What boosted your spirits recently?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What boosted your spirits recently?

Just like the title says, post an example of something which has had a positive effect on you recently. There are so many bad or difficult things that each of us goes through, sometimes it is nice to focus on the positives no matter how big or small they may be.

For mine I am not going to use the obvious one (my baby) and instead I'll say I got a huge morale boost when I found out that the business where I taught a class about chicken coop design last year has invited me back to not only teach that class again but also another class as well. As all of you have probably figured out- I like hearing myself talk especially when it comes to talking about things I enjoy. Teaching classes allows me an opportunity to try to get other people excited about the things that I am excited about. Usually I teach horticultural topics at a local plant nursery but it can be very hit-or-miss about what they want taught and when. Expanding to other venues was already nice but to get invited back is sort of a confirmation that my first class there was a success. (I always think my classes are a success but I am probably not terribly objective in forming that opinion) I'm excited to be teaching a couple of things there and leaving the option open to teach even more.

What has lifted your spirits lately? It can be anything big or small. It is important to see, even in the face of adversity that each of us has to overcome each day, that there are still good things occurring in all our lives.
    Loosely based on a true story.

Re: What boosted your spirits recently?

I love this! Thank you for starting this thread Ryan....

This is not so much something I have overcome (tho that list is mighty long and growing!) but something that's going on with my middle son, Josh. As some of you know he's been battling Melanoma (with unwavering courage and success). One of the side effects of his study med is cataracts. He's also an artist, with lots of work in progress and some hanging in a local coffee shop with a show in the near future. He was loosing his eyesight daily, and it was getting to the point where he may not have been able to go out unassisted. Well, he had his second surgery Tuesday of this week, and it's been VERY successful!!! His eyes have cleared quite nicely, he may not even need to wear glasses, his doctor is VERY pleased with the results. This is something that, now that he has brand new lenses in both eyes, he won't have to deal with again.

This has lifted MY spirits immensely!!

Josh and his wonderful GF:
    72918_10151313088028460_1622704294_n.jpg
    Last edited by EnumclawGramma; March 7, 2014, 05:45 AM.
    sigpic~~Libby~~

Quilters make great comforters.

Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness.

Comment

Ryan, I thought you were the quiet, shy type. LOL! Congrats on the return invitation, that's a very good sign that your class was a success.

I got a haircut yesterday and it was a pretty day after all the snow and ice earlier in the week. That combo boosted my spirits.
      *~* Myrna *~*
      *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

Well, just posted this in the Good Morning thread, but here goes:

My Son, DIL and grandson are moving here at the end of this month and I got my new Vintage Machine "Marilyn Rose" yesterday. That made me pretty happy yesterday.

oh - and the stock market has been up! I never used to care, but as I get closer to retirement and my retirement fund is based on that, it has gotten my attention. I know, I know, what goes up, must come down.

Ryan - you should teach a quilting class!
        Donna

Comment

My passion is quilting. Every year I try to add a new skill. I have been Free Motion Quilting on my domestic sewing machine, a Brother PC420 for five months now. I am thrilled to say that I have overcome my fear of FMQ (which was intense) and have been able to at least partially adjust my mindset to think how to use the quilting to enhance the quilt. Here are the FMQ swirls and a cornerstone flower on my quilt Sunny Summer DaysFMQswirls.jpg
          Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Originally posted by DeniseSm View Post
            My passion is quilting. Every year I try to add a new skill. I have been Free Motion Quilting on my domestic sewing machine, a Brother PC420 for five months now. I am thrilled to say that I have overcome my fear of FMQ (which was intense) and have been able to at least partially adjust my mindset to think how to use the quilting to enhance the quilt. Here are the FMQ swirls and a cornerstone flower on my quilt Sunny Summer Days[ATTACH=CONFIG]70176[/ATTACH]
            Denise, great job!!
            Shirley :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

I already shared both of these, but 1) I found a cassette tape with my late husband's voice on it; and 2) I found out I'm going to be a granny again.
              My friends call me Peggy
              The government calls me Mary Margaret

Proverbs 13:22 A good person leaves an inheritance for their children’s children.

Comment

I hear ya Myrna. I am getting out today after being iced in since last Saturday! This lifts my spirits for sure. Only trouble is I am thinking of driving to Paducah and getting more supplies for my insulated lunch totes. Good for me getting out but Bad bad bad for my wallet!!!
                Ryan chickens lift my spirits too. Me and DD was just talking last night about the local co-op having baby chickens in now but I have to show restraint. I have sworn off getting anymore because of the coyotes and neighbor dogs. I had the carpentry class build me a chicken coop last year and had a whole bunch of silkies and the dogs started killing my big chickens so I sold all my chickens and the coop. Made me sick. I love having chickens to scratch around and sing in my yard. Restraint Restraint Restraint.
                Do you think you can post pictures of your chickens sometime? That would lift my spirits too
                Last edited by RFREE; March 7, 2014, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Our Starfish5 group recently found out --- that the Search and Recovery Ship - Polly L . . is about to sign a 2 year contract for a TV Reality show -- the producers for the remake of the Wizard of Oz have already done a Trailer - and has been submitted to A&E and Discovery - so we all are waiting with bated breath to see which company is going to grab up on this Treasure Hunt of a Spanish ship that sank off the coast of Amelia Island Florida - the Treasures are to be valued at 2 Billion $$'s

so that is our Song and Dance of the week . . L*~
                  2015 is here
                  Be Bold and Bravely put one foot in front of the other :)

Comment

I'm with Myrna, a good haircut lifted my spirits this week. Also had an enjoyable quilt/book small group meeting at my home on Tuesday night, all 8 members attended this month as the snow is mostly gone. 2 gals were new to our group but after a few minutes they both jumped in and joined the book discussion. Later we all had a good gab fest over Irish Breakfast tea and Irish soda bread as I had set the table for St. Patrick's Day.

Hey Denise, Your FMQ is outstanding.
                    Last edited by MayinJerset; March 7, 2014, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Another woman in my building tried to steal my cleaning lady and my ironing lady by offering double what I pay and both of them turnned her down. They said I am a really good person to work for. So of course I sent them home early , both with some homemade baked goodies.
                      "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
                      Hillary Clinton

Comment

Libby.......that is such wonderful news about Josh's eye surgery! Your story boosted my spirits.......you must be thrilled!

Great topic, Ryan.......thanks for posting it.

Something that boosted my spirits recently was a pep talk from Lonna. I was telling her about a meeting that I was nervous about attending.......and after a little pep talk from her..........I was more encouraged! So thank you Lonna. I sure appreciate my forum friends!
                        "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
                        Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

I feel very lucky right now. I got diagnosed with transitional cell carcinoma of the kidney on dec 23, 2013, as I was talking to our daughter ( who has been fighting leukemia for 10 years) her doctor beeped thru with news she also had cervical cancer, took the wind out of our sails , we were crushed, I had kidney removed etc and pathology was sent to mayos and it came back all contained to,kidney and I just have to have tests every three months as it can show up in my bladder. But I was so happy as I was afraid I wouldn't be able,to,help,our daughter through this next step of her journey, her cervical cancer isn't as bad as they first thought, she is a great fighter and always positive and never complains and also the mother of 5 children. This site has saved my sanity and not to mention the daily deals and fun projects I see here on the forum. And Ryan your little guy and your posts always make my day

Comment

Totally out of the blue I got a significant raise on Monday. HR says they did a study and several of us were underpaid for the market. How ofren does THAT happen?

Comment

Originally posted by EnumclawGramma View Post
                              he had his second surgery Tuesday of this week, and it's been VERY successful!!! His eyes have cleared quite nicely, he may not even need to wear glasses, his doctor is VERY pleased with the results. This is something that, now that he has brand new lenses in both eyes, he won't have to deal with again.
                              What WONDERFUL news!
                              Cathryn

Comment

Working...
                              X