How much $ for gift?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much $ for gift?

I am going to a college grad open house party for my nephew's step-daughter. I don't know her really well so not sure how much to give. I was thinking $40 and I will put it in a cosmetic bag I made for her. Does that sound ok?

Re: How much $ for gift?

I'm certain she will find your gift to be generous.

Comment

That sounds good. I gave a $40 gift card from Bed Bath and Beyond to my dd's friend for a wedding gift. We don't have one here, but they do on the island they live on. I got a very nice note back. I thought young people didn't know how to mail a letter anymore. lol
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

I usually give $50 to non family, $75 to family for hs graduation, $100 to family for college grad, $25 for 8th grade. For wedding I usually give $100 or a gift card to a store on their wish list. I have no idea if these figures are the norm.

Comment

Thank you gals! I think I'll include a little more cash or include a gift card too. Thanks for you replies!

Comment

Give what you can actually afford, and feels right to your budget.

Comment

Cute idea to put your gift into the cosmetic bag you made her - makes the gift special no matter how much you give.

Just realized we have no grads this year. Youngest DGD graduated high school last year and youngest DGchild and only DGS Ben is completing his high school freshmen year.
              Last edited by MayinJerset; June 7, 2016, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Well, my DD just informed me that it's HS grad party, not that it really makes much difference! I've been out of the loop for awhile with weddings and graduations, so just trying to keep abreast of current gifting trends. Most of the weddings and grad parties were done long ago and we've been on the baby trail for quite awhile. lol It seems that these events come and go in spurts.

I am feverishly FMQ feathers on Kaffee Fassett fabric for the bag. Hope to be done tonight, Wish me luck!

Comment

I must really be out of the loop with $$. I think 40 is a whole bunch. Especially for a distant relative. I think a card and the cosmetic bag is appropriate without the money. I am on such a limited income that money doesn't really register with me I guess. Young people really don't seem to appreciate money anyway. I have given money at weddings thinking they are going to get a start in life and they squander it on things I would never dream of spendingmoney on. A nephew is one thing. Their daughter is another and when you get to the step daughter thing unless you are really close, a handmade gift is doing a wonderful thing. Remmeber, its not how much but the thought. Right?
                  Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                  Terry

Comment

Sharyn, I think you are exactly right with the gift! $40 and a bag is an appropriate gift from a Great Aunt. I usually do $50 for that generation for a HS grad but with you giving the bag too $40 is spot on. Enjoy the open house and time with your family.

But I agree that there is no reason to go beyond what is comfortable for your budget.

Comment

Thanks to all of you for your great advice. I finished the cosmetic bag and got practice with feathers (lol). My GD's love their bags and always pestering for more, so I think that any 18 yr old girl would use a cosmetic bag and I hope she will like it. I'll stuff some cash so she can spend or save however she wants.

It's suppose to be in the high 90's this weekend and humid...............great, just my kind of weather.....NOT
                      Attached Files

Comment

Sharyn, as a fellow Chicagolander I am also dreading this weekend's weather! It's the humidity! I just wanted to say how beautiful your cosmetic bag is. Can never go wrong with Kaffe, can you? She'll love it!

Comment

Love your bag. That'll make a nice gift. I'd like to receive it, myself...

Comment

I thunk that's a very generous gift...especially since you don't know her very well...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

I think it is fabulous and would make a great stand alone gift even without cash. For some reason, cash just seems so impersonal and your bag will outshine any amount of money.
                              Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                              Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X