Things that show your age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Things that show your age

camping in the backyard, colored plastic records, The purple people eater, chewing gum on the bedpost, riding down the coast highway in the back! of the pickup singing I'm Henry the Eighth I am at the top of our lungs. Campfire girls! Vacation Bible School at every church in town because they were fun and free
    sigpic

Comment

We walked to school, picking up more and more friends along the way, and then we walked back home for lunch! And then, back again to school for the afternoon. Friends always got together to walk to the soda fountain, sometimes walking into the next town. Walked to the community swimming pool almost every day in the summer. On the weekends, we also got together to play in the fields and the wooded areas that surrounded the edge of town. We went trick or treating through the town without any parental supervision.

I even was sent to the corner store to buy cigarettes for my father! And I sometimes bought candy cigarettes for myself. I don't know how much gas cost, but I remember paying 25 and 30 cents for a loaf of bread. Milk was delivered by the dairy, with the cream on top.

I remember the paper dolls, and as a preteenager, making scrapbooks using flour and water to make the paste.
      If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

In our rural area, we still had party line phones until the mid 70s. DH's aunt was on the line with us. She had 5 daughters and she talked to every one of them every day. It's a good thing I've never been much of a phone talker because I didn't get to use it much back then! LOL!

Due to the cost of long distance, some folks who traveled out of town would call home person-to-person and ask for themselves to let family know they made it to their destination safely and avoid the long distance charges when family said that person wasn't there.
        Last edited by MRoy; December 15th, 2015, 06:11 PM.
        *~* Myrna *~*
        *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

I remember ice skating to school because our country road was rarely plowed and the cars/trucks packed the snow so much putting on ice skates was "safer" that trying to walk on the roads.
          Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Comment

So funny you should mention the purple people eater. About a year ago I came across an old one that my granddaughter who is now 26 had at one time. I have a 2-1/2 year old granddaughter and her parents living with me now. Anyway, I hit the play button the on the purple people eater and my granddaughter went into a melt down, screaming and crying. We have to keep it hidden because if she even sees it she starts crying lol.

Comment

Outside all day, Saturday mornings for 25cents we could go to the Fleetwood Movie House on Morris Ave in the Bronx NYC and watch one cartoon after the other. Kids everywhere. There was a "matron" and ushers with flashlights who tried to keep order. We were there for at least three hours. We roller skated, chalked up the sidedwalks and ran and ran all day. I would sit outside the local butcher shop and wait for their big grey cat to come out and just pet and hug on him. I would go to the shoemaker and watch him repair shoes, glueing and shaping the leather on soles and sewing them. I found it fascinating. Sundays you couldn't skate, or play ball and all the stores were closed, but you could walk to the park and play. Then you better be home for Sunday dinner. Oh those were lovely days, were they not. ? Good memories, I'm glad I experienced them.

Comment

I remember seeing a dilly bar at DQ for the first time thinking it was such a beautiful creation. Lol. And Daddy milked the cows while listening to the baseball game on his transistor radio. And the five and dime gave penny candy to good girls (I still want to believe that wasn't just for me).

Comment

Working...
                X