This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How often do you use your dishwasher?

Last night the Night Owls were discussing household chores that never seem to end and someone mentioned they use their dishwasher about once a week. Some friends have also mentioned they run their dishwasher once a week. They are also retired couples like DH and I and should pretty much have about the same amount of dirty dishes daily. One friend washes their dinner dishes, pots and pans every night. I run our dishwasher about 5 times a week or more often if we have company. I feel it is supposed to work for me, not the other way around. If I ran our dishwasher infrequently I think I would replace it with another kitchen cabinet as I could use one more.

Example: Right now our dishwasher has DH's morning cereal bowl, our 2 morning coffee mugs, 3 large soup dishes from last night's dinner (DS#1 was here), 3 mugs and small dishes from our tea and dessert, yesterday's morning coffee mugs, cereal bowl, our afternoon tea mugs, plastic containers that held veggies I put in last night's minestrone soup, DH's before bed cereal bowl, 2 glasses plus utensils. After today's lunch I'll add 2, soup dishes, empty soup storage container and dinner dishes so it will be filled and I'll run it during the night. I did hand wash last night's soup pot because it would take up too much space in the dishwasher.

Makes me wonder if I'm in the minority. What do you think?

Re: How often do you use your dishwasher?

Dishwasher we bought when we built our addition (an 18x24 foot kitchen!) has an option to do half loads, so that is what we normally do, every other day. Also, when we did the cabinetry, because of my back, I had Monkeyman raise the dishwasher about eight inches above counter height so when my back is flared up from my arthritis. Right now, even those eight inches are not helping! I did manage to get it loaded and run last night after the kids were over for dinner, but he is in charge of unloading till further notice!
    Last edited by bubba; August 11, 2020, 12:36 PM.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I run the dishwasher daily and sometimes twice on Sunday when I cook more. But I'm the only retiree who still cooks. I cook because I like it and eating out often gets so boring and expensive.

Comment

Just about everyday. If I miss a day - it usually makes for two loads the next.
        Donna

Comment

Well... We are retired and I have to fun it just about daily,, I enjoy cooking.. we eat out about once a week, but I NEVER use paper plates or rarely paper towels (except draining something) that is what the washing machine is for,,, and you just can't mop up wet with anything better than a dishtowel... I am NOT a house cleaning person my any means (ask DH... he vacumes and the dust is hardly noticeable because I have so much "stuff"...LOL)... but the kitchen is my happy place...everthing goes in the dishwasher.... yes, I pre-rinse..but I feel it sanitary because of the water temp..I have friends that still have the "dishes straining and drying" right there in the kitchen on top of the dishwasher... too funny.. we're all different.. I guess I just make a lot of pans and plates... oh,,, and here's the funny part.. DH uses "THE SAME COFFEE CUP" all day!!! and spoon,, rinsed and on a paper towel...drives me NUTS!!
          "Each day well-lived and Happy;
          that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

A gal after my own heart!!!!! so glad to hear from you.. I enjoy having couples over for "turkey dinner"... corned beef and cabbage.. Italian.. you know, comfort food!!! All the men say.."if your cookin',,, I'm comin'.... Very few here in our retirement comm. cook anything!!! cheez....................
            Originally posted by Amarillo19 View Post
            I run the dishwasher daily and sometimes twice on Sunday when I cook more. But I'm the only retiree who still cooks. I cook because I like it and eating out often gets so boring and expensive.

Comment

I am the dishwasher except weekends when it is hubbys turn to do dishes. No automatic dishwasher here just our old hands. LOL
              sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
              Time spent with cats is never wasted.
              Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Cokie
                Cokie commented
                Editing a comment
                Same here!!

If you know that there are 13 people (I kid you not) living here . . . sometimes the dishwasher is run twice a day - and I don't do it. Al and I have taken to hand washing our dishes . . . out of necessity. No comments necessary. I used to love my kitchen but hate going there any more. Enough said.

I do have a funny dishwasher story though. Al and I were vacationing and his Mom, who at the time was living in a very small one-bedroom apartment, decided she wanted to entertain the whole family in our honor. There may have been upwards of 30 people stuffed in that tiny apartment. One of Al's sister-in-laws and I got up, gathered all the dishes, did the clean up while the others were chit-chatting. We loaded the dishwasher and ran it.

Fast forward a couple of days. Al's Mom went grocery shopping and when she came home to put away groceries she realized her dishes were missing. A call to the police was in order, she'd been robbed. Talk about feeling foolish when she found the dishes were right there in the dishwasher - which she had never used.
              Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
              it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

• Cokie
                Cokie commented
                Editing a comment
                That is just so funny!! Makes a great family story.

I'm with you GrammaBabs. I do a lot of cooking and baking and DH makes his weekend breakfasts with lots of pans and dishes so I enjoy having the dishwasher helping with household stuff so I can sew and take it easy abit. We also eat dinner out on Friday nights and sometimes a late lunch on Sunday. Agree with Amarillo19 as it can get expensive and the menus do get boring, we use gift cards and coupons and usually take home enough for another meal so it often evens out.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy Navas View Post
                If you know that there are 13 people (I kid you not) living here . . . sometimes the dishwasher is run twice a day - and I don't do it. Al and I have taken to hand washing our dishes . . . out of necessity. No comments necessary. I used to love my kitchen but hate going there any more. Enough said.

I do have a funny dishwasher story though. Al and I were vacationing and his Mom, who at the time was living in a very small one-bedroom apartment, decided she wanted to entertain the whole family in our honor. There may have been upwards of 30 people stuffed in that tiny apartment. One of Al's sister-in-laws and I got up, gathered all the dishes, did the clean up while the others were chit-chatting. We loaded the dishwasher and ran it.

Fast forward a couple of days. Al's Mom went grocery shopping and when she came home to put away groceries she realized her dishes were missing. A call to the police was in order, she'd been robbed. Talk about feeling foolish when she found the dishes were right there in the dishwasher - which she had never used.
                I love your story. That is wonderful.
                When I was much younger and still living in Dallas we had one particularly long and hot summer. Our electric bill was really high so to save money I decided to wash all the dishes and not use the dishwasher. Did this for about 5 months. When I went to use the dishwasher again it leaked all over the floor. Called the repairman. The rubber fittings had all dried out and had to be replaced. He told me I needed to run it at least once a week that it wasn't good to let it sit.
                My DH and I are both retired and I run it about every other day.
                Ann
                Ann

Comment

LOL..... to funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the old school gals for sure!! Bill's Mom!!
                  Originally posted by Sandy Navas View Post

Comment

I use my dishwasher every day or every other day. I don't mind loading it but hate to unload it, so I try to pass that job onto someone else in the house.

We wash all of our pots and pans by hand. They just don't get clean enough in my old dishwasher. Now that I hate to do. Nobody soaks them! Or they soak them half way up the sides which doesn't get the awful stuff at the top of the pan! There, I feel better to complain.
                    Cyndi

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” - Victor Hugo

Comment

Once or twice a day sometimes!!! I like to cook and bake and have a 9 year old who thinks reusing a cup is dirty! Lol

Comment

I run it at least once daily. A few times a week, it gets run twice a day. We have 5 in our house...2 adults and 3 young kids. We very rarely eat out...maybe once a month...so we have lots of dishes.
                        Lori

Comment

As a single retired person, I run my dishwasher about once a week. If I have company in of course I have to run it more often. The apartments I live in don't have built-in dishwashers. I bought a portable when I moved in. My neighbors tease me about having the dishwasher for just one person. I laugh and tell them I'm the only thing that gets hand washed in my house. LOL

Comment

Working...
                          X