Christmas in July Night Owl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas in July Night Owl

Hoot hoot! Boy was I surprised to walk into Jo-Ann's and the first front and center display was Christmas ribbon and wrapping paper! What? lol But I am cross stitching an old fashioned Santa, so maybe that is a July motivator for us crafters?

I got out and dead headed my daylilies in the morning and then went to bed...I woke up at 5 p.m. so it is mid day to me now. There's summer basketball on tv so I can get my fix...

What's hooting in your woods? @,@

Re: Christmas in July Night Owl

They have already put it out at Hobby Lobby as well. I don't agree with stores that put the decorations, trees, wrapping paper out in July. Arts and crafts stuff I can understand, but the rest??? It needs to wait until Halloween takes place!!

So, MM works graveyard. Monday nights are his first night back for the week. He had a rough time sleeping today it seemed and was up several times. I had to pick up the youngest grandboy today, so he and his mom stayed for dinner. After we ate and they went home, MM said he was going to lay back down for a bit before going in to start work. Well, he got up and is sick!! Running a fever and feeling lousy. He is unable to take a lot of things right now because of his upcoming surgery, so he had to check just what he could take for the fever and did. He's back in bed, but has already been up twice in an hour and a half. Now he's just starting to sneeze......woe is MM.

Sewing did not go well for me today. I may have sewn 4' of stitching and that was all I could take. I'll try again in another week.

We picked our first three tomatoes the other day and four more today! There is nothing like a fresh picked tomato!!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I agree - - - entirely too early to think about buying anything Christmas. When the leaves start falling is early enough for me. Now starting a Christmas project is another story ... it takes time to get that done. Enjoy those tomatoes, Kim.

Sorry to hear about MM, Pat. It's bad enough to be awaiting surgery and then to start getting ill on top of it is just plain depressing.

Haven't sewn since I got here. I'm going through some old paperwork that mom had in the 2-drawer file cabinet and it's taking a very long time. I get fascinated and spend a bunch of time reading ... and then have to decide to trash or save some of these jewels. Spent almost an hour going through her 1946 wedding paperwork. She had a list of items needed for her reception. Dad's brother was to bring the alcohol from Chicago. She got donations of sugar from some neighbors for the wedding cake & icing. Paid a lady 5 cents each to make pierogi and had a list of ladies that would do the cooking and how much each would be paid.

Then there was a list of who gave her which wedding presents - some of which are still here in the house. And then the list of expenses for the honeymoon in Niagra Falls with train ticket & room receipts. 70 year old paperwork - Trash or Treasure?!?!?!

Comment

Wow Judy! Those kinds of things are pretty cool. Is there a way for you to take photos of those things and keep them digitally? Although I'd be inclined to keep something's with her handwriting on them.

I unearthed a pile of quilts that have the tops done, batting trimmed, and backings cut. I just need to baste and quilt!
        I have one done, as it was mounted on fusible batting. I am hoping that it will soften up once it is washed. Other than some heavy creases that mostly ironed out it looked pretty good. I think I will not recommend storing quilts with the fusible batting for several years before quilting. Although, it did quilt fine, the creases were a bit of a pain. I'll let you know the final verdict once it is bound and has been washed.
        Currently I have this back pinned to my living room carpet. I'll spray baste, sandwich, and safety pin it so I can work on it next. I think that leaves 4 maybe 5 completed tops in there. Ugh. I must make space in the work room and on my project list!
        Attached Files
        Be who you are and say what you feel
        because those who mind don't matter,
        and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Judy, Those papers from your parents wedding are priceless - get them in an album to preserve a bit of your family's history.

Oh Poor MM has had some big problems as of late and the last thing he needs to to have a bad cold, hope it's one of those 24 hr things that soon will be on its way.

Christmas stuff on display already? Why not as the Back to School stuff appeared while the kids still had a week or so of school left.

Cathy, Nice to find that quilt all sandwiched and ready to quilt, where was it hiding? Maybe if I look hard enough I'll find one ready to go for my bed. Instead of wishful thinking I better get myself moving and finish the quilt for my latest great grandson as his Christening should be coming scheduled soon. Been waiting to find out what his name is so I can put it on his quilt's label. His parents may not have known the sex of their baby before it was born but they had plenty of time to decide on names for a boy or girl.
          Last edited by MayinJerset; July 13, 2016, 04:34 AM.

Comment

I would treasure the wedding papers.

Special thoughts and prayers for MM.
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Judy........I would hang on to some of those wedding papers. Maybe put them in an album or shadow box with other things. You could probably find other nice ideas on pinterest on how to preserve or store them.
              "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
              Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

Judy, I am all over that save and protect those wedding papers train. Since all of my family is gone I have no one to ask questions of and that is a gold mine you are sitting on. How interesting for future generations.
                I also hate when they start bringing the Christmas stuff out so soon, it makes it hard to take it seriously and cheapens the season.
                Pat, sorry to hear Hubby is not feeling well. Lets hope you can get a jump on it so it doesn't interfere with his surgery. Still sending positive vibes your way for both of you.
                Cathy, hummm, how does one attract those secret little workers that come in and put together tops, batting and backings and then stash them in your home for you to find? That sounds like such a fun game!

Kathy

Comment

Judy you MUST save those papers! Do have a scanner? You can scan them into your computer then put on a CD or flash drive very easily.Years ago my FIL (who passed about 10 years ago) shared with us that he tossed all the old letters he wrote to his parents when he was in WW2, his point was that he didn't want to leave with alot of papers to go through when he died so he thought was doing us a favor. My dh and I were just sick about it, we would have loved reading them. They can always be thrown out later but once they are gone, they are gone forever, so think twice about every piece of paper!!

Comment

I want to keep the papers - but being an only child with no children of my own I'm at a loss. Who would I give them to who would appreciate them? Time to start contacting the extended family (cousins) and see if there is any interest. Until then I think I will try to preserve them AND scan them too.

Thanks for the advice ... truly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Judy, USMC View Post
                      I want to keep the papers - but being an only child with no children of my own I'm at a loss. Who would I give them to who would appreciate them? Time to start contacting the extended family (cousins) and see if there is any interest. Until then I think I will try to preserve them AND scan them too.

Thanks for the advice ... truly appreciated.
                      Judy, my 2 cents as a genealogist - keep them. Yes to scanning. The originals should be stored in an acid free box for documents. If there are no family members who are interested in getting copies of your mom's papers, I suggest you approach local historical societies. They are interested in records of everyday life, and it sounds like your mother's paperwork is very complete. It could make an interesting exhibit, especially if you also have her wedding portrait still. Donating these to a historical society will also enable future students to gain access to original documents. Also, some of the folks mentioned in your mom's paperwork probably are still around? They or their kids may enjoy seeing original documents mentioning their relatives.

Comment

Hoot hoot? I got almost no sleep yesterday so I fell asleep around midnight, I'm guessing...just got up and cut some more milkweed for the monarch caterpillars we are fostering.

Got some nice bedding off of Craigslist for $10 last night for my buddy...this guy is going to have a nice home

Comment

Working...
                        X