Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mondays should be fun . . .

Good Morning, Ladies
    I plan on getting an early start at one of my favorite thrifts this morning. They are having their annual back to school 50% off everything in the store. Sis and I will be there with bells on, ready to plunder for booty. Arggh! All Monday's should be fun like this.

Yesterday afternoon I took a solid nap - could've slept the rest of the day and night , but Luscious woke me up! I had taken some benedryll for a hornet sting on my back. Now that is 4 of us in a month. These stingers are really angry this year, all though it doesn't take much in this heat to make them upset. This one flew up the back of my shirt and zapped me twice. I am not like my sis and Dad and have the allergic reactions, thankfully. But I could taste that venom in my mouth from the sting and it did hurt really bad. Took benedryl to counteract it, made me sleep and then all of a sudden my husband woke me to ask when I was going to cook dinner. hmmm, and I THOUGHT he knew where the kitchen was. The frig is FULL of leftovers.

I think I mentioned the other day that the fabric I ordered from Fabric.com arrived finally correct. I have washed it, dried it and hopefully after my binge at the thrift begin to measure and cut for the inserts for my cabinets and sink skirt.
    YAY.

Have a good one, ladies!
    Sewing mends the soul.
    sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Re: Mondays should be fun . . .

Good morning. Oh Blondie sorry to hear about your sting. Nasty little critters they are.

Well I cut the grass yesterday and then had to have a little nappie myself. Tuckered me right out. Husband says "Why didn't you come and ask for help". Now I know he is not that STUPID that he didn't hear the lawnmover. DId you know ask yourself "Where and what is my wife doing"? Only took me 2 1/2 hours!!

Did not work on my swap blocks because I just can't get them right.

Probably out to get groceries today and may work on those blocks again.

I wish everyone a wonderful day and stay cool!!
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Good Morning, Blondie, sorry to hear about your stings. I had a nasty encounter with hornets several years ago that put me in the ER. Wishing you and Sis a good day hunting for treasures! I'm off to do laundry and housework today. I need to get a quilt to my LAQer if it's to go in the quilt show next month. I wish everyone a good Monday...Barb
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Oh Blondie, stings are nasty. Feel better soon.

Monique, don't you know that men can't put two and two together and get four.hehe.

I spent the weekend painting, cleaning and planting. Painted the bathroom reno and the 1 bedroom wall that was renovated. We got the medicine cabinet in, window trim and curtains. Even hung some pictures. Looks nice even though there is not floor or crown molding and the shelves aren't in and it's still got a temporary door. Just getting a little color makes a world of difference. Got a few more plants for the new bern and rain garden. And then cleaned the whole camp for the renters to come in.

Today it's back to work and facing a whole month staying home where the housework has been serious neglected all summer. DH has appointment today to decide when to have his appendectomy...probably later this month.

Have a great day everyone,
        ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

Morning all! Blondie, I haven't had a sting in eons, probably when I was a kid, I guess I'm too sour! I know they hurt though, I remember.

Today I'll be taking my nephew to the local college to register. Since he's living with us now I want to know what's going on with him so he's stuck with me! Actually, we get along wonderfully and seem to enjoy each other's company.

Another horribly hot day here in the Houston area so won't be spending anymore time outside than need be.

I hope everyone has a great Monday!

Terri

Comment

Hot here....again! Will water plants quickly, get mail, and get back inside. Mud room to put back together, finally. Lots of little projects and still major ones to do. School starting soon and tons to prepare. NO sewing for me, so you all must sew extra!

Blondie----sorry to hear about the stingers. Be careful! Enjoy your thrifting day.

Sandy---Brian is recovering nicely from his surgery. Hard to keep him down and occupied and he eats constantly. Keeps me hopping!

Everyone have a great day!

Comment

If it isn't one thing it is another. Teach the men where the kitchen is, show them what a lawnmower looks like, help them schedule their appointments, draw maps so they can find the cereal (even if it has never changed places in the last 10 years), do their laundry, pick up after them, give them simple medical advice . . .

Okay, I have a rant today, but I'll save it until I share my good thoughts and well wishes with everyone. One of my dear, dear friends who lives in NC sent me pictures of some of her hand quilting and piecing. I must say I adore her technique. She's into a primitive style that I find draws me like a magnet. Thanks, Blondie, for sharing. Why is it that we love what others do but seem to think we can't do the same ourselves . . . there's something about letting go with emotions and going with the flow, and letting our hearts speak through our fingers.

Okay, I'm venting. My DH, bless his little pea-pickin' heart, is from South America. He speaks Spanish, French, and English. In fact, his English is often better than my Hill-Billy talk . . . I still say warsh and poosh . . . So, he volunteers as a translator for the local authorities - the police, sheriff's department, and highway patrol. About a year or so ago he decided he wanted to be certified as an interpreter so he could handle court cases and he called the state capitol whatever department and inquired. They sent him a bunch of information but, per his man-style he set the papers aside and never acted on them. Fast forward to last week. All of a sudden this matter becomes top priority for him. He even cleaned up his desk (which I refuse to even look at since it is so bad) and found the paperwork. Called Jefferson City again. They sent him all the applications and an FBI finger-print card that he needs to have filled in and sent back. It arrived on Saturday. So, yesterday he makes a special effort to set his alarm for the morning, got up and made a call the the local police department. Seems he has to go to the Highway Patrol office to be finger-printed, but they only do them on Tuesdays and Thursdays. And, you know what? This upset him so much that he just couldn't waltz in there and get it done today because that's when HE planned to have it done. I started laughing and he couldn't understand why! MEN.

So, my day has started out with a good laugh and now I'm taking my penguin quilt (which I sandwiched and pinned yesterday) to the sewing room and hopefully will have it quilted by the end of the day. And I may just sleep down there tonight . . . .
              Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
              it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

sandy i swear my DH is brother to yours! that is an on going theme here. blondie sorry about your sting. DD got one last week and her whole arm swelled. she was miserable for days. We are heading out to the fair for a while before it gets too hot to enjoy.
                “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

You ladies just slay me!!!! And I know well the troubles you've seen......lol. I am separated from husband number two and as I was doing my dishes this morning it hit me....our anniversary is tomorrow..22years, but he lives in the Yukon so the party is out I guess. I'll just have to facebook him and his girlfriend and wish him happy anniversary don't you think....

Speaking of stings, I hope your okay Blondie. Those stings are pretty nasty. We have yellow jackets around here but because of the long winters I think they are kept at a low amount.

I was at the boss's house Saturday and the staff all had our annual BBQ. We aren't a big office, just eight of us but with spouses and kids it adds up. He has a beautiful home right on the lake with a beautiful beach and of course, all the water toys that big boys want...I mean need....Once the sun set we began a bonfire in the pit and all sat around with libations and talking. Well, I got eaten alive by mosquitoes....I was up all night last night itching. I tried witch-hazel, baking soda, and even calamine (?) but nothing helped and naturally I didn't have and benedryl or allergy pills.....just the sheets on me made me itch.....ack!!!! Hopefully they will settle down some today.

I have the day off here because it is a holiday Civic Day or something like that..but planned to finish my long awaited pinwheel quilt. Unfortunately I didn't get enough of the material I wanted for the backing and it is out of stock.....so I have to be inventive and find something in my stash that will work.

So yes, a good Monday to everyone.....

Alana
                  Alana
                  To live a creative life we must lose our fear of being wrong.
                  alanashideaway.blogspot.com
                  https://www.facebook.com/quiltsbyAlana

Comment

Oh Dear! It sounds like all of our men are variations of the same! When we were preparing to paint the outside of the house, we pulled the BBQ grill away and realized we had quite the smoke mark up the side of the house. We didn't want to put it back where it was, but I didn't want it 5 miles away either. I suggested that we turn it 90 degrees and then the heat and smoke would disperse away from the house and yet still be close enough to the kitchen to be convenient. 5 days later he comes to me and says we should turn the BBQ grill away from the house so we don't ruin the new paint, but it would still be easy to get to. Seriously, he didn't remember the conversation until I went back over it nearly word for word. He can't ever figure out which lid goes with what container, and the scrambled egg pan, NEVER in 10 years, has made it beyond finding some water in the sink. I still love him and realize that there are so many who are much worse! He does cook on occasion, and IF it becomes necessary, do his own laundry, and manage some house cleaning. No complaining, just some head shaking!
                    Blondie, I hope your retail therapy helps you get over your hornet stings. Happy thrifting!
                    Barb and Nancy and SuzyQ sound like they have some housework to do. I'll be joining you ladies in that a little later myself.
                    Terri, have fun with your nephew at college today!
                    Sandy, happy quilting! May the phone not ring while you are down there!
                    Bakermom, enjoy the fair!
                    Monique, what block pattern are you working on? (I must have missed that part somewhere.) What is it doing that has you so frustrated?
                    Out to finish up morning chores and double check everybody's water for the day. Em and I have a run to the grocery store planned for later today. I hope to get to the D9P I found on the cutting table. It should go together really quickly, if I can get time on the machine!
                    You all have a great day. Try to stay cool if you are in the heat wave, and for those who are in the flip side of the planet, may you find a nice patch of sun to remind you that winter won't last forever!
                    Cathy
                    Be who you are and say what you feel
                    because those who mind don't matter,
                    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Alana,
                      Do you have material left from the top? I am having to piece the back of one of my quilts too. I am opting for a simple row of squares run down the length of the top to make it wide enough. It will almost make the quilt reversible. I have also used coordinating strips along edges to get the extra I need. Hmmm. I guess I have pieced more than one back. Maybe after I get chores done, I'll post some pics on the blog for you to see. I can't get them to load here since last Nov. Who says the back has to be just one boring piece of material? Make it as fun as the front!
                      Cathy
                      Be who you are and say what you feel
                      because those who mind don't matter,
                      and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Blondie, sorry you got stung but glad you feel well enough to go thrifting. I love thrift shops. I seems my day is starting off a little later than the rest of you. We do keep strange hours at our house. DH works in oilfield and is on 24 hour call, so he going and coming at all hours of the day and night. He had a 4 a.m. wake up, if he's worked all day before an early wake up I'll stay up to get him up. So my schedule is bonkers most of the time. I finally found the fabric to do the border, backing and binding on my D9P quilt but have to wait for it to come in the mail, also waiting on fabric in the mail for my pinwheel. I'm just waiting lalalalala. LOL going to Joanns today and try to find fabric to finish another top.
                        Alana we have mosquitos here the size of divebombers it seems like. Try putting clear fingernail polish on them, sounds crazy I know but that usually works for me better than the no itch stuff. I was told the reason it works is because it blocks the air from them, don't know if thats what it does or not, but it does stop the itching.
                        Sandy, I know what you mean, my DH needs to renew his CDL drivers license before his b'day on the
                        4th, he got the notice in the mail 2 months ago and I found it the other day buried in a stack of other mail that has never been opened. We have lived in this house for nearly twenty years, the cereal has been in the same cabinet all that time but he can't find it.
                        I'm off to shower and shop for fabric, and visit a friend that has been in the hospital for nearly two months with 3 compressed fractures in her back and has finally been home for about a week. I visited her everyday at the hospital and I'm so glad she's well enough to be home again. Been a slow process and she'll be in a wheelchair or scooter most of the time but we are both so looking forward to be able to shop and craft together, we have so many plans for projects there is no way we'll get them all done.LOL Have a great day everyone.
                        Last edited by Txgrandma; August 1, 2011, 11:51 AM. Reason: can't type this morning
                        Mary
                        A bed without a quilt, is like a sky without stars:)

Comment

Mosquito bites - Mom always put meat tenderizer on ours . . . MSG.

I'm having to piece the sides of the penguin backing - it is about 3 inches too short on both long sides - and I measured several times!

About half finished with the quilting though. Back to the basement!

Comment

Blondie, I'm really sorry to hear about your encounter with the business end of that hornet! Hope you feel better quick. Like Sandy's mom, my mom used meat tenderizer on us kids too. Worked just last year when I stepped on one... (works for mosquito bites too)

Cathy, didja get all your hay in? That brings back memories. I love the smell of fresh cut hay, but I don't especially love moving those bales around! I've hauled enough hay to know how much fun you've been having.

Alana....have you seen loonwatchers quote? I think she has the solution to some people's husband/boyfriend issues...trade em for a sewing machine!!!

Sandy I would love to see your penguins... so you like chocolate cake? my sister is preparing a 2012 shelter, & I could steal a few supplies from her, bring Helga (my Viking sewing machine) the cake & maybe a d9p or something....some jammies.... a slumber party? How long are you gonna hole up in your basement?
                            Hugs everyone!

Always remember you are unique! (just like everyone else)
                            If at first you DO succeed, try not to look so surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by plix View Post
                              Sandy I would love to see your penguins... so you like chocolate cake? my sister is preparing a 2012 shelter, & I could steal a few supplies from her, bring Helga (my Viking sewing machine) the cake & maybe a d9p or something....some jammies.... a slumber party? How long are you gonna hole up in your basement?
                              Hugs everyone!Always remember you are unique! (just like everyone else)
                              You absolutely crack me up - I'm up for the slumber party, but I did come up for a breather. I'll take some pictures and post them in my album - the penguin is coming along nicely.

I name all my sewing machines - well most of them. I haven't named the Viking though. Sometimes I call HER cuss-words.

I have two Featherweights - 1 named Patsy Cline and the other named Kate Smith - because they are REAL SINGERS. Also have one named Dolly, one is Mary, one Martha, and I have two 99K's (3/4 size) named Mary Jane and Jean Anne.

Comment

Working...
                              X