is for real.

Re: Retirement?

I am happily jealous for you. I have not quite 4 years and need them all to finish bulding my savings to even be half decent to retire.

Good for you. Retirement will be a dream come true. Enjoy!
    Karen
    Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Congratulations! There are so many good things about retiring that you don't even realize for the first few months. I took "forced" retirement last year at this time and it was one of the best things I ever did.
      :icon_happy:

sigpic

Comment

I highly recommend retirement....it's been almost 8 years for me. I've made a LOT of quilts in that time.
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Retirement is fantastic!!! The month before it actually happened were full of worry for me and I nearly rescinded the whole thing. So glad I didn't!!
          pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I'd retire in a heartbeat if I could. I'm so happy for you to be able to work things out to retire earlier than planned!

Comment

Congratulation! I'm retiring at the end of this year - looking so forward to it!
              ***Kathy***

Comment

I officially retire at the end of August from a small university but taught my last class in May. Since I don't always teach in the summer, I haven't really realized it yet. Summer's are always busy following 12 grandchildren's activities and I've been busy filling out retirement forms, applying for social security and taking care of Medicare & insurance matters but I'm excited to NOT be going back in the fall! Hopefully I'll have much more time for quilting - if only I could get all my closets cleaned out! So, Karen, I say go for it! It's a wonderful feeling to not have to think about work! Now, if I can just keep my husband working a couple more years so I can have a little alone with my fabric��!
                Brenda. :icon_wave:

Comment

Enjoy retiring. And don't be surprised if you are busier in retirement than you are now. Several people who are retired are busier now than when they were working full-time.

One other piece of advice is please don't put off doing things that you want to do whether that be more quilting, traveling, or taking up a new hobby. Enjoy life to the fullest for you never know what the future may hold. The reason why I say this is my grandparents did take early retirement presuming that my grandpa would follow in the family footsteps of the men in his family who passed away early (usually by 65). Grandpa did not as he lived to be in his 80s. However, many of those years he spend with slow progression Alzheimer which meant some of the wonderful plans of traveling and living activities him and Grandma planned, they were unable to do.

Comment

Enjoy your retirement! I'll be retired 3 years effective August 1. I miss some of the people that I worked with, but I sure don't miss the work!
                    *~* Myrna *~*
                    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

Wow...so very jealous, but in a happy for you way! I've really done myself a disservice by thinking about retirement in the past few years when I still have 15 years to go! uhg. I can hardly wait!

Comment

My official retirement date is 5 1/2 years away but as DH retired in November we have decided for me to go 3 years earlier and I can hardly wait!! The thing is I could go sooner but I really want to visit New England (a long held dream of mine) so I need to keeping working to save for the trip!! AND we have decided to go on a trip of a lifetime - a month touring New Zealand.
                        The thing is I read on the forum about someone buying fabric now in case she couldn't afford to do it when retired. Now I think that's an excellent idea but I think the only way I could do that is if we eat baked beans on toast for most meals!!!

Comment

I may have to start searching healthcare insurance.
                          Thanks goodness for the Affordable Care Act for early retirees.

healthcare.gov
                          Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Retirement is great for those who have worked outside the home. I am a stay at home Mom and wife. My DH retired 24 years ago, but I still haven't retired! In fact,there is twice as much work for me since he retired and is at home making messes! I'm not complaining too much. He does help a lot! And I can go to retreats without getting a cat sitter for Ellie. Our sons Dad-sit for him when I'm gone. We've been able to travel in the RV, and see lots of exciting places. I agree though, do your traveling and other things early. DH now has back trouble, and we are selling the RV and settling down to enjoy life in a different way. We still hope to travel some, but in the car. We have grandchildren and great grands to see, and a few places here in the east that we have not been to. Life is good, and I hope you all will get to enjoy your retirement as much as I have!

Comment

Be sure and ask for your senior discount wherever you go. When I was looking for a storage unit to rent, I asked and received a 10% discount on the monthly rent. It wasn't advertised or posted. It all adds up, and we've earned it! ��

Comment

Working...
                              X