Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did anyone see the Dr. Oz show about Parmesan Cheese?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did anyone see the Dr. Oz show about Parmesan Cheese?

Was watching Dr. Oz the other day and he did a segment on Parmesan Cheese powder. It was unbelievable, some of the powdered stuff has as little as 30% actual Parmesan cheese in it and what's even worse if you look on the label you will see Cellulose powder listed. In layman's terms that is wood pulp. I was checking all the brands of powdered Parm. at my grocery store last evening and I'm sure I found some with 0% parm in it and lots of cellulose. Even though it is more expensive I think buying a small chunk of hard Parmesan and grating it yourself would be worth the money and the taste would be so much better you probably wouldn't need as much.
    Did everyone else know this already, am I the last to this party?

Re: Did anyone see the Dr. Oz show about Parmesan Cheese?

I doubt you are last to the party but I can't remember where I learned about the ripoff. I buy Parm in wedges and use a table side grinder, or if I need a lot a box grater. Why pay good money for faux food?

Comment

yep its pretty disgusting. most pre grated cheese has potato starch added too
      Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
      Terry

Comment

I always read the label. If it doesn't say 100% cheese, I don't buy it.
        Don't even get me started about what's in "Fat Free Half and Half"...

Comment

You can keep the chunk of parmesan in the freezer and bring it out when needed. It's easier to grate when good and cold!
          pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I didn't watch that one, but the same story was on America's Test kitchen. It made me sad to hear how the food industry pulls this kind of crap. Parm is expensive, but I always buy the best on this one.
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

Yeah it was all over the news about a month or two ago. I hate parm cheese good thing I guess. I also cannot stand Dr. Oz!!! He always seems so conceited and like Look! I am a Celebrity! And he acts like he is way better than everybody.

Comment

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
                Yeah it was all over the news about a month or two ago. I hate parm cheese good thing I guess. I also cannot stand Dr. Oz!!!
                Not a Dr. Oz fan either but he does have quite a following. Oh, and to keep on topic, I didn't see the story but I buy my parm in chunks and grate as needed. We should all start reading labels more closely so we know exactly what we're eating.

Comment

Yeah it was all over the news about a month or two ago. I hate parm cheese good thing I guess. I also cannot stand Dr. Oz!!! He always seems so conceited and like Look! I am a Celebrity! And he acts like he is way better than everybody.
                  Funny you mention that. I don't watch him very often, only when I want to hear about a certain subject, like today was about turkey burgers. I absolutely hate when he takes a women's hand and leads them like they are little girls. It's so condescending. I want to throw something at the tv.
                  🌺 Lorie

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                    Funny you mention that. I don't watch him very often, only when I want to hear about a certain subject, like today was about turkey burgers. I absolutely hate when he takes a women's hand and leads them like they are little girls. It's so condescending. I want to throw something at the tv.
                    Thanks. I was a little worried I would offend Dr. Oz fans out there!

Comment

This is the same way I feel about his daughter, Daphne, as well. She seems like a big phoney to me. I don't think she is trained as a chef, yet she is on a show with famous chefs and it appears she doesn't really know what she is doing.
                      pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Never bought a can of that cheese, my Italain ancestors would be rolling over in their graves. I like peccorona romano that i get at local Italian deli, either pregrated or in a chunk to grate as needed.

Food shopping is a major investigation chore nowadays and you need a big magnifying glass to see that teeny tiny print on labels.

Comment

I wonder nowadays how many of the foods we eat are actually foods and not fillers, chemicals or God knows what.
                          https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
                          Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

I, too, heard about this on a news segment a couple months ago. I usually will buy the parm cheese already grated - next to the chunks.

Comment

Somewhere along the line it was said that the healthiest shopping choices are made around the perimeter of the store - fresh produce, meats, fish, dairy, etc. The advice was to purchase as little food products as possible from the aisles. If you do purchase from the aisles reading labels is a smart choice.
                              Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Working...
                              X