SUNDAY, SUNDAY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SUNDAY, SUNDAY

RAIN DAY, RAIN DAY. I don't mind the rain today - looks like it will be spotty all day long. BUT, our dear Missouri River sure doesn't need any more added to it!!

Yesterday was a truly fun day. DD & SIL took the older girls to a church retreat and left Rita and Zoe with Nana and Papa. They were dropped off around 7:30 a.m. and didn't leave until about 4 p.m. So, we had to wake up first (the girls and I got back in bed and had a quickie nap before starting the day . . . ahhhh!). Breakfast was a new cereal they hadn't tried before - but loved two bowls full - and they couldn't understand why this oatmeal wasn't made in the microwave. They played with their doll house, Polly Pockets (why did I ever introduce those to the kids - especially after Momma said: "Nice, you can leave those at Nana's house to play with when you are there." Smart Mother!!), and watched some TV cartoons. They can't understand why Nana and Papa have advertisements and can't just pick exactly what shows they want to watch when they want to watch them. They don't get to watch regular TV at home - they have a Blue Ray and Mom is selective about what they choose on Netflix. Believe me, the 4 YO can figure that one out even though it is mind-boggling to this old noggin.

They just couldn't wait till lunch because they wanted to get in the pool, but Papa and I finally managed to convince them they had to wait . . . and even had to wait longer after lunch. That was not so much because of the old wives' tale, but more because Papa and I didn't want to get in the water yet. We finally made it and spent about an hour and half - both girls are sure ready for their official swimming lessons which start in a couple of weeks. This will be Rita's second year, Zoe's first - and she's jumping in, swimming on her back, making an effort on her belly, and putting her head under water fearlessly. She makes her bubbles and truly enjoys being in the water.

We just made it in, changed clothes and heard from Momma that they were on their way home - and Zoe went out like a light while sitting on my lap. Got her situated and Rita claimed the spot, only to fade before Mom and Dad arrived to pick them up.

I also have to share - after changing from our suits back into day clothes, I stepped into the bathroom and brushed my hair. I usually slick it back and let it dry - and it just naturally falls into place. Rita saw me and asked what I was doing - 'brushing my hair' - she looked at me with a strange smile and told me point blank "That looks creepy!" Gotta love the kids!!

Hopefully tomorrow will be a cool calm day for us to truly celebrate the 4th. We're headed to the kids place for a cookout, fireworks, etc. It should be a fantastic day and we are really looking forward to spending time with them!

I hope everyone from the US of A remembers why we celebrate - and may we honor all those who are so bravely fighting for our freedom on a daily basis. Thank you, to all our troops, wherever you are!! Thank you for past and present service.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Re: SUNDAY, SUNDAY

Gee it's quieter around here than it is at my house. Fixed a late brunch for DH and myself then went up to visit with my mom. DB and SIL were visiting too so we had a little snack together. SIL always brings some kind of goodie with her when they visit-today it was Watergate salad. Yum! She's a great cook! I put some ribs in the slow cocker to partially cook while we were gone. DH will finish them off on the grill later. I think i'll sort thru some scraps later and see what I can put together. I'm hand-quilting a half-hex quilt. i should be ready for the border soon. It's going faster then I thought it would. When it cools off later i'll take the dog for a walk. She is so happy to have her walks back again. I'll have to time it around the fireworks though, she gets a bit stressed with the noise.
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Howdy Sandy! I enjoy so much reading about you and your granddaughters! I look forward to the day when (hopefully) we have grandkids. But as our 2 kids are still in college focusing on their education and no "significant other" in sight, I think it will be a while.

We arrive home from Lancaster last night. What a wonderful trip we had. Of course I did some fabric shopping--went to 4 different quilt shops and came home with some great fabric. My DH is so wonderful; he says "buy it" all the time! But I did try to hold myself in check some. We stayed in a wonderful 200 year old house right in the middle of Amish farms. It was so peaceful and relaxing, watching the buggies go by and seeing the men working in their fields right from our front porch. WAY better than a hotel on the busy main street!

While there we also visited Gettysburg, Valley Forge and Independence Hall in Philly. We love history and being at these sights around the 4th of July made it extra special.

I'm looking forward to getting caught up on all the happenings here. Everyone have a happy and safe 4th of July. Let Freedom Ring!
      When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Martha, that sounds like such a great trip you made. Never thought about staying in an old house in Lancaster - I would love that though. I love that part of the country. And, since you visited Valley Forge, I have to share that my great-great-great-great-great grandfather was one of the first settlers from England around Valley Forge and the house is still standing. Last time I was in the area I was going to visit the home (since it is now a historical site) and they were having a festival and the home was closed to visitors! Drat!
        Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
        it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Hope everyone is having a great day. Made great progress on my qfk top so now I'm going to stop and spend some time with Mike. We'll have dinner and watch TV, but at some point he'll want to poke around on the computer and I can get a little more sewing in.

Sandy, you sound like the perfect grandparents! Your DGDs are so very lucky :-).
          There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

Working...
          X