How long is 'too long' on hold?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long is 'too long' on hold?!

I have a son in Belize on a church mission for two years. He was in need of a Root Canal. I called my dental insurance company to find out if he was covered outside of the USA. I was on hold for. . . wait for it. . . 3 HOURS 37 MINUTES!!!

I was just dumb enough to be on hold for the first 1 1/2 hours with the phone glued to my ear. . . that was when I remembered that I had a SPEAKER option on my phone, (Duh, smacks forhead!!!) So for the following two hours I was on hold with the speaker playing violin music and thanking me for my call, and telling me all representatives were busy and to please hold, and that the first available representative would take my call. (I was sewing my binding on my daughter's quilt while waiting.)

SO, What would YOU have said, if they actually had picked up the phone,( nope, they never did). . .

And, What do you think they were REALLY doing while I was on HOLD. (The recorded message at the beginning told me that due to Obama Care, they were experiencing a higher volume of calls and the hold time was longer than expected).

Me, I don't say the things that had come and gone from my mind as to what I would have liked to say to them, had they answered the phone...

And, I think they were taking bets, on which of us poor suckers on the line would last on hold the longest before giving up, , , I wonder if I won.?
    sigpicMiss Sheri

For me, it's all about Love, . . . Always!

Re: How long is 'too long' on hold?!

I waited two hours and forty minutes when I thought I had murdered my sewing machine and was looking if they could tell me how to fix it. Desperate times call for desperate measures! Hope you got it worked out!

My friends who now live in the Marshall Islands don't have medical/dental insurance. He had to have a root canal...$35! You might be surprised how cheap it could be to just pay out of pocket. That is why people go overseas for operations now.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Not only is it a 'side effect' of the new insurance program, it is also a result of the economy. I have held for a long time (not as long as you, though) for the last several weeks at different times trying to get to the right person at Blue Cross. Every time I call them, I have to wait and wait. The companies cannot afford to pay for the staff that they need to service the public. It is unfortunate.
      I pray when risen from the dead before the Lord I stand; perhaps a crown upon my head, but with a needle in my hand.

Becki

Comment

I never wait more than 20 minutes and then I hang up and call back. Sometimes those stupid automated phone systems get you caught in a loop and your call never really gets bumped. You ARE very patient wow! I think they should be lucky they didn't answer! or at least they would if it was me that was on hold for that long!

Comment

I would done like Wendy, hang up and call back.
          Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I waited 2 hours to make follow up appt. only to be sent to someones voice mail. They called back and sent me to another voice mail.
            I never did talk to anyone. They finally sent me a postcard in the mail with an appt. and said to call them if I could not make it. Really?

Comment

Oh Sheri.........there is no excuse for leaving someone on hold that long. It's just common courtesy. I would have waited a few minutes and called back over & over until they answered or tried going through other departments. That long of a wait should be reported.

On some automated calling systems if you keep hitting 0 it will connect you with a real live person.

I had to call the environmental health office last week with a question about our mechanical system. Would you believe they are only in the office from 8 to 9:30 am & again from 3 to 4:30 pm. I called at 3pm exactly.......it rang & rang. I hung up & called the operator # in that building & they connected me with the desk of someone in that dept.........it rang & rang. I hung up & called that dept again........it rang & rang. I repeated the whole process again letting it ring a couple of minutes each time. It was so aggravating........I know they are in the office.......they just don't want to be bothered.............so I had the operator connect me with a desk in that department. I decided someone was going to answer the phone or they would listen to it ring until 4:30 pm......so I put the phone on speaker........set it down beside me and played on the internet until someone finally got tired of hearing it ring and they answered the phone! I wanted to scream into the phone but I was very polite...asked my question & hung up the phone.........with a smirk on my face the whole time. It was a small victory......but still a victory! Score one for the customer!
              "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
              Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

Originally posted by slg0522 View Post
                I waited 2 hours to make follow up appt. only to be sent to someones voice mail. They called back and sent me to another voice mail.
                I never did talk to anyone. They finally sent me a postcard in the mail with an appt. and said to call them if I could not make it. Really?
                Wow...wow....wow.......
                "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
                Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

When I first signed up for Medicare, I had a problem! It took about 2-1/2 hours on hold to get to speak to a human. By that time, I wasn't speaking, I WAS SCREAMING,

Comment

Yep...that was waaayyy to long. I would not have wanted the kiddo's around if and when they finally answered. I have gone outside, away from the house to "discuss' issues before
                    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                    sigpic

Comment

I can honestly say I have never ever waited on hold for more than 20-30 minutes. My time is just worth way more than waiting on hold for amybody. I just keep calling back or find ways to get a person. If none of those work, send an email or of course if at all possible go in person. These days with the internet, I will search the top person in whatever company and file an executive complaint. Answers sometimes come much quicker. I am so very grateful for having a super health insurance policy.
                      Karen
                      Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

That is way beyond too long. I work at a major health insurer, and yes, Obamacare has generated far more confusion and calls than anyone could ever have imagined. Our call centers are working 12 hour shifts, 6 days a week, and simply cannot keep up. Also, insurance is very complex now, and you can't just throw temps or more bodies on phones - you need someone who knows what they are talking about. I have been in the industry for 27 years, a masters in Healthcare, and most days the insanity of Obamacare and the ripple effect make my head feel like it is going to explode! Thank goodness I have quilting for therapy

Comment

While I agree that the health care system is under heavy changes right now the practice of leaving people on hold is in almost every other business, service or organization we want to reach.

As to how long I hold on, it depends upon how important it is for me at the time. Emails and letters are usually ignored or responded to a month or more later, and if you send more than one written page forget about anyone reading or doing anything about what was on the 2nd page.

Comment

Working...
                          X