Unwanted (furrry) visitors!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unwanted (furrry) visitors!

A couple nights ago, we had a furry little visitor. The black and white type. He didn't bother us and we went inside so we wouldn't bother him.

skunk.jpg

Well, he liked the backyard so much, he (ummm, guess he is a she) brought the family this morning. Hey, now, this is getting out of hand. AND it was in the morning. And I thought skunks were nocturnal. Guess not since they were visiting at 10am. Cute babies, but-well, let's just say I would prefer this little family to visit elsewhere.

skunks-a.jpg

So I am standing on the deck, sort of saying "Go away" and hitting the railing with my hand. Sort of. Not really threatening, but suggesting that there was a human close by. They ignored me. THEN Cesar, the 18 pound cat, comes out from behind the hedge, less than three feet from the skunks, thinking-hmmm, mom wants me but I am not sure if I should continue. OMG, I just stopped. Seeing the cat, the skunks decided it was time to slowly leave. Once they left, Cesar continued up to me. I think we need to put something over the holes in the fence for a while. Like a block or wood. Nothing permanent, but just to make visiting a bit harder.

To add just another insult to my delightful backyard, the groundhogs ate my strawberries.

To be honest, these little furry creatures don't bother me. I enjoy the entertainment. But maybe not so much if the skunks have an issue with one of the cats.

Re: Unwanted (furrry) visitors!

OMG, Cesar could have been in for a rude awakening if he took up the challenge to rid your yard of intruders!

Comment

Oh Vicky get yourself a good line on a supply of tomato juice if the cat and the visitors decide to take each other on. I also think you should immediately go and have your eyes checked and make sure your prescription on your glasses is up to date. Why? you might ask. I don't know if you have seen the TV commercial for one of the optical companies where the lady is calling the cat in and lets in a skunk because she can't see. I would hate to have this happen to you my dear.
      Good luck with your furry friends.
      Grandma Nan

sigpic

Nancy

"Some of the best memories are created in flip flops"

Comment

You might want to make sure you have hydrogen peroxide and baking soda at home in case of a skunk emergency. THis is supposed to be the most effective way to get the smell off of our pet animals. Here are instructions: http://www.1800petmeds.com/education...dor-pets-9.htm
        If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

My mom had a pet skunk when I was really little. I don't remember it but have a picture. Then she wanted a koala bear, but we got a raccoon. She missed her calling to be a zoo keeper and went into book keeping. lol
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

Oh my. A 4th of July you will always remember.

Comment

My grandma got sprayed in the face by a skunk. My dad and grandpa went to the local grocery mom and pop shop and purchased every bit of tomato juice on credit. The doc said it was a good thing she was wearing her glasses, or she would have had permanent blindness.
              If you live in town they can be captured without them spraying anything and relocated to a less populated area. It requires a live trap and an old tarp. They will eat cat food, so you already have the bait. Once trapped, you would slowly approach with the tarp wide in front of you. Moving slowly, you can cover the trap. It then thinks it is safe with no threats as it cannot see past the tarp. No sudden noises or movement, it can be transported to the country. The release of the trap is the tricky part but as long as you don't startle it you will be ok.
              Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

Yikes! Seeing those critters in my back yard would make me VERY nervous! We get skunks in our neighborhood occas. One spring there was one under our next neighbor's deck. When it sprayed, their basement, in fact their entire house as well as our yard smelled very bad! It seemed like it took forever for them to get rid of the smell. Even her clothes smelled bad for quite a long time afterwards. I've never seen them out in the day time. I usually smell them in the night or about 4-5 a.m.

Comment

Years ago one got under my parents house and daddy sat outside with a gun...waited and shot it. Then out came a bunch of babies, I guess he shot them too I don't remember.
                  Rivermom, I think I would call someone experienced in pest removal. I am not sure if I would try a trap.

Comment

I once had a problem with skunks, a live trap and a shotgun got rid of them.
                    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I feel sad that you would just kill something for no reason. We don't have wild animals here except birds. I would just enjoy watching the gifts of nature until they pass by. Pests are flies and cockroaches not innocent creatures where humankind has taken over their habitats.
                      🌺 Lorie

Comment

When I lived in the country and the skunks would get under the brooder house we would throw an open box of moth balls under there and the skunks would leave permanently. Guess they don't like the smell of them anymore than I do. But aren't they cute?!
                        sigpic

Comment

You might try putting mothballs around your yard. We spotted some-a family- a few weeks ago going for a stroll between our house and the neighbors. DH put mothballs around and we haven't seen them since
                          β€œWhat we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                            I feel sad that you would just kill something for no reason. We don't have wild animals here except birds. I would just enjoy watching the gifts of nature until they pass by. Pests are flies and cockroaches not innocent creatures where humankind has taken over their habitats.
                            One reason many people kill skunks is that they are notorious carriers of rabies, something you don't have in Hawaii.

Skunks are out during the day as well, but mostly I have seen them in the twilight hours, as the sun is ready to set. My sister had a descented skunk as a pet for a while. He was sweet enough, but when he went potty, he still smelled really bad.
                            K is for Karen πŸ˜Šβ€‹..................
                            Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                            T - is it TRUE?
                            H - is it HELPFUL?
                            I - is it INSPIRING?
                            N - is it NECESSARY?
                            K - is it KIND?

Comment

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
                              One reason many people kill skunks is that they are notorious carriers of rabies, something you don't have in Hawaii.

Good point.
                              🌺 Lorie

Comment

Working...
                              X