Cooper Family Update 2/16/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooper Family Update 2/16/14

I think I am finally starting to feel better about our entire situation so I thought I'd post a quick update about the state and progress of my little family.

Baby Sawyer is doing really well. He is still in the NICU getting antibiotics for his infection and being monitored for his breathing but he is strong and he is already off his canula (sp?) and his IV fluids. We are still working on breast feeding but mom's milk has not fully come in so we are pumping and feeding milk/colostrum but supplementing with formula as needed. The idea is to transition him to milk as it becomes available. He has a little jaundice and is spending some time with a special light blanket to help with that. I have gotten to hold him and feed him and change him a couple times. I'm still sort of fumbling around and every "baby task" is made 10 times harder when the baby has half a dozen wires and tubes coming off of him. I think I'll be better at all these tasks once he is not on so many leashes.

Mom is doing really well. I think we hit sort of a wall of tiredness, fear, anxiety, and general anger at the unfairness of our situation on Friday night but yesterday we got some sleep, had some visitors, and made some great progress on the feeding side of things and I think we're more positive now. Mom is up walking and eating with little to no trouble. She is still on pain meds but is only taking about 1/2 the allowable dose. I have been overwhelmed by her bravery and fortitude throughout this entire process.

I am hanging in there. I'm physically and emotionally exhausted after all the excitement and uncertainty and splitting my time between mom and baby but I think I'll be okay. I had a really low point about 3AM yesterday when all I wanted to do was cry about our situation but we made a lot of progress yesterday and I think things are getting better.

If everything keeps tracking the way it is now, Mom and I will be released from the hospital on Monday in the late AM. Little man is stuck here until at least Thursday. We are trying to mentally prepare ourselves for the psychological effect of going home without our baby. I honestly don't know how hard that will be until we get there.

I think I've covered most of the high points of what is going on but if anyone has questions I'm happy to try to answer them. Mom and I really appreciate the outpouring of love and support from all of you throughout this adventure and I promise once we all get out of the hospital and life begins to feel normal again I can get back to participating here and sharing better news and better pictures of my sweet little man.

I hope all of you are staying warm or cool or wet or dry or whatever you need to be happy.

Love,
    Ryan, Tabatha, and Sawyer
    Loosely based on a true story.

Re: Cooper Family Update 2/16/14

Thanks for the update, Ryan! I think of you and Tabatha and your little guy often, and have shared your story with several of my good friends! Will keep you in my prayers fir good progress on all fronts! Tab, hang in there with the breast feeding!

Comment

You have a beautiful family. You have so many blessings! Please remember to take time for yourself. As a caregiver, you can only be effective when you are well rested and healthy. Be patient with yourself, babies don't come with manuals, and most of the learning is by trial and error. Ask the nurses on staff any question you want an answer to. If they can't answer, ask the doctor. You're not expected to know everything - and don't let them put you off with 'you don't need to know that' or 'you wouldn't understand' attitudes. For now he is in the best place he can be, surrounded by caring and knowledgeable people. He is getting the best possible care. How lucky you can love on him even with all the wires and tubes!

You didn't ask for my advice - but I'm giving it nonetheless. I'm fairly certain that OB doctors don't prescribe meds that will harm a baby when the mom takes it. If she is thinking she's sparing her baby by only taking 1/2 the meds, she can be delaying her recovery. As a life-long chronic pain sufferer, pain medication is sometimes necessary for the body to heal. She just had major surgery! Her body is healing in ways and in places that we as civilians don't know about. If her pain is controlled by using half the prescribed dosage - good for her! If she's trying to prove something by only taking half the prescribed dosage, she's prolonging her suffering and possibly her healing needlessly. For me, I'm allergic to pain, so give me the drugs to take it away - even if they make me sleepy or stupid. I know its only for a little while.

For now, relax and enjoy! Be gentle with yourselves. Life is unfolding as it is meant to unfold for you. I can't wait to hear more about your journey when you reach your new "normal". By the way - 'normal' is a myth, and a setting on the dryer... You are all in my thoughts and prayers.
      Kathy Crofoot
      http://kathyscache.blogspot.com

Comment

Take it easy on yourselves.....and take the few days you have to catch a little rest! God Bless!
        ~Kathy~

Comment

Hey there Sawyer you are looking so sweet and cute and from Dad's news doing pretty good. Blessings for you, Mom and Dad and prayers that you all will be home together real soon.

Comment

He is a beautiful baby.. Go home and rest... Knowing that he is well and will be home soon. Love to you all. xxx
            sigpic Christine.

Comment

That little Sawyer sure is adorable.....I just want to give him tons of hugs. Sending lots of prayers up for all the Coopers for peace and healing and for the little man to come home very very soon.

Comment

Ryan, thanks for sharing your news on little Sawyer. He is in the best hands in hospital, you and Tabatha get all the rest you can before your beautiful boy comes home.
                ​Robyn

Comment

I've been thinking of your little family Ryan. As unfair as it is, Little Sawyer is where he needs to be getting the best care possible. And who knows, maybe they will let him come home early. In the meantime, rest up cause it's game on when he comes home. Your family is on all our prayer lists here and I hope you and your wife can take some comfort in that.

Hang in there Coach!
                  Sharon

Comment

Thanks for the update, Ryan! Your baby boy is beyond beautiful! I am sorry you have a bit of a rough patch right now with his health, but how wonderful that the knowledge, medicine and technology exists that will help him to get better soon! My thoughts and prayers are with you, your wife and sweet Sawyer.
                    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

(((Sawyer))) First think out of Aunt Ruby's mouth was "Ahhhh"! You're adorable and wish I could come out and hold/hug you!

Your mommy and daddy are doing a great job in this situation. We want to make sure mommy takes her meds and gets stronger too so that she can take heal quickly and be herself again. Daddy needs a giant hug 'cause he wants to be the protector of you and mommy! He is...daddy Ryan is a great guy! You're very lucky Sawyer.

Prayers and healing light plus my Special Guardian Angel Daisy is watching over you dear Sawyer.

Much Love and Huggers, Ruby
                      sigpic Visit my fabric shopping cart YardageALaCarte.com - PM me for a 25% Off your Total Purchase Code, just mention "The Forum" in your message. Huggers, Ruby

Comment

Thanks for the update. I know you have been through a lot with Sawyer's birth and the C-Section and Little Man having to stay in the hospital. Things will smooth out all at one time soon. This is a good chance for Tabitha to get a jump start on her recovery. It's difficult for a new Mom to be separated from her baby when she wants to breast feed.

My DD went through this with her first child. Her DD had to remain in the hospital for two weeks due to a heart valve issue and my daughter had bronchitis and she wasn't allowed to be around the baby. My daughter pumped and I drove her milk to the hospital and fed Bree around the clock. They lived in southern California at the time and traffic being what it was, by the time I would get back home from one feeding it was time for me to head out with another batch. She never was able to get enough milk ahead to take extra for the nurses to feed her once in a while. It was an exhausting two weeks, but we made it and all was fine with Bree.

Keep the faith...we love you and your little family. We're praying for you. My husband loved your family photo you posted and commented that you're a beautiful family and that you and Tabitha "fit" each other.
                        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Thank you for the update. He's so precious. My advice (even tho you didn't ask for any) is get as much sleep as you can as often as you can. I remember the time when I didn't think I would ever feel rested. Many hugs!
                          Shirley :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Ryan,

You & Tabatha have a beautiful son! All will get better with time. Ryan is very blessed to have such a loving dad and mom and because of that love he's going to be just fine! God's blessings on all of you!

Terri

Comment

Kathy has given you very good advice.... Please take it to heart".

Your little one is adorable....as our Jenny would say.... You are going to have so much fun with him.... Remember that babies don't come with manuals.....as our sewing machines do....... Wouldn't that be nice? Oh... I know there are baby how to books, but they can only go so far.... Each baby, and each set if parents is unique.... You have to learn what works for you and your family....

We has to go home without our second child, Andy, so I know how you are feeling.... It will be hard, but you and Tabitha are strong people.... You can do it.... Just think how wonderful it will be when you can bring Sawyer home.... Lots of rejoicing!

God's blessing to you all.

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Working...
                              X