• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WendyI
    Missouri Star
    • Nov 2012

found a new quilt shop today

So woke up and went to have some blood work done and then decided to check out a quilt shop that I had heard about that is in the town over from us about 40 min away. I was not liking the blues that I chose for the 9 patch I'm attempting to make for my sister and needed more.

The shop (whose name escapes me now...Quilting something or other) is in a house built in 1862! It was amazing! Sad because it IS in a bit of disrepair but you could certainly see how awesome it would have been back in the day....there was beautiful crown moldings and trim work that was all sadly covered in many layers of paint.

Anyway, it was a very bright and pretty shop and the lady there was very helpful and the fabrics were at least recent which is more I can say for the place I normally go to that sells fabrics from lines that are a year out of date but charges full price for them. At between $8 and $19 per yard, that's just rude!! So I'm happy I found this place...at least if I have to pay that much for fabric it can be current!

SO it's all cut up and ready for me to start sewing it together! Wish me luck!
  • Hulamoon
    Missouri Star
    • Jul 2012

Re: found a new quilt shop today

One of the shops I go to is an old plantation house. Original floors even. It's so cool in there!

Fabric Shops | Lihue, Kauai | Kapaia Stitchery

Can't wait to see your quilt!
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
      Missouri Star
      • Jan 2012

My closest LQS is a mile away and it is in a historic home, so historic that they had to design two interstates that run by it differently so the home would not have to be torn down. I get mixed reaction when I go in, some of the clerks are really helpful, others are not.

Wendy, I'm glad you are going to do some quilt making. It's a very good distraction from the cares of the day!

Comment

• bkthomas
        Missouri Star
        • Apr 2012

Yes Wendy, what Jean said......enjoy and show us when you're done....or even along the way.....you know we love pics!
        ~Kathy~

Comment

• johowton
          Rotary Pro
          • Jan 2013

Isn't it wonderful finding a great place like that!!! Sometimes they are the best.

Jo

Comment

• bubba
            Missouri Star
            • Mar 2013

I go to one in a hundred year old church.
            pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• WendyI
              Missouri Star
              • Nov 2012

Thanks Jean and Kathy...it was a rough day today so I decided to head out for a drive and then found myself there. It was nice to be distracted. We are kind of in limbo at the moment so it's been very stressful. I cut about a million 3.5 inch squares of fabric this evening and then got a few blocks sewn together so that was very helpful to de-stress me!

I will post some pics tomorrow! I'm curious myself to see how this will turn out as I don't really have any plan...just sort of throwing it together as I go. Should be interesting!

Comment

• BobW
                Missouri Star
                • Feb 2014

It's always great to find a new shop. I'm glad they have current fabrics, that makes it even better. I have been putting off working on my third block of the month tonight. I have been playing on FaceBook. I was invited to join a group yesterday that is about the town I grew up in. So I have been looking at pics and communicating with some of the other members I haven't been in touch with for years. I also uploaded a pic from a boy scout national jamboree we went to and have been getting the names I had forgotten.

I may try to cut my blocks in a little while and watch the Tonight Show.

Comment

• Kateskloset
                  The Guild President
                  • Dec 2013

Sewing mends the soul! It's always nice to find a different shop and see what new fabrics they have. I shop between 2 here within 10 miles of one another, and I am always amazed how different their stock seems to be.
                  "She who dies with the most fabric wins"

Ecclesiastes 9:10 "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom."

Julie
                  :D

Comment

• plcloy
                    Honey Bun
                    • Feb 2014

When my husband and I were in Kauai a couple of years ago I made him take me to that shop! I loved it! I was intrigued by all the free roaming chickens on the island and found a delightful Rooster applique pattern at the shop. I made it up when we returned, had it framed and gave to my SIL - she just loves roosters! Fun place to go!

Comment

• Hulamoon
                      Missouri Star
                      • Jul 2012

Originally posted by plcloy View Post
                      When my husband and I were in Kauai a couple of years ago I made him take me to that shop! I loved it! I was intrigued by all the free roaming chickens on the island and found a delightful Rooster applique pattern at the shop. I made it up when we returned, had it framed and gave to my SIL - she just loves roosters! Fun place to go!
                      It's such a cute little place and they are so nice! Recently they put a chain link fence up next to the shop. I asked how come. Some dumb a** kid was doing donut's with his car for fun. So senseless and now it ruined the look of the shop
                      🌺 Lorie

Comment

• MayinJerset
                        Missouri Star
                        • May 2012

Wendy good to see you're out and about and pursuing your quilting. The quilt shop sounds charming and with good prices what's not to like.

Bob, Isn't it great fun to find old friends in our old home town? I recently joined a Facebook site about the area in Brooklyn, NY that I grew up in. It has been really nice remembering places and things we used to do, even the newer residents enjoy the big swimming pool we all went to, Prospect Park, the Brooklyn Museum and so much more.. Everyone chimes in about where and when they went to school, what were or are their favorite shops and places to eat and photos range from early 1900's up to the present time. I need to scan my photo of my grandfather and his taxi cab, circa 1911 - 1914 to I can add it to the Facebook site.,

Comment

• Monique
                          Missouri Star
                          • Jan 2011

Wendy, maybe I will have to visit it when I come your way in June.
                          Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• lawork1211
                            Block Queen
                            • Jul 2011

I have a somewhat local shop I go to about an hour away. It is called The Pig Patch. Yes it is out in the country in an old farm house on a working pig farm! You can see the pigs as you go in!

Comment

Working...
                            X