Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Life is Good - it's Wednesday!

Good Morning, dear Ladies!

I am welcoming Wednesday in with a cup of coffee in my new coffeemaker. The other one gave up the ghost yesterday. You would not find me very pleasant without it. Went down to Mom's because I KNOW she has about 5 extras - well maybe only 3 - and asked to borrow one. Nope. She is on a tear about getting things ready for a yard sale. I don't see that happening until the 12th of Never, however and I even offered to buy one off her. Ah, she's a shrewd business lady that one. Oy!

The sky is beginning to lighten up, that means it is time to water and see what's ready to shake off the vine, bushes, trees. I may start some canning up again. I freeze a lot as well but have had enough power outages to appreciate the canned food. At least every few years we get enough of a storm come through that leaves us without power for 3 to 5 days. Not a pretty site inside a freezer then. After I lost my freezer load about 10 years ago, I started canning again in earnest and freezing some. I have even canned meat. Just need a pressure canner/cooker. My pressure cooker is also dead from old age so I am saving my pennies for a new one.

Have a good day! Smile! Uses less muscle to make wrinkles and besides, it makes you FEEL GOOD to smile! Smiling is contagious, too. Ever notice how many people smile just seeing you smile?

Sewing mends the soul.
    sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Re: Life is Good - it's Wednesday!

Morning Blondie, I'm smiling as I write and I feel good! In a minute here I'll be heading out for my morning walk. It's cool enough for it to be enjoyable for a change.

I don't do any canning. We're too shaded at our house to grow anything. But, I do make blueberry jam. I made 2 batches last week during our horrible hot spell. Yuck. But, you've gotta do it when they're ready to pick. It's good stuff, so I won't complain too much.

I do know what you mean about power outages. We've had 2 here in the past 3 years where we've been without power for 3 days. That's a pretty tough situation when it hits in the winter! We don't need to worry about our freezer stuff, we just put it out on the deck to keep cold! Our problem is keeping the house warm enough that our pipes don't freeze and finding ways to stay warm. We finally got hold of a used generator that my DH tinkered with and got working. It's ready to use for the next outage. I just hope it doesn't need to be used.

Have a great day everyone!
    When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Good morning Blondie! I'm not a coffee drinker, but my husband and my grown daughter are. The only way I know to get my daughter up at a decent hour when she visits is to carry coffee up to her! LOL! I've been doing some canning myself. So far I've only canned dill pickles, but tomatoes are starting to come on, so it won't be long before I start them. Oh, and I've been picking blackberries that grow along our pond bank and putting them in the freezer. I get them out all year long and make blackberry pie or muffins with them.

We've had a couple of times when our power went out for a few days, but that's unusual. It was when hurricane Ike pushed all the way up into Indiana and then a few months later we had a horrific ice storm. Today is going to be a hot one...upper 90's and humid! I think I'll stay inside most of the day and quilt. Hope you have a great day!
      Last edited by bec; July 27, 2011, 05:54 AM.
      Bec

Comment

Morning All. I don't can but I would freeze beans and berries. I was too busy/lazy to deal with the veggie garden this year so I just put in one tomato plant (which turns out to be cherry tomators...ugh), a couple rows of onions (which DH will eat as green tails before they get to grow big) and potatoes to fill the rest of the space. My beans have not had much flavor the last few years to I figured why bother.

We get lots of power outages in the winter so DH had a generator system installed to power the main things, furnace, freezer and kitchen. I can't remember how it all works so he just better be home when the power goes out. We only plan to use it when it's expected to be a long outage, which hasn't happened since it was installed. Thank goodness.

Work for me today and off to help a friend learn to use her new printer. Was supposed to do that yesterday my the Dr's appt I thought was today turned out to be yesterday. Just routine...all okay...except of course I was reprimanded for the weight I've put on this summer...lower BP # and triglycerides are up. Got to get that under control because I can't take any of the trig. meds due to various reactions.

Have a great day,
        ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

Good Wednesday everyone!
          Now that we don't get the weather channel (was one of my favorites in the winter), I have to catch the news to see what's ahead and it looks like we are on another heat wave for the next few days. They said we would get a relief on Monday and Tuesday but they seemed like HOT days to me. Pick 5 weeds and the sweat pours off of ya.
          Now, my dad and sister are coming home 3 days earlier than planned, so I would like to try and get down there and get more of the garden de-weeded. I think after 2 weeks, they have had enough of each other - she texted me and said " look for the UPS truck cause she was sending the body home early". In case you didn't get that, 'the body' would refer to being my Dad. There were problems in the hotel room and they spent 2 days with her going to a hardware store for nuts and bolts - she removed the mattress from the bed so he could fix the bed frame and also he fixed 2 things on the toilet. That's just 1 thing that's going on with their vacation.

Oh - yesterday was fun! After stopping by the local eye doctors place to see if I could order another set of frames for DS's glasses - seems an arm broke off - and then informing me that of course the 2 yr. warranty expired for them and also his last eye exam was over 2 years ago that I would need him to have the new eye exam, new lenses, and new frames for over $350. that needs to be paid in full in 10 days to pick them up - and I asked if they wouldn't take it on payments - I got the look of AGAST! from the 2 at the desk who must be trying to make money for the wonderful eye doctor people, the nice gal that was trying to help with the cost and all - finally took me aside and said this is what you do in the meantime until you can get him at a later time - she superglued the arm back on and said just put a dab here and work the arm until it dries. It should work a few times for you. I about hugged her and went on my merry way. Guess we'll be saving up for new glasses in the future cause I'm sure it won't work forever.
          So - on to the rest of the day. Had a super wonderful time with my younger sister - we only get together maybe once or twice during the year cause of our work schedules. Hit the flea/farmers market and came home with $.25 cantalopes - oh so sweet!, tomatoes, plums, peaches, whoopie pies, 3 containers of Amish wedding dinners, and a HUGE old drying rack - that was only $10. I've seen similiar racks that go for $50. or more. I'll be hanging more clothes up through the winter when I won't have to go outside and freeze my fingers getting them on and off the line.
          Well - best run and get moving down to the garden while it's still a tad cool out there, I'm sure that won't last too much longer. The gray bird that welcomes my dad every day is looking lonely also.
          Have a super day all!
          Hugs,
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
          http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
          http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

Good Morning Everyone, Wednesday has already been a busy day for me and will not include any time to sew. I'm making pickles and canning green beans and tomatoes. Our zucchini finally perked up and they're making up for goofing off so long. We'll be having zucchini casserole this evening. I have a glass cooktop stove and have to be very careful canning and let it cool in between batches. This makes a long day even longer, but it also gives me an excuse to sit and rest a spell. I use a pressure canner for most things but still have my water bath canner. We had fresh blackberry shortcake last night. DH said it made his tongue want to slap his brains out!...I'm guessing he liked it LOL. The thing about harvesting veggies and fruit is that it all seems to need attention at the same time. I love being able to line up the jars and have tangible proof of my labor. I also love it when I'm in bed at night and hear the 'ping..ping' of the jars sealing. I'll say so long for now and wish you all a wonderful day. Stay cool....Barb
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Good Morning Everyone, love reading what everyone is up to today. Sounds like people are very busy with their harvests. I picked 12 cucumbers this morning and several squash. The green beans must be effected by the heat because there are some little ones on there but they aren't growing. Weather Forecast for 109 today. UGH! Will it every cool off.
              That squash casserole sounds good.
              Everyone have a great day, Shirley
              Shirley :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Good morning! Finally, after 2 3/4 months I quilted all day yesterday! I'm working on a Postage Stamp quilt for my mom's Christmas present. I'm here at the ranch by myself, except for my two biggo dogs, so quilting is on the agenda again today. Besides, it's too hot outside to do anything else! Yesterday it was 104F!!! Tomorrow I will be painting the kitchen, not a huge chore (I hope) as there's not much wall space. Anyway, I hope you all have a great day!

Terri

Comment

Hi everyone so glad to hear everyone's garden is doing so well. As for me I had to have a plate put in my broken wrist Monday. It has been a ruff two day but this morning I think I am going to survive. Hope everyone has a great day. Linda

Comment

Hi Everyone, I'll gladly swap my winter for your heat I dont mind.Also would someone like a stuffed knee as well I 'II gladly part with my right knee as long as l can have a new one.... Sorry to be a downer
                    "DO NOT CRITICIZE UNTIL YOU HAVE WALKED A MILE IN MY SHOES."
                    :icon_heh::icon_wave::

Comment

Good morning all my quilting buddies. Blondie I know what you mean about the power outages. I lost everything in an upright freezer not once but twice.The first time during the ice storm(really need to post some pics of it,the pictures are beautiful!) and again recently when the straight line winds reeked havoc on our place. what a mess. Canning is the way to go.
                      Linda,bless your heart.I can't imagine having only one hand to work with.wow!
                      Barb, "slap his brains out" LOL My kind of humor. Love it.
                      Lisa , wish I could help with the knee situation.My ankle is still giving me fits and it has been since memorial day that I injured it.What a pain!!
                      Everybody be careful out in the garden.. don't get to hot. Hydrate hydrate hydrate!!! Hugs
                      Rhonda

Comment

There are days that I wish I had a garden out back, a sharp hoe and zinnia growing all around, interspersed with a bunch of Marigolds here and there . . . just like Grandpa's garden. It was always immaculate and I loved seeing him hoe weeds. But, since I can't keep weeds out of my flower beds I guess I have to keep buying cardboard veggies from the supermarket. Blah!! One of my cousins was bragging on FB recently about his beautiful tomato plants (7 1/2 foot tall and LOADED) - and the next evening we had strong winds which tore up his garden.

I guess my day (which seems very late in getting started) is planned for me. I just came from the kitchen and see that Al left his biscotti container on the counter - empty and needing refilled. I thought I may get some sewing in today, but then again, maybe not. Sometimes life just gets in the way of having fun, you know. Al is off with the little ones at the pool. Today is their 'test' day - the end of their lessons for this year - and tomorrow they will just get to play at the aquatic park. Hopefully they will all get to move up to their next level for next year. Last evening they all came over and practiced, practiced, practiced in our pool.

I'm sending new body parts to Lisa, cool weather to those in need, prayers to those who need them, hugs to all.
                        Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                        it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Hi everyone, I decided to take a break from my steroid generated house cleaning and check out how you all are. I will say prayers for all of you with injuries and hurts.
                          My husband is amazed at how much I have accomplished in two days and wondered if they could put him on steroids. LOL They really do tear up on your body though and I hate taking them. But I will do anything to make sure I can see the grandkids and my son and daughter in law. Emily is doing good this week so far. We are waiting for Mondays blood work up to make sure she is picking her levels back up. Her body is fighting the good fight. And her spirits and resolve is amazing. I'm so proud of her. We just got pictures of all three girls and they are beautiful.
                          I wish I knew how to can foods. We have also had ice storms and wind storms that have taken out our freezer foods. I'm just afraid I'd do it wrong and give everyone botulism! Lord know I don't want to kill off the family! LOL
                          Well, have a great day and keep the faith. And say a prayer for our stupid government officials who can't seem to do anything right. Also I will pray for all of the sick and injured. Love and hug, Jan L
                          Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Good morning! Had to get up early to drive BF to a job today and be able to enjoy the day with a car! Once I get the house picked up and a few more loads of laundry done it is off to a couple thrift shops and a stop at Hobby Lobby.
                            I learned to can from my grandma(s) and mom, We always did tomatoes, several jams, pickles and of course, all the fruit grown on my grandpa's farm, peaches, pears, plums, cherries, as well as cherry and apple pie filling. Once I was married we also canned potatoes, salsa, and tons of salmon my husband caught on Lake Michigan. We bought a big freezer but I was never keen on eating frozen food. Today I only make a small batch of strawberry freezer jam each year and freeze up some corn I cut off the cob whenever we have leftovers. I just love that sweet corn in the middle of winter!
                            I sure did enjoy reading that people still canned up their own harvest.
                            Well, off to switch the laundry.
                            Patti
                            "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Comment

Hi Everybody!
                              The only things I'll end up getting out of the garden are herbs and maybe leeks. The leeks are a new thing, so I'll have to figure out how to save them. Nothing else is really growing. I should get to the produce markets and see what I can find to can up. I'll be checking with the couple of folks I know that go east of the mountains to see if I can have them pick up some cheaper produce. We did tomatoes and apples last year. The apple butter was a huge hit.
                              Once I get Em some lunch I'm gonna hit the sewing machine. I got the cutting table cleared off yesterday, so that is all ready to go!
                              Catch ya later alligators!
                              Be who you are and say what you feel
                              because those who mind don't matter,
                              and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
                              X