Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christmas is coming and my goose is getting cooked . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas is coming and my goose is getting cooked . . .

Hello Folksies
    With all the Christmas in July stuff I have been seeing and hearing, it occurred to me that I have had a lapse in time. How did it get to be July already? I generally start in January with my next holiday making but somehow this year has so far seen me so busy with everything and everyone else but me. Know the feeling? If you do and you would like some nudging in the direction of getting busy - keep an eye on this thread. HOPEFULLY, we will be getting ideas, suggestions and links to something we have not thought of or seen before.
    I know that I have put the NCW down as one I would like to make for a gift. But what about all the others? I have men, women, children and babies to gift for! I can't make all of them another quilt. I mean, good grief, look at the time! To paraphrase the white wabbit: "time, time! who's got the time?"

So, wonderfully creative and magnanimous ones - give it up! What shall I, we - do? It doesn't have to be anything big or even extraordinary, it just needs to be a gentle persuasion that our gift-ees have been thought of in a special way.

PS: Let's keep this bumped up, shall we; please?
    Sewing mends the soul.
    sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Re: Christmas is coming and my goose is getting cooked . . .

I am going to finally make some of the box bags for all the people in my family. The girls will get something with pretty girlie fabric, and all the guys will get camo. Hunters always need a place to keep their tree steps, turkey calls, camo makeup, and all the other "stuff" I find in pants pockets! Oh, and grandson will get one with some little toys inside. It doesn't sound like that big of a deal but putting in the zipper scares the bajeebers out of me.
    Robin
    My Pinterest Page of the Quilts I've Made: http://www.pinterest.com/rwmomto3/quilts-ive-made/

Comment

I will be following this post Blondie; I am not sure where this year has gone for me. It can't be past the middle of July!!!I definitely need a nudge, maybe even a push. I know it will happen but right now I can't even bring myself to think about Christmas. At some point I will panic. I need some motivation without going into panic mode. As well, I love Christmas but find myself less and less interested in the gifting and more interested in the fellowship and feelings of Christmas.

Last year I did 6 quilts for Christmas for all the grandkids and my disabled daughter. Now all the rest of the adult kids want quilts but they all need queen and king size so it is a lot more time and money (I dont quilt them myself so add $200- $300). Oh well, we all know they will get them but it may just not be for Christmas. I am also getting braver and am going to at least start quilting the smaller ones myself.

Like I said, right now I can't provide inspiration but I will be following.
      Grandma Nan

sigpic

Nancy

"Some of the best memories are created in flip flops"

Comment

zippers are quite easy with zipper foots (plural of foot)
        follow jean sewing machine
        i will make gifts for the men in my life when they make gifts for me
        not going to happen
        not going to happen
        give them a coupon for a dollar off something at harbor freight
        if you insist on being crafty get elmer glue and stick it to a piece of fabric
        cut with pinking shears of course

they do not cook for me
        i do not cook for them
        turn about is fair play

she is not my mother so i am not buying mothers day cards and mailing
        he is not my blood relative so i am not sending your brother birthday cards
        you do not send my brother cards so why should i be the one who remembers
        your family dates

get real out there men
        i thought a thought that i thought i had thought but the thought that i had thought wasnt the thought that i had thought i had thought so maybe if i had thought the thought that i thought i thought i wouldn't of thought so much

Comment

Originally posted by Snickeldorfer View Post
          zippers are quite easy with zipper foots (plural of foot)
          follow jean sewing machine
          i will make gifts for the men in my life when they make gifts for me
          not going to happen
          not going to happen
          give them a coupon for a dollar off something at harbor freight
          if you insist on being crafty get elmer glue and stick it to a piece of fabric
          cut with pinking shears of course

they do not cook for me
          i do not cook for them
          turn about is fair play

she is not my mother so i am not buying mothers day cards and mailing
          he is not my blood relative so i am not sending your brother birthday cards
          you do not send my brother cards so why should i be the one who remembers
          your family dates

get real out there men
          wow, Snick, you sound as if you really have gotten tired of your man's ability to slough things off to you. hear, hear!
          You know, one year, in fact, I think it was the last year of my first marriage, I gave him a wire brush and toothpaste for
          Christmas so he could scrub out his potty mouth. I can't express here just how well that gift was received.
          Sewing mends the soul.
          sigpic

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
          ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Ouch, about the men in past lives....

I have a fabulous SIL that is not only great with my DD, but treats DH and I like royalty. He is the best and I am going to make him a quilt with the flannel layer cakes I bought last winter. Hopefully it will be done by Christmas. LOL. I'm thinking maybe a quillo type quilt.
            No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
            Aesop

Comment

Great idea, Granny Fran - I've never made a quillow. Have to study on that one.
              And my own SIL is as yours - treats my daughter, dear man and I with great love.
              Sewing mends the soul.
              sigpic

~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

In June, I start wondering what to make for my co-workers at school thinking that since I have about 20 gifts to pass out, I can get them finished before school begins at the end of August and I am that far ahead. Usually, I find that I do not figure out what I am going to make until September and then it takes me until the end of November to finish them all. So, I look for something that can be made that is assembly line fashion and not too large or heavy (if purchasing items because fabric gifts are not heavy) as they have to be carried in to school and up the stairs and then stashed under my desk until the time is right).
                I have made 6-Pocket Bags, mug rugs, and medium sized Snap Bags. A few even received lap sized fleece blankets.

As for family, the kids each have their own vehicle now so they are all getting a filled first aid kit to put in their trunk. They are also getting a emergency tool kit that includes flares, etc. I've seen them at Walmart before, might even check out Amazon and that's a biggie for me cause I don't do much if hardly any on-line shopping.

I will be keeping an eye on other ideas that come across here.
                Last edited by quiltingtrish; July 16, 2015, 08:26 AM.
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
                http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
                http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

As of right now my intent is to make what is called "Cobb Webb Sisters". You take just a cheap ordinary cotton garden glove, a small amount of 5 different color pieces of yarn, some fiberfill and a wooden dowl rod (middle size in diameter). You take the garden glove and with whatever color Sharpie Marker you write Some little cute saying of your choice, then you stuff the glove with fiber fill and put it over the dowl rod and tie it off, then you attach the five different colors of yarn to the top of each finger with hot glue and separate the strands of yarn and make fuzzy hair and you have a Cobb Webb Sister.

Comment

I've done a bunch of matching kitchen towels/pot holders/microwave bowl cozies for wedding showers lately - they're a big hit with both men (if they live alone) and women. See my album "2015."

For kids, what about pillow cases with a pocket to hold a book or favorite toy?

Just got a great pattern for a jewelry/cosmetics/hosiery organizer from JoAnn. Really cute, and not hard at all. Don't have access to the pattern envelope right now, but I can get it to you.

Ooh, this is fun! What ideas do all of you have?
                    Last edited by SallyO'Sews; July 16, 2015, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Oy vey! I am in the same pickle! Several things have slowed me down this year, and when it comes to my quilting, I feel like I am moving through molasses. I have begun to resign myself that there will be no big gifts this year. But I like this idea of sharing ideas, so I will be participating. My DIL is definitely getting a pretty table runner, I have the top finished! I would like to make her a set of pillows and gift my son with a Christmas tree skirt. I like giving seasonal gifts, so the recipient doesn't feel obligated to have the item in view throughout the whole year.

My daughter and SIL are more difficult. Daughter doesn't care for patchwork (although she appreciates the work involved), so many wonderful ideas get passed by. I may still make her a set of placemats (she can store them out of sight when not in use!) SIL and his daughter observe their Jewish religion, so this is a new area of gift giving for me. The little girl is 10 years old. I have a wonderful pattern for a menorah wall hanging - the candles are held by snowmen. I just need a kick in the butt to make it, as it is mostly applique, not piecing.

I also see many microwave bowl pot holders being made for gifting. I have a pattern and material for chenille scarves, and would like to gift them this year......now that I have this in writing, will everyone take turns holding my feet to the fire?
                      If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

I gave up the GrammaBabs gifts (about 20) that i would make for all my friends "grands". Having only 1 handsome guy that's 27 myself... and a small family, It was a fun thing to do.... but... This is what i do now...

As some of you know, i began making ornaments with the year on them. They are sent out to all relatives and friends... Postage has gone way up and the ideas are getting more difficult. Soon there will have to be a "repeat" in style..LOL
                        But all in all,,,, it's a wonderful small thing to give all the special people that have touched my life over the years... I'm up to 150,,, so i'm about to begin in a month... 2015 here i come.... The first of these was 1993!!
                        Last edited by GrammaBabs; July 16, 2015, 08:44 AM.
                        "Each day well-lived and Happy;
                        that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

Say it isn't so.
                          I just bought two things to make for Fall/Thanksgiving.
                          We are in a smallish family and most have decided to not swap gifts so not too much to do. I do want to do something for the grands but it won't be a quilt, they are well covered with them. I did get two row x row s Tuesday, one a choo choo and the other a mermaid, they will become Christmas gift wall hangings.
                          I think I will make DIL a table topper, too.
                          Claire from Pelham, Alabama

Comment

Found this link on pinterest:

15 Handmade Christmas Gifts to Start Making Now - HoneyBear Lane

No time to search for more right at this minute - and hey, y'all are giving me some great ideas!

Sylvia - with a healthy dose of my family that is Jewish, we always have fun celebrating. I will look into my "files" and come up with something.
                            Sewing mends the soul.
                            sigpic

~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

My mom's quilt is done for Christmas, but I'm behind in planning for anyone else.
                              Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X