Amy Pet Peeve...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amy Pet Peeve...

PThis has nothing to do with quilting.... However, it has bern on my mind a long time....

I was once an Englidh teacher, do words and proper grammar matter to me...

My pet peeve...the thing that mskes me see red us the incorrect use if the word "less"... By people who should know better.... Commercials, famous people, scriptwriters,...people in general...

You can have...

Less water
    Less fear
    Less food
    Less knowledge

You cannot have fewer any if the above things... Just less...

But you can have

Fewer pencils
    Fewer glasses
    Fewer books

You cannot have LESS books, glasses, or less pencils...because LESS does not refer to the plural....FEWER does..

It just gets to me when I hear people who should know better misuse LESS.. Happens all the time... You hear it all over TV and audio.... You'd think those who produce commercials, and write scripts....or do talk shows...would know that LESS never modifies things...FEWER does.

Sorry.. I meant MY Pet Peeve... My vision is one if mt stresses right now...
    Last edited by easyquilts; October 8, 2015, 01:42 PM.

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Re: Amy Pet Peeve...

How about to, too and two? Drives me crazy! And "I seen it". I taught college grammar for 7-1/2 years, makes the grammar gene in me go crazy at times!

Comment

How about this one irregardless.
      All quilts cat tested and approved.
      sigpic

Comment

Sorta like: the fullest extent of the law???
        No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
        Aesop

Comment

Or my personal favorite - lose and loose. Apparently there are lots of loosers in this world. Sometimes more of those than actual losers.

Anyone else cringe at incorrect verb conjugations?

Comment

Mine is using the word THAT instead of WHO.

Mrs. Price drilled that one into my head (with a power drill, no less) and I cringe when I hear someone say "The man THAT was driving the car . . . " when it should be "The man WHO was driving the car . . . "

But, I do find myself using some colloquialisms because I'm being silly.
            Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
            it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Even though English is my one and only language, grammar rules still puzzle me. And I'm a college graduate and graduated with honors. For every rule, there seems to be an exception. I have had several people tell me that English is the hardest language to learn. I believe it, I'm still learning.
              Vonnie

Comment

All of the above, and a few more. English communications major here!

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
                  How about to, too and two? Drives me crazy! And "I seen it". I taught college grammar for 7-1/2 years, makes the grammar gene in me go crazy at times!
                  Me too, Jean! I wasn't even that good in Language Arts, as they call it today.

I do have a funny story, though. We have a coworker who I will call "K" that is forever saying "I seen...." Another coworker , "M" has tried unsuccessfully to break her of this bad habit. One night recently "K" came in and said to "M" - "I seen two men in the parking lot that looked suspicious" "M" again tried to correct her by saying "I SAW two men in the parking lot" to which "K" replied "you seen them too?"
                  Donna

Comment

Mine is Kindergarten, especially when a kindergarten teacher says they teach Kindeegarden.
                    Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Comment

English teacher here, too (to, two)!

Less and fewer bug me as well-- I always tell my students, if you can count it, use fewer; if you can't, use less. You can add less flour to a recipe, or you can use fewer cups of flour.

I'm also seeing more mix-ups of than and then.

My favorite mistake in a paper: "Halloween is a copulation of many different cultural traditions."
                      Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com

Comment

If my husband bought a bag of candy and gave me three pieces, would I have less than him or fewer? I never paid any attention to these two words before and I am not sure I even "get it." I did not go to college but have been a secretary forever so I pride myself on good spelling and (I thought) above average grammar. I am not mocking you, please don't take this the wrong way!

Comment

Mine is...me and Tom done this (Tom was there for an example) drive me crazy.,

Comment

"Weird Al" Yankovic has a fun song about Word Crimes...mine is using "literally" instead of "figuratively".
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gv0H-vPoDc

Comment

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
                              If my husband bought a bag of candy and gave me three pieces, would I have less than him or fewer? I never paid any attention to these two words before and I am not sure I even "get it." I did not go to college but have been a secretary forever so I pride myself on good spelling and (I thought) above average grammar. I am not mocking you, please don't take this the wrong way!
                              You would have fewer pieces of candy than he.
                              Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X