Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have their have their bath tub cut so you could walk into it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have their have their bath tub cut so you could walk into it?

We were thinking of having our downstairs bathroom tub refitted into a walk in shower as it would be easier on my arthritic knees. Bathfitter does that locally but 2 friends haven't been too happy with their service. Came across a company that cuts an opening in the middle of your existing tub and leaves just 4" threshold to step over into the tub. They do acrylic and cast iron (which we have) and there are 2 size openings that they cut. You could even save the cut out in case you want to convert it back to a tub if you are selling your house.

Seems like a quicker alternative as it requires no plumbing or modifications like a walk in shower refit would. Our drain is on the left and the walk ins is in the middle and the wall surround would need to be modified for the window in our shower (who ever thought of putting them there?). Probably less expensive to have the tub cut. We're going to have a rep come over to give us an estimate.
    walk in tub.jpg
    TubcutafterNICE-405x235.jpg
    Last edited by MayinJerset; March 10, 2015, 10:32 AM.

Re: Anyone have their have their bath tub cut so you could walk into it?

Haven't heard of this service before. My grands tell me every time they see the commercials for the walk in bath, that I need one of those. My problem is I love to take bubble baths, filled with great smelling stuff that helps the aches and pains, as well as relaxes me. The problem with that is DH has to help me get down, and then back up. Thank God he is strong as an ox.
    By all means if this is what you want, do it. Check with the BBB, or even Angie's List to get referrals.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
    sigpic

Comment

My brother and nephew did this for my Dad when couldn't step over the tub. Worked great.
      ***Kathy***

Comment

We have a window in our front bathroom shower too! It is the frosted glass so there really isn't an issue with it being there. I think it is just because the tub is always on the outside wall so there isn't any other place for a window.

I've never seen the tub cut deal, but it should work. I'm not so sure about reversing it and having the tub hold water though.
        K is for Karen 😊​..................
        Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
        T - is it TRUE?
        H - is it HELPFUL?
        I - is it INSPIRING?
        N - is it NECESSARY?
        K - is it KIND?

Comment

Originally posted by auntiemern View Post
          Haven't heard of this service before. My grands tell me every time they see the commercials for the walk in bath, that I need one of those. My problem is I love to take bubble baths, filled with great smelling stuff that helps the aches and pains, as well as relaxes me. The problem with that is DH has to help me get down, and then back up. Thank God he is strong as an ox.
          By all means if this is what you want, do it. Check with the BBB, or even Angie's List to get referrals.
          Marilyn those walk in tubs you see on TV would be great, easy to get in and out of and their seat is chair height, they are also the most expensive but usually don't need extra plumbing or construction work done.

My bathroom is small so there isn't room to open the door of one of them as the toilet bowl is in the way. That's why when I saw the ad for cutting an opening in our present tub I called for a rep to come here so we could find out more info. I really prefer a shower so it may work out good for me. If we have the cut done I guess I could put a chair in the tub for the safest showering.

Comment

May, it is my understanding that the step in, sit down tubs open to the inside of the tub. It makes sense, that way you don't have to worry about the door swinging open while the tub is full of water.

Before you speak,
            T - is it TRUE?
            H - is it HELPFUL?
            I - is it INSPIRING?
            N - is it NECESSARY?
            K - is it KIND?

Comment

I have a big shower and DH made me a seat out of teak, works great and since the shower is a large one it doesn't have to be removed for others.
              Since you're always on my mind can you straighten out the mess up there?

Comment

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
                May, it is my understanding that the step in, sit down tubs open to the inside of the tub. It makes sense, that way you don't have to worry about the door swinging open while the tub is full of water.
                Yeah, but don't you have to sit there and wait for the tub to completely drain before you can get out? Chilly??????
                Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy Navas View Post
                  Yeah, but don't you have to sit there and wait for the tub to completely drain before you can get out? Chilly??????
                  Yeah, but those tubs have built in heaters for the water, etc. One reason they are so expensive. That said, you'd have to sit there and wait even if the door opened out unless you wanted to flood the bathroom.

Before you speak,
                  T - is it TRUE?
                  H - is it HELPFUL?
                  I - is it INSPIRING?
                  N - is it NECESSARY?
                  K - is it KIND?

Comment

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
                    Yeah, but those tubs have built in heaters for the water, etc. One reason they are so expensive. That said, you'd have to sit there and wait even if the door opened out unless you wanted to flood the bathroom.
                    Just goes to show you that getting older is NOT for sissies!!
                    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Oh yeah, growing older definitely isn't for sissies. Thanks for the feedback. Will have to check out those step in tubs further before we decided what to do. I really didn't plan to takes baths in it asl I prefer to shower but like the idea there was a built in seat and no construction needed in my bathroom.

Comment

I would google the name of the co.that you have coming in to see what kind of info is out there about them.Look for reviews good or bad before you let them cut into your tub.
                        :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

One couple that I know did cut out part of the side of their tub as the lady could not step into the tub. They just had someone come in with a saw and cut part of the side out and left it unfinished. It worked for them. I like the idea of the finished style. Of course, I don't know if we even have anyone around here that does the work like the picture shows. I know at one time in our old house, we wanted to have the tub redone and at that time there was no one in the area who did the type of work we wanted done.

Comment

there is no way I'd sit in a tub - warm or not - to let the dirty water drain out before I got out. ICK!

I miss soaking in a tub. My legs are too long to sit in a tub and soak. I've always thought about getting rid of the tub and having a shower put in. I wonder if they make really long tubs? Like a horse trough... LOL

Comment

We went a step further a few years ago and removed the tub and made a walk in shower. It has no door at all, and the space is about five feet by five feet. I have a built in bench, this I would not do the next time however. I love it and it will allow us to grow old while staying in our own house. I find the tiled floor easier then a tub floor to walk on and lots of room for the water to splash around without getting the bathroom wet. I made sure we put a one inch lip at the end of the tiles, but you could easily just slant the tiles to insure that the water never leaves the tiled area. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X