Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bookworming Night Owl

I spent my fabric money on a new book.
    I did try to buy fabric, really I did. I just didn't see much that HAD to come home with me. I bought a quarter of a yard of flannel elephants for an Emily project, and I did find some shamrocks from the 2013 collection @ $2/yd & I got 3/4 of that at the remnant price. I did bring home some batting, which is what I really went out after. I used my gift card and an extra 20ยข.

I knew the latest J.D. Robb release was out and available at Costco. I even managed to get a "signed" copy for the same price as a "regular" copy. (I'm sure it was signed by auto-pen or a rubber stamp, but it's still kinda cool.) So my $20 of mad money was spent on a fresh read. Normally I add my name to the audio-book list at the library and wait for my turn to come up and sew while "reading". This will be an early birthday present to me. Now I will spend the next two days reading it. Some books are like crack, I usually can't stop once I get started. This author is one of them.

Do you consume books like me, or can you set them down and walk away and not wonder what's going to happen next or how will they get out of that predicament? Do you have a favorite author(s) with characters that you have a hard time resisting?

Well, I had better go refresh my ice water and crack open that book. I hear it calling my name louder than my sewing machine tonight!
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Re: Bookworming Night Owl

Yes I agree, sometimes books are like crack. I've always been an avid reader & once I start a book I usually can't stop until I finish it or go cross eyed. LOL
    I like Tom Clancy, Jennifer Chiavarini, and Fr James Martin SJ among others.
    Have fun with your new book
    May the road rise up to meet you...
    May the wind be always at your back...
    May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
    Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

Reading is another of my favorite hobbies. I also enjoy audiobooks while I sew. Some of my favorite authors are Laura Griffin, Pamela Clair, Suzanne Brockman, and Cindy Gerard. I tend to read romantic suspense but can't stay away from The Black Dagger Brotherhood books by Ward. If asked my favorite books they come from the youth category, all the Harry Potter books and from my youth loved the Outsiders.
      sigpicAnita G.

Comment

I am usually an avid reader as well. But since I took up quilting, my reading time has dropped considerably. Also, i work for a company that I read and edit a lot of reports. So sometimes I get really tired of reading.

When I do find those few minutes I like to read Danielle Steele, VC Andrews, james Patterson, and recently Karen Kingsbury. Also, when. I doget started, it is very hard to put down and I have stayed up way too late to finish a book.

Enjoy your reads!
        Karen
        Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Now how could I have forgotten James Patterson, love the Alex Cross books. Also John Sandford, his Prey series is wonderful.
          sigpicAnita G.

Comment

Quilting does take away from reading time. No favorite authors at this time, I like lots of them.

Belong to a quilt/book small group and we read an eclectic mix of books. This month's read is "Still Alice" about a Harvard Psychology Professor with early on set Alzheimer's, scary reading. We complied a list of books members would like to read in the future so I used it to choose a book for next month. 2 were available at local library so I checked them out to see which one I would choose, Nora Roberts "The Witness" and "The Girls of Atomic City" by Denise Kiernan, about the women who worked on the secret atomic bomb project during WWII. . Right now am reading Nora Roberts book, not usually my kind of book as the basic storyline is predictable but it moves along very well. Didn't know that Nora Roberts was also JJ Robb. As you can see we are all over the place with our reading. Even if most don't like the book we have read for that month we always find much to discuss about it.

Presently also reading a book that I'm quoted in, Kitty Genovese, A True Account of a Public Murder and Its Private Consequences by Catherine Pelonero. Again not something I would usually choose to read but again I have a personal interest in Kitty's story. .
            Last edited by MayinJerset; February 23, 2014, 12:25 AM.

Comment

I'm definitely the odd man out in this discussion. Spend fabric money on a book? No way! I am not/nor have I ever been an avid reader of books - especially fiction. I like to read - the forum, newspaper articles, magazines. Something I can read and be done with in a few minutes. I would much rather spend my time creating. Besides, if I were to sit still long enough to read a chapter, I would be asleep. I might add - I don't watch TV or movies very often either. The last movie I saw was at least three years ago. Just not my thing.
              Donna

Comment

I'm going to have to find my glasses. I'm not reading very fast tonight and my eyes are starting to twitch.
                Hubby had some dumb show on with lots of lame fight scenes. He slept through the whole thing and started to nod off through an even worse program. I turned off the TV and sent him to bed while I tuck the Miss into her nest for the night.

I don't usually spend the fabric $ on books either, but this series is one exception. Nora Roberts is JD Robb, and some of her other stories are good, but some are just fluff. I really like the J.D. Robb "In Death" series. A few of them have been uber creepy, but most are pretty good if you like the CSI/NCIS suspense stuff. It isn't my only genre, but I'm a sucker for these characters. I've been slowly adding to my collection of these books since I found them series mid-way into their writing. I really like the narrator for the audio-books too Susan Erickson has an amazing ability to create different voices for each character. There are a few that can do that really well, and she is one of them. I can hear the voices she uses when I read the books!
                Trust me Donna, I did try to buy fabric before I splurged on the book. I just wasn't into grey, orange, & olive green today and that seemed to be the colors that were out on display. I also have a stash I'm trying to work down, so that was weighing on my mind too.

Now to find my glasses and visit the powder room....
                Be who you are and say what you feel
                because those who mind don't matter,
                and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Oh my yes. Once I start on a book, I cannot stop reading until I finish it. I love James Patterson, Patricia Cornwell, and my fav at the moment is Jeffrey Deaver, and the Lincoln Rhymes series. I have read all of them, and heard a new one is coming out. the problem with me is, I can't do both...and my focus for the foreseeable future is quilting.
                  Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                  sigpic

Comment

I have always been a reader. Listen and read all kinds of different authors. Right now I am listening to Outlander by Diana Gablon . I like to listen to books while sewing, driving, and any other time. I am reading one book, listening to another almost all the time. Favorites I will read over and over. Seems like old friends at times. I love having a tablet, I can take many books with me when traveling. I would rather read then watch tv many times. Movies seem to leave so much of the story out. Next book in my listening que is Monument Men. After seeing the movie I really want to know more of the story. Oh yeah, I am a history junkie also. Rubbed off on the kido's to. Not that they would admit. Between living in different states and Germany they were influenced. My daughter has a major in antropology. She worked one summer on the dig in Jamestown, Va. As a teenager would complain about the history trips though.

Forgot talking about reading. Headed to bed, will read a couple of chapters on the way. Tomorrow plan on sewing and of course the book will be reading along in the background. LOL
                    Jane M (quiltnforfun)

Comment

I am not a disciplined reader, when I get a good book in my hands I can't put it down. Don't have a favorite author, I like so many. I just finished reading Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline. This was an eye opener as I didn't know there were actually orphan trains.
                      If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

My mom and are are completely addicted to Diana Gabbaldons Outlamder series!!!! I've listened to them so many times, but they never get boring

Comment

If a book really pulls me in I can spend way too much time reading. But with some books....I can put them down & come back to it a couple of days later. If I am reading a book and decide that I don't really care about these characters.........I can put the book down and never give it a 2nd thought.

I will be adding to my book collection at the end of March.........the weekend of the huge book sale that I volunteer with.
                          "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
                          Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

I love reading....usually crawl into bed with my Kindle at about 7 and read till 11 or 12 most nights. I just finished the latest Sisterhood book, by Fern Michaels, Blindsided.

I love a good mystery....perhaps a little romance along with it and am always looking for new authors. I especially like a series, where you can really get to know the characters. Have read the Alex Cross books, Women's Murder Club series.....can't think of what else right now. Oh yes Karen Rose is great - a bit graphic sometimes, but really good reads. Joanna Fluke with her recipe mysteries is fun too.

Comment

I've always been an avid reader.. and luckily the talking books came into my life at the right moment. Car wreck in 88 left me legally blind. (I have no peripheral vision). The library sent me all the equipment and a monthly book list to choose from.. And I went thru that library like a bull in a china closet!!

I now have an Ipod and it gets a work out... I'm listening to the Outlander series right now... and as I quilt, I read!! As I cook, I read. As I dust and mop, I read. As I travel, I read. When I'm suppose to sleep, I read. Yes, I love this little Ipod and all the technology that goes with it. Living in the 21'st century has it's perks........
                              Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
                              :icon_wave:

Comment

Working...
                              X