I'm not going blind afterall...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not going blind afterall...

The last few weeks have been a bit stressful at our house. Jim's mom started chemo and we've made the decision to spend as much time with them as possible which means a lot of weekends in Ephraim, Utah (2 hours away). My health has been so-so, so I decided to check my cholesterol and my HbA1c to make sure I hadn't crossed the line from pre-diabetic to diabetic. One of the reasons I decided to get this checked is because my eyesight is getting worse on a rapid basis. Turns out I didn't just cross the line. I climbed into a giant slingshot and catapulted myself just about as far as I could! (should be around 6, max is around 14, I'm at 11.5). My doc did not throw me in the hospital or put me on insulin, which he could have. Instead, he started me on metformin and a significant diet change.

The next day, I noticed a drastic change in my vision, and not for the better. Not able to read a menu, or the display on my phone, or the screen on my laptop, etc. My glasses - which I use for close up things like needlework - helped some, but not completely. In a panic, I called the eye doctor and they were able to squeeze me in Saturday morning. The eye doc very quickly assured me I do not have diabetic retinopathy (hemorrhaging in the retina) but that my vision is being affected by the diabetes, and that it's all good. When I person's blood sugar levels are elevated for a prolonged period of time, the cornea kind of elongates, making a person near sighted (which is what I was diagnosed about 15 years ago, which is about the same time we determined I was pre-diabetic). When someone goes on medication and changes their diet and the blood sugar levels start to come down, the cornea starts going back to normal. The metformin, which I started taking Wednesday morning, apparently started working right away. I am not near sighted anymore. I'm far sighted!

The doc won't give me a new prescription for glasses until he's certain my transition is complete. I go back in a few weeks for a follow up to see where things stand. In the meantime, I have some temporary contacts to help. When I wear them by themselves, most everything is clear. When I wear them with my glasses, everything is in sharp focus.

SO grateful for my doctors, for the promptings of the Spirit to go get checked out, and for the wonderful support I'm getting on the homefront. Also for easy to follow cookbooks that use real ingredients that won't shatter my food budget!
    If you can't see it from 50 yards away on a galloping horse, it doesn't matter.

Follow my quilting adventures at Quilting Foote

Come join all the fun in our Farmer's Granddaughter Quilt Along!

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. (I totally ripped this off from S)

Re: I'm not going blind afterall...

I'm glad to hear you're getting some answers & making some lifestyle changes that will improve your health. I also am pre-diabetic. My last Hg1C was 5.9, which is down from 6.5 a year ago. I'm careful to watch the carb intake. My downfall is not getting enough exercise, which would help immensely with lowering my blood sugars as well as improving my HDL levels. The goal of diabetes management is to prevent complications down the road. There's a ton of info. on the web that would be helpful. Look up the Glycemic Index of foods. It helps to avoid, or limit, foods that have a higher G.I. Most things white (potatoes, bread, rice, etc.) have a high GI & will cause one 's blood sugar to quickly rise. Check your blood sugar with a home meter 2-4 times a day to keep close tabs on how you're doing. A nutritional consult helps, too, to guide one in eating the right things. I wish you well with your diabetes management. JCY

Comment

I am so happy for you! You need your eye sight for quilting! ;-)

Glad that it was good news at the eye doc

Hugs
      sigpic

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
      The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
      A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
      And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Comment

I am glad you are looking after yourself.
        Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Glad you got to the doctor. Diabetes is nothing to mess with, my husband has it too. The good news is that it can be managed successfully. Lifestyle changes are usually very effective & metformin is one of the least expensive medicines for diabetes.
          If your insurance covers it, it might be worthwhile to see a dietician or nutritionist, at least to get some ideas & resources.
          Good luck to you, so glad you caught it early.
          May the road rise up to meet you...
          May the wind be always at your back...
          May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
          Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

Wow, that is scary. Had no idea that diabetes can do all so quickly to you vision. My eyes are dear to me, one of those quirky "don't me with me" things.

Glad you're taking care of yourself and following a good diet for your illness. Prayers that all continues to improve.

Huggers, Ruby
            sigpic Visit my fabric shopping cart YardageALaCarte.com - PM me for a 25% Off your Total Purchase Code, just mention "The Forum" in your message. Huggers, Ruby

Comment

I have diabetes,too and finally getting it under control. I see my eye doctor tomorrow and would have not thought about the blurring in my eye. One of my other problems is that I am blind in one eye and blurring in the other - just a blind/blurry mess LOL JUST TEASING !j yt? Thank you so much for reminding me that could be my problem,too I appreciate it so much.
              Mary :icon_popcorn:

Comment

Your eyes are not the only problem area with diabetes...kidneys can take a hit and be careful with your feet...if you get neuropathy you lose feeling and you can develop ulcers on your feet and not know about until its too late. Don't wear sandals, too high a risk for getting a stone under your toes that you may not feel. Crazy I know...
                LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Comment

Meli, that is great news and so glad that you went to the doc and found out what was going on.

I just had my 2 year anniversary of finding out I am diabetic. My A1C was 10.1 when diagnosed. I am also on metformin and I really watch my diet - I found I wasn't eating enough carbs throughout the day or just eating carbs at a meal, I also skipped meals a lot and then grazed through the evening. Now I eat regularly and my energy level is much better. My current A1C in January was 6.6.

If you can, go talk to a dietitian or nutritionist. It is all very confusing at first, but basically your healthy diet is what everyone should be eating. Portion sizes are the hardest to get used to how to count, but you will get the hang of it. Happy to chat more, pm me if you want.
                  Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

Meli, my husband is from Ephraim Utah and we have kids living in W. Jordan. (small world) I am also pre diabetic and need to get my act in gear. Your post has reminded me how important it is to take care of our health. Glad to hear you are doing better and have your health under control.

Comment

Glad to hear you're doing better. Sounds like you're on the right path to improving your health. My mom developed type 2 diabetes. She ignored the doctor's diagnosis. Because she didn't take care of herself and she didn't go to the doctor for regular check-ups she ended up developing glaucoma and losing the majority of her eyesight. It really had a major impact on the quality of her life once her vision deteriorated. So sad and so unavoidable if she had just been going for annual checkups AND if she had listened to the doctors who told her about the diabetes and the glaucoma. She didn't believe the young doctors who told her she had glaucoma. Instead she went back to her old eye doctor and he just told her she had dry eyes. Next thing we new she was practically blind. All of this was happening while my dad was in the last stage of lymphoma. Not a happy time in our lives. I'm not trying to scare anyone BUT I am encouraging everyone to have regular checkups if you value your health. These illnesses can have a very serious impact on one's quality of life. This didn't have to happen to Mom. She could easily have been treated and life would've been so much happier for her. For years we would end up thrashing the whole thing around always feeling so sad about it all knowing it didn't have to be the way it was. You should feel so good about yourself, Meli. You've taken affirmative action. You'll be so glad in the long-run.
                      Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; April 21, 2014, 12:56 AM.
                      Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Thanks, everyone, for all the great feedback! Many of you recommended going to a nutritionist to find out what/how/when to eat. I actually found a fantastic book called "The Mayo Clinic Diabetes Diet" as well as the Lower Your Blood Sugar Bible Cookbook" and the "Diabetes What To Eat Cookbook". The Mayo Clinic book is fabulous and I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone who is pre-diabetic or Type II Diabetic. It explains things so clearly, helps you set goals, explains why to eat certain things in certain combinations, has some recipes, and has a 2 week jumpstart menu that makes it really easy. The two cookbooks provid nutritional info for each recipe so you can figure out how many servings of each food group you're having.

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. (I totally ripped this off from S)

Comment

Good to hear you have a plan! I'm sure you will do what's right for your diabetes now you know what's up. Real ingredients for the win! I hope your new diet and the medicine has effect real soon and you will see (and feel!) much better.
                          ~ Anna ~

My Pinterest

Comment

I just got tested again as I was pre-type two a few years ago. I hope it's gone down since I joined WW's, lost a bit of weight and am trying to be a bit more active. Fingers crossed. Sounds like you have great doctors and an excellent attitude! That's more than half the battle right there. Best wishes to you on this journey! xox

Comment

Wendy, fingers crossed that your numbers come back just fine. And thanks for thinking Ive got a great attitude! You missed the several days of panic mode when the lab called with the numbers (which was about a week before I could see my doc). I was using Dr. Oz's fat flush water, or Dr. Fuhrman's soup, or the "lower your blood sugar over night by eating raw squid I swear it works" diet. You get the idea. I went grocery shopping and stuffed the fridge with every healthy thing I could find. Once I found the Mayo Clinic book I calmed down. DH is quite relieved. Me in panic mode is a sight to behold.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you. Let me know when you get your results.

Originally posted by WendyI View Post
                              I just got tested again as I was pre-type two a few years ago. I hope it's gone down since I joined WW's, lost a bit of weight and am trying to be a bit more active. Fingers crossed. Sounds like you have great doctors and an excellent attitude! That's more than half the battle right there. Best wishes to you on this journey! xox

Comment

Working...
                              X