An introduction to Aunty Lizzie and Granny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An introduction to Aunty Lizzie and Granny

As i seem to have quoted both my granny and my aunty Lizzie several times here over the past few days i thought i should try to introduce them to you.

Firstly, i should explain that Aunty Lizzie was my Granny's aunt too. She was my great great aunt. Secondly..they really didnt like each other lol. Aunty Lizzie thought Granny was..'no better than she ought to be' based on the fact that she took off her pinny (apron) to take the rubbish out to the bin. Granny thought Lizzie was a 'know it all' which in truth she was lol but i didnt care and secretly thought Granny was very like her lol.

I loved them both. Granny from a fairly safe distance because she could blow without much warning! Aunty Lizzie was my hero, i totally adored her and she has been such an inspiration to me all my life. Lizzie was a Suffragette and fought hard and paid dearly for her cause. She was sent to prison several times and force fed. Granny would roll her eyes when Lizzie got political. Granny was also a woman of her times. She lived through terrable bombing in the second world war and held her own in a munitions factory surviving three explotions at the factory during her time. Her tips and advice, many of them learned during the rationing and shortages during the war have been used over and over by all our family...........she was never shy of giving you a tip on almost every subject.

Both have gone now but everyday i think of them in some way. Lizzie is with me whenever i am sewing and Granny whenever i am gardening, especially when pruning.............Dont tickle it girl, she says in my ear...get it cut down!

Strong women run in my family and i am forever grateful for it. My Mother was in research for Cystic Fibrosis, my eldest daughter in an engineer, my youngest has followed my footsteps and is a lawyer........ All of us blossoming from the strong wonderful roots of Aunty Lizzie and Granny
    Blog
    http://divinedaisydesigns.blogspot.co.uk/

Re: An introduction to Aunty Lizzie and Granny

Wow - what an awesome story! Your granny must have been whispering to my DH after I told him I trimmed the holly bush out front. By the time he got finished with it, it was almost unrecognizable. I'm sure it will be beautiful next year.

Hugs,
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
    http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
    http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

Oh, Daisy - I loved reading this. Reminds me so much of my grandparents on my father's side. (My maternal grandmother passed away before I was born - but I loved my maternal grandfather so much. He passed away when I was six - I just didn't get to know him well enough.) But Grandpa Jones was tall and thin, a veritable Jack Sprat of sorts. A very calm, quiet man with the depth of the world shining back in his eyes. Grandma Jones was very short, and very ROUND. She was probably more round than tall. She used to argue with my Dad all the time (even argued with Grandpa more times than I know) and would tell my Dad not to call her stubborn because he was JUST LIKE her. The only one of her six children still living is Uncle Al. Uncle Al reminds me of his mother so very much . . . but I wouldn't DARE tell him.

Don't you love having those influences in your life? I am so thankful that I take after my MOTHER's side of the family :-)
      Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
      it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Very nice to hear about these female influences in your life, Daisy. It runs in your blood! Where would we all be without the powerful impact of so many generations of strong women (and men!!!)?

Comment

Thank you for sharing your aunt Lizzie & granny with us. Your story is captivating. Give us more!

Comment

Thank you for sharing your family with us. Your story reminds me of My Aunts and Maternal Gram who raised 14 children. She was a midwife and quilter and I learned alot just watching her.
            Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
            :icon_wave:

Comment

ah thank you so much for your kind comments, they were amazing ladies. And Carol-Ann, dont encourage me! I have a million stories and tales, especially of Aunty Lizzie, i could write a book called the Chronicles of Lizzie lol
              Blog

Comment

Oh how I wish I knew my grandparents this well. By the time I came along (being the youngest in my family and the youngest grandchild to boot), they were all pretty old and sick. All 4 of them died while I was still pretty young. I feel like I am my paternal grandmother's child, though. She was a quilter, knitter, embroiderer, etc, and so am I. She was the first to die and I only have memories of going to the hospital when she died. But, she was always creating something and had a huge stockpile of finished items put away. My aunts had the wonderful foresight to put these items away as "wedding gifts" for all the grandchildren. We knew of the gifts as we grew up and had such a fun time looking at them in my mother's cedar chest. Today I have many lace doilies around the house that grandma made, and I've managed to preserve a few tea towels as framed art in my dining room. So her legacy continues on.
                When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Well Miss Daisy, I love them both! Strong women run in my family as well and it seems there was something about those generations that "broke the mold". Thank you for sharing! You were most blessed to share so much with them.
                  Sewing mends the soul.
                  sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
                  Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
                  ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

I had an aunt who quilted all the time. I wish she were still here so we could quilt together. But I do own a couple of her quilts. My mother tried to quilt but was told she wasn't very good it so her career ended. Too bad. I would never tell anyone that. When I made my first quilt I got her to help. Later I went home and just tightened her stitches and never told her. My youngest son got that quilt. What memories though.
                    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I would have loved your Aunty and Granny. What wonderful memories you have.....Barb
                      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Enjoyed your memories of your beloved Aunty and Granny! It must have been so difficult to live through those times but women like them are what made life better and easier for us as a gender. These stories must be passed on so the younger generations can realize and appreciate. I only wish I had paid more attention when my grandma told these stories and that I had asked more questions. Whenever I speak with elderly people today I make it point to get them talking about their younger years, the stories are amazing!
                        Thank you for sharing and I hope you'll give us some more of their advice!
                        Patti
                        "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Comment

you know, i think its only when you get older that you appreciate the stories and histories that make you what you are. when my daughters were younger .....especially my eldest one, i would try to explain the importance of womens rights, of equal pay especially when you work as she does in the very male world of geotechnic engineering. Her response was always.....Mum, you fought the fight in the 70's, you burned your bras and earned us what we have now. We dont need to fight because you did. We dont know what its like to not have these things and its boring to keep hearing about it. I used to be appauled when they didnt vote in elections after everything Aunty Lizzie went through to help earn them the right to vote.
                          Everything i said seemed to fall on deaf ears and be of no importance until recently. With maturity they came to appreciate what their lives could have been like without those who fought the fights.
                          So yes its important to hand the histories on, but oh myyyyyyy, what a frustrating process it can be
                          Blog

Comment

Do write that book, please!!!
                            I'm sure you hit the bestseller list with it. Those stories are all too important to forget about them. The younger generation will love them too, once they get older and think abour their heritage.
                            Appreciated your article about your Granny and Aunt Lizzie. I think every family had such women/men or else we wouldn't be what we are today.
                            sigpicgreetings from the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg

Michèle

Comment

Very INSPIRERING ~Daisy~
                              Thank-You
                              It brought lots of memories here. In my case it was Aunties and they are
                              "ALWAYSSSS...with Me".... It drives my Dear Better half "NUTZ".... LOL

Heyyyy…. Have you made a quilt in Memory of them?….
                              If not maybe you can make one adding blocks with their pics.
                              Just a thought.
                              :icon_popcorn:~When life throws you scraps make a quilt.~

Comment

Working...
                              X