Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some advice about a baby shower....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some advice about a baby shower....

When Ryan posted about making burp clothes for his brother's soon to be born child I began thinking about my DGD Mary. She and her DH are expecting their first child sometime this summer. Since they live in CA and most of the family live here in Jersey it will be a little difficult to surprise her with a baby shower. I'm open hearing some ideas from others who have given or attended virtual or long distance baby showers.

Best I can come up with is that without mentioning it to Mary we hold a shower or tea here, everyone brings an unwrapped gift, everyone oohh's and aahh's over them, we wrap the gifts and put them in a big box and mail it to them. They can have their own little baby shower in CA when they open the box of gifts.

Mary's sister Laura had a big, big baby shower a few years ago when she was expecting her first child. Shower was given by Mary and Laura's mother but unfortunately their mom passed away last fall. Mentioned a baby shower to DS#1, Mary and Laura's dad, but he said he only takes care of the girl's weddings. He is still in shock because his wife passed so suddenly. I think I'll talk to Mary's other grandmother, maybe we'll get together and do something for our soon to be born newest great grandchild.
    Last edited by MayinJerset; April 18, 2014, 12:16 PM.

Re: Need some advice about a baby shower....

I don't have any great ideas, but congratulations on your newest addition to the family.

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

We did that for my niece. She had a blast opening everything.
      “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

I like the idea of you hosting and then sending off the gifts as a surprise. Sounds wonderful.
        Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

It would be fun if she could open her gifts and you could watch her on Skype.
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Originally posted by Bubby View Post
            It would be fun if she could open her gifts and you could watch her on Skype.
            Perfect I think. Send the gifts, each wrapped, put i to big box and mailed. Then once she has it have everyone over and watch her open what they sent.

We have done this before and its lots of fun
            Karen
            Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

It sure is a nice idea! As a present you could also make a quilt like this as a memory from all the members of the family: Cactus and Olive: Baby Shower Quilt

Comment

Thanks gals very good ideas. May

Comment

When I was pregnant with our first child, we lived in Southern California and everyone else lived up here in Washington. My oldest sister had a shower just as you described....they brought gifts unwrapped, took pix, oohed and aahed, and then had a decorative wrapping contest. They even had me call so I could be part of it, even though we had no phone and I had to stand in the phone booth down the street!

They probably had more fun than I did, but it is the thought that counts. I'm sure she will love whatever you choose to do!
                  pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Maybe tell her about the shower and Skype during the shower ( after presents are wrapped). Or do a recording of everyone giving the mama-to-be a piece of advice.
                    Quilters never die, they just go batts.

Comment

May, make sure all your guests add there words of 'motherly advise' and write them down for her. Some of the best advise I ever got came from a family baby shower, from the kind wisdom of those lovely gals with many years of experience. If her own momma is no longer with her, she will appreciate it even more. Soome of the advise will be funny, some will be practical, and some will be priceless gems.
                      sigpicMiss Sheri

For me, it's all about Love, . . . Always!

Comment

My brother's wife is from N. Virginia but they live several thousand miles away in Seattle. I think some of her college friends are throwing them a shower but I believe they have asked for gifts from their registry (I think Target) be shipped to their home rather than brought to the shower as the cost of transporting an entire baby shower worth of gifts from coast to coast would be very expensive. I shipped them the quilt a couple months ago and I shipped them the burp rags yesterday. I don't know if my wife would be invited to the east coast shower or not but if she is she'll just bring a card and a big hug for mom and baby.
                        Loosely based on a true story.

Comment

My daughter was given a Skype wedding shower hosted by her fiance's mother. The guests wrapped and mailed their packages to Grace and then they had the shower over Skype. The ladies got to watch Grace open their gifts. Grace said it was a lot of fun to meet each lady over Skype.

Comment

Wow, Thanks everyone, All Great Ideas. I don't know if anyone has Skype but we'll see. Also like the idea of 'motherly advice' and having gifts from the registry sent directly to their home in CA. I'll be seeing other family members in a few weeks so we'll discuss the shower and I'll have my list of suggestions from forum members handy.

Comment

Working...
                            X