Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good old fashioned hair ribbons - where?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good old fashioned hair ribbons - where?

I'm a 55-model and in my childhood all three sisters' standard appearence was
    brushed, combed shiny hair with bows on ponytails/pigtails/swept away from our wee faces.
    Even when my oldest granddaughter was a wee lass one could buy what we called nylon bows
    but now it seems that sheer/satin is the only ones available.

Does anyone know where I can buy the proper ribbons online?

Hugs from Eva Mari
    Fabric purchases require no justification!
    A stash must be carefully and constantly built. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Re: Good old fashioned hair ribbons - where?

I found a lot of resources on the internet for making bows, but couldn't see any about buying the ribbon. I'm wondering if you have a Michaels' Craft Store in your area? They carry a lot of ribbon....maybe there would be the right kind. Good luck in your quest!

Comment

I have used gross-grain ribbon for hair bows before. The kind of ribbon that is not shiny and has the ridges in it. You can buy that by the yard at most fabric and craft stores.
      We also used some stuff in the florist shop where I worked that wasn't slippery, but the edges frayed really easily if you tied it more than once, and the crinkles showed up on it every time you twisted or bent it.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
      Be who you are and say what you feel
      because those who mind don't matter,
      and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Thank you so much for responding, girls! *Hugs*

I'm afraid we do not have Michael's Craft Store here in Norway. And thanks for wishing me luck!

I think what I am looking for is called taffeta by you? Rayon, acetate, etc
        We cut the ribbon and then melted the raw edge in the heat of a candlelight.
        I have now found some at ebay and different places online in the UK. I'll test and holler if it turns out
        the way I hope for!
        Fabric purchases require no justification!
        A stash must be carefully and constantly built. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Comment

Working...
        X