update on Momma and the four kittens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

update on Momma and the four kittens

So frustrated - I typed this out, hit the wrong key and it disappeared. Ugh.

So, I make a quick trip to the new house yesterday - really just to feed Momma and do a kitten check. When I get there, she comes out of the shed as usual. I feed her and then go into the shed to see the babies. As my eyes focused, I saw something didn't look right. It could NOT be. There was a possum in the box with the babies! It appeared to be sleeping at first. On closer inspection, I realized it was wounded and bleeding on the neck. I didn't know what to do. If I tried to pick up the babies, and it was "playing possum" I might loose a limb. If I didn't get them out of there - what would happen to them. It appeared that they were all still breathing. After consulting my DD (vet tech) and sister, I decided the best thing to do was make a new box for them on the screened porch. I also emptied a small plastic bin to carry them in. I decide to pick up the pool cue I had noticed sitting inside the door the day before and poke it to see if it tried to bite. If not, hold it down with it while I quickly grabbed the babies and moved them.

I could not believe what I was seeing when I went back in. There was Momma - laying on top of the possum and feeding her babies, totally relaxed. I grabbed them quickly and took them to the porch and of course she followed. I don't think she was happy about being locked in, so I hope my porch is still screened.

I had been joking about putting up a "kitten-cam" to watch them, now we wish we had. We can only guess what happened, but we believe the possum went into the shed to either get the babies, or get Momma's food that I had put in there for her and she didn't like it. I hope when I go back that it has woken up from it's coma and left the shed on it's own. I really don't want to deal with a dead possum, or worse, almost dead possum.

So the score is

Momma 1
    Possum 0
    Donna

Re: update on Momma and the four kittens

Wow! My hair was standing on my arms, reading this Donna. Good thing you moved the babies. Good Momma Kitty. She deserves an extra treat!
    Sewing mends the soul.
    sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Amazing that Momma Kitty was willing to feed the kittens on top of that critter. We had a cat give birth in one of our outdoor kitty igloos and the girls were totally enthralled. Momma Kitty wasn't so she moved them and a raccoon found them the same night. So sad.
      Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
      it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Oh my! That's kinda scary. I'm glad that momma and babies are fine.
        Sandy, that is sad. The girls must have been heartbroken.
        Cil
        A quilt is a blanket of love
        http://www.pinterest.com/cil3612/boards/
        http://www.creativelyhomemade.etsy.com/

Comment

Poor 'possum. I like 'possum. I'm glad the babies were safe tho! I think you did a wise thing moving them...hopefully she won't move them back! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by WendyI View Post
            Poor 'possum. I like 'possum. I'm glad the babies were safe tho! I think you did a wise thing moving them...hopefully she won't move them back! LOL!
            I know, I don't like to see any animals killed like that and it was still breathing, so it may just get up and leave, but I think it must have been hurt pretty badly. I felt guilty about leaving it, - but I can't afford a vet bill for a possum . She is so protective of her babies.

Sandy, that is what I was so afraid of, sorry to hear it happened your your girls kittens.
            Donna

Comment

Originally posted by WendyI View Post
              Yes, Wendy, you can get rid of the gamy taste when cooking if you insert whole cloves of garlic in the muscle. Makes a mighty fine stew - almost as good as muskrat . . .
              Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
              it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy Navas View Post
                Yes, Wendy, you can get rid of the gamy taste when cooking if you insert whole cloves of garlic in the muscle. Makes a mighty fine stew - almost as good as muskrat . . .
                ACK!! OMG! LOL! Poor wee 'possums!!! GAG!

Comment

I used to have a cat that killed a possum and brought it to the back door. Maybe momma cat is the one that injured the one under the shed. She just wanted a heated mattress to lay on.

BTW, the people that lived next door to where my parents lived had the sweetest cat who would come and visit my mom and dad. Her name was Momma Cat.
                  K is for Karen 😊​..................
                  Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                  T - is it TRUE?
                  H - is it HELPFUL?
                  I - is it INSPIRING?
                  N - is it NECESSARY?
                  K - is it KIND?

Comment

Glad you rescued the babies from that toothy critter...I DO NOT like possums...disgusting creatures.
                    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                    sigpic

Comment

Momma kitty is awesome. As are you. I would have been terrified.

Comment

Cats are crafty and viscious creatures (and I love them for it) - I bet she was fierce in defending her young. I hope it all turn out well (for the cats, I hardly know what a possum is lol), keep us posted!

*image googles possum*
                        ~ Anna ~

My Pinterest

Comment

OMG!!! 0.o

http://cdn.bobinoz.com/wp-content/up...9581de1c_o.jpg

Go Momma Cat!
                          ~ Anna ~

My Pinterest

Comment

What a bizarre story! You certainly have had a stressful time with this feline family of you've adopted! Hopefully, things will calm down now that they are on your porch.
                            Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

ewwwwwwww never seen a pic of a possum. How nasty is that!
                              Blog
                              http://divinedaisydesigns.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Working...
                              X