Happy Midsummer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Midsummer!

Tomorrow is Midsummer's Eve, when we celebrate midsummer in Sweden (along with a few other countries). We'll do as family tradition bids and go to the family cottage, dress the Maypole (or Midsummer pole), dance around it, eat traditional food and drink snaps and sing.

This is me with a simple midsummer wreath (taken only last week) and next to it is a generic Maypole. Ours usually looks something like that but probably not as pretty...

Sommar 2016.jpg s2xzecufu8oo7tmzlmhd.jpg

Here are some instructions, should you ever visit Sweden at this time of the year!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8ZLpGOOA1Q

Huge summer greetings to all my forum friends, on this, my last day of work for quuuuuuuuuite some time!
    ~ Anna ~

My Pinterest

Re: Happy Midsummer!

That looks like fun! Thank you for sharing your tradition with us.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
    http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
    http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

In my countrythe 23th is celebrated the Night of the bonfires of San Juan, formerly were burning them old forniture and things that were useless, now it´s just a bonfire with firewood to remember the early summer, and people dance and have fun all night, it is very famous and celebrated throughout Spain

Comment

We don't have a tradition like this,but at our 4th of July we have bbq and some places play games and at night there will be fireworks.I hope you have a Happy Midsummer Celebration.
        :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

How pretty you are! The one special one we have in Hawaii is May Day is Lei day. The kids do dances at school and there are flowers everywhere!
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

Happy Midsummer to you, Anna! Thanks for the video--what fun! Now I'm going to have to find a recipe for that strawberry cake....I hope you have a wonderful celebration.
            Ellen =^..^=

Comment

I just watched that video and had to laugh at the beginning at the bring your own. Too funny.
              🌺 Lorie

Comment

Wow...would LOVE to see this some day. I've always wanted to travel to Switzerland. My grandfather was from there! Love your pics! xox

Comment

Thanks for sharing this event with us, Anna. It's hard to believe that mid-summer is upon us already.
                  Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Glad Midsommar!
                    Happy midsummer!
                    sigpic

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
                    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
                    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
                    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Comment

Originally posted by WendyI View Post
                      Wow...would LOVE to see this some day. I've always wanted to travel to Switzerland. My grandfather was from there! Love your pics! xox
                      OMG I hope that was a joke lol. Switzerland...!
                      ~ Anna ~

My Pinterest

Comment

Thanks for sharing your customs - always happy to see what other people do for holidays or just plain everyday living.

A few years ago we were hoping to take a trip to Sweden as one of my nieces was married to a Swedish guy who invited us to stay at his parent's summer place in Sweden. They, my niece and her DH, lived in New York City and often went to Sweden so we were set to go with them next time they went. Never happened as my niece threw him over and married a guy from Italy who we've only met once and who didn't offer any invitations to visit Italy.

Comment

Originally posted by Wwena View Post
                          OMG I hope that was a joke lol. Switzerland...!
                          LMAO!! Sadly it's not! I TOTALLY read Switzerland!! BUT I would STILL love to visit Sweden too!! Oh boy...so red-faced over here. hahaha!

Comment

Haha I love you too Wendy!
                            ~ Anna ~

My Pinterest

Comment

Originally posted by MayinJerset View Post
                              Thanks for sharing your customs - always happy to see what other people do for holidays or just plain everyday living.

A few years ago we were hoping to take a trip to Sweden as one of my nieces was married to a Swedish guy who invited us to stay at his parent's summer place in Sweden. They, my niece and her DH, lived in New York City and often went to Sweden so we were set to go with them next time they went. Never happened as my niece threw him over and married a guy from Italy who we've only met once and who didn't offer any invitations to visit Italy.
                              ID love to meet you, come visit us!
                              ~ Anna ~

My Pinterest

Comment

Working...
                              X